directional tension issue

I hope someone can help with this tension problem. I was using the stitch regulator with the CL baptist fan template. You can see in the attached photo of the quilt back that the tension is fine in one direction but really screwed up in the other. How do I adjust the tension to be good in both directions?

post--13461898097897_thumb.jpg

I agree with Sue, by the way the top thread is being pulled in the corner and and the top thread pokies, the top thread needs to be tightened til the pokies are gone and the corners aren't pulling through. I might even loosen the bobbin a teensy bit.

Also, make sure in both directions keep your movement smooth. Sometimes it is easy to pull or push faster in one direction.

I would love an list expert's opinion, but when the machine is moving right to left ( & maybe bottoms up) is there a little more drag on the bobbin, causing it to have that stretched look like Cat is having?

When I first started longarm quilting, I noticed the problem and got really worried about the quality of the stitching.

Another reason that it might do it is that your quilt is pulled too tight on the rollers. Just release the tension slightly and it should improve the stitching.

Let us know what works.

Brigitte from the UK.

I have had this same problem, too and talked with Marilyn Badger about it and she said that with each bobbin you put in, you need to check it and see if it creeps down like a spider, especially if you are winding your own bobbins. Then, once the bottom tension is correct, then it is just minor turning in the top. When I get tension like this, I usually have to tighten the bobbin tension and then it is easy to fix the top. Good luck!! Let us know what works best! I am interested to hear!

luv2kwilt

APQS Millennium

Originally posted by luv2kwilt

I have had this same problem, too and talked with Marilyn Badger about it and she said that with each bobbin you put in, you need to check it and see if it creeps down like a spider, especially if you are winding your own bobbins.

OK, so is "spider creeping" mean that the bobbin falls like a "yo yo" (slightly bouncing it) or is "spider creeping" when the bobbin falls very, very slowly down without bouncing it?

The reason I ask is I've seen spiders fall both ways: Bouncy and also like Spiderman does in the movies -- straight down without the bounces. Which way is better for my bobbin test?

I never was able to get the drop test to work so I bought the Towa guage for the bobbin. I keep my bobbin at 20 and then adjust the top tension. I also check the bobbin tension each time I change the bobbin just incase the bobbin winder tension varies a bit.

I also found that with the directional tension issues, mine usually accures when I get too comfortable with a a design/panto and then my speed increases too much for the speed of my machine causing my needle to flex too much. Keep your spped consistant through out the whole design once you have the proper tension set to your liking and you will be a happy quiltler.

Joann

Hi Joann. Thanks for the reply but I don't have the Towa gauge so your advice doesn't help me with the bobbin drop test. If anyone else can give me some advice about the drop test (whether it's the hoppy boppy spider creep drop or whether it's the slow smooth Spiderman creep drop), I really appreciate it. Thanks! :)

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

If anyone else can give me some advice about the drop test (whether it's the hoppy boppy spider creep drop or whether it's the slow smooth Spiderman creep drop), I really appreciate it. Thanks! :)

HI Shana, I was at our local longarm guild meeting this weekend and Nancy Goldsworthy was our guest speaker. She wrote a book titled " Needles & Threads & Bobbins, Oh, My!" What she said to do to test your bobbin is to lay your bobbin in the palm of your hand and then pull up on the thread. She said the bobbin should stand up but not lift entirely off your palm. If the bobbin is set too loose, it won't raise up. If it is too tight, the bobbin will lift off your palm.

I haven't tried this yet, but I could never get the drop test to work and I purchased a Towa. I love it and I have found that if I have it test out at 18-19, my stitches are the best. All machines seem to be slightly different.

I'm not real sure about the spider thing;)

If you do a search of this site, look under Sylkamode's posting, specifically the one on May 8, 2007. Dawn C. responded, and gave some really great info on why we have directional issues, and how to cope with them. I ended up printing out a copy to have with my girl when we are having issues.

Good luck,

Beth

OK, Thanks Sue and Thanks, Beth.

I will try the palm pick up test and I will also find the post from Dawn Cavanaugh and print that out to keep in my maintenance binder. :) \\

I might get the Towa tension gauge, too. I've been playing with my top and bottom tension to see how it all works. So far I've not had many problems and I'm making some minor adjustments.

I'm glad you clarified spider creep. I had no idea what you meant. :)

I've never been able to get the bobbin drop test to work because the bobbin almost always falls out. I now have the TOWA. 20? My bobbin is much looser. Is the TOWA reading just a relative number? Should I adjust the bobbin until the tension is correct and then get a TOWA reading? Not sure how to use the TOWA.

Archived