And way up even farther north than our lovely Snowquilter, Claudia Meyers, the choke cherry trees are blooming in Alaska. I love the smell of them in bloom. The bees are having a ball! I am looking forward to the lilac trees blooming soon, too. All of our deciduous trees have popped out with their leaves now and soon the wildflowers will pop up, soon. We need some rain up here really bad, though. It's very dry here. I think it has rained once, maybe twice this spring in central "way up north" Alaska. When our wildflowers finally arrive (very soon), I will post some photos of them. But in the mean time, here is a hyperlink to my husband's photos of wildflowers he has taken with his digital camera on the tundra in past summers. So, here are just a few species of Alaska's wilflowers out in the country in the summer: Enjoy!

http://kl7ac.com/flowers.htm

LOL! Patty, I noticed the wild rose photo has two insects in there having a good time. The wild roses are beautiful but they sure have lots of little tiny thorns! After they bloom, we get to enjoy the rose hips. We make jelly from the rose hips. YUMMY!!!

I noticed Andre didn't have a photo of our infamous bright pink fireweed or the dasies, or poppies or the lupine. Those four are my favorites, along with the iris and the wild rose and the dogwood and the little blue flowers that look like little bells. OK, ya...I love them all!. :) Our flowers don't grow very BIG but we have so many absolutely beautiful little flowers and tundra moss. Sometimes when I am out exploring, I feel like a giant walking among and gazing down at the little tiny flowers below at my feet. It's a small world down there on the tundra and it's full of life!

Oh I just love your Roses, Irises and your giant Peony Bonnie. Shana's Flowergarden is so cool too. Our growing season is a bit behind yours to the south. My bleeding hearts are up, columbines are growing, no buds yet, and the delphiniums are growing lots. I just planted all my dahlias, pansies and waves. The garden seeds will get in next week, still too wet. We had cold, rainy weekend. But all your flowers are just beautiful. Thanks for sharing

Monika...that was a Rhododendron bloom...the peony hasn't bloomed yet...the buds are just starting, BUT oh, I will share once it does...its the most gorgeous pale pale pink that you have ever seen....and the smells of one bloom make the WHOLE house smell.

Speaking of Rhodies... I have a whole row of them in front of my porch. Purple. Blooming to beat the band. There was a very happy bumble buzzing in it last evening, or I would have taken a picture then. I'll do it later this morning and post on here. I love yours, Bonnie.

Shana, you are such a cute giant! LOL! I bet those tiny flowers aren't even afraid of you. I bet they love you, because they're happy to see a smiling human face in among all the bears and the Ididerod dogs. Ha! :D

Hey, that's weird, I thought my pic's were on the first page yesterday.... how on earth???

Mary Beth, I will send you my rhubarb roots, I cant get rid of the stuff! We bought this acreage 4 yrs ago and it was wild with the stuff, previous owners must have loved it, we dont eat it, I dont want it.

Thanks Bonnie for the correction, but it is absolutely beautiful, close up could have passed for a double petal peony? Iam trying to grow them here, hope they'll bloom. I wonder if Rhododendrom will grow good here, Have to check that out.

Have a great day Ladies, it will be a scorchere here, I think

Patty,

Those Rhodies are beauties...I would love to plant some here..

Monika,

I dug up a huge root of rhubarb in Iowa last summer....it was so healthy until I got a hold of it. I don't have problems with any other plants...except the one I really want to grow:) My DH loves anything rhubarb...crisp, jelly, pie...anything and everything. All the Iweegians (spelling - you Iowa people know who you are ;) ) have it growing in every yard in town...Guess I need to move to Iowa....but I'm telling ya, they will think Forrest Gump's sister is in town!! ;)

Mary Beth

Patty - the flowers are beautiful!!! I love them in all colors but especially purple. My gma had an orange one that was just lovely.

I love them so much that it is even the name of the street I live on! Great tricks were used to get my daughters when they were young to learn to spell their address! LOL!

Big thank you for sharing your gardens. I feel as if I've received a big bunch of flowers :)

1st day of winter here in Oz so not a lot of prettys left, only a few sad roses in my garden. Don't expect to have a lot of Camelia's flowering this season due to the drought and sadly my Rhodie didn't make it. Our natives are doing fine so we do have a some beautiful Gravillias in flower that the birds love.

Thanks again for the pics

Cheers Satu

Archived