Check spring

Little House Creations

I'm wondering if the check spring (after the tension disc, before the L hook) ever needs changed. Sometimes I see thread almost jumping when I am stitching as it passes through the pigtail before the needle. I'm getting occasional bird's nests on the back ... So I'm wondering if that check spring is worn or "tired" ....

Yes that check spring does need changing occasionally.  It will get a groove worn in it just like the pigtails but not nearly as often.  The check spring’s job is to prevent the thread from getting wrapped around the needle.  It does this by taking up any free play between the tension and the needle when the needle is out of the quilt.  Some will disagree but it really should have no effect on tension unless the thread is snagging on the spring.  Have someone record the thread path with your cell phone camera as you are quilting.  When you review you may see your problem is further up the thread path, not feeding off cone properly, first guide not centered over cone, thread not inserted fully in tension discs etc.  

When you find your solution please post back.  It will help someone in the future.

Nigel

• 1 year later...

I notice that every now and then that there is no tension at all for about 8 inches and then I have perfect tension. At that time there is a loop at the back of my quilt. This happens only once in about 80 inches. I was wondering if this could be the take up spring.  I notice when I was trying it out on a piece of scrap on the side of the quilt I stopped and then notice that there was no tension on the discs.

IMG_20220212_105452.jpg

IMG_20220212_105507.jpg

IMG_20220212_105430.jpg

IMG_20220212_110048.jpg

IMG_20220212_110822.jpg

Also, do you have a piece of batting in the first thread guide above the spool?  That is one recommendation I've seen frequently.  You don't want a piece so large that it impedes the thread.  It should just take up some of the space so the thread isn't able to "jump around".  Also, I believe that thread guide should be angled so the loop is directly above your spool.  The thread should go straight up to that guide and not angled towards the front or back of the machine.