marked lines not coming out of top

help...i have a pre-printed wholecloth top that a customer bought me (my first) and now that it's finished i'm trying to remove the lines and YIPES! the lines are not coming completely out. where i followed the lines you can't see them, but where i didn't you can still see a faint line. this is disappointing because i was hoping to enter it in a show this sept. does any one have any ideas.

i have washed this quilt for almost 24 hrs straight in cold water using every soap i have and could think of.

i have attached a pic of it before i washed it...

How old is the top? I took a class from Nancy Goldsworthy (sp?) a while back and she mentioned that inks have changed over the years and now detergents don't always get all the ink out. She has a method using buttermilk and lemon juice (yuk) that worked for her. I will try to dig out my notes and post it.

Best of luck,

Leslie

Hmmm...interesting.

Kinda related: Sometimes when I need buttermilk for a cooking recipe and I don't have any, I "make my own" buttermilk by adding a little lemon juice to regular milk and it is a good substitute for buttermilk. But, I've not heard of using buttermilk and lemon to get a stain out of fabric before, though. Hmmm... You learn something new every day! :)

Here's one that I copied off of another chat, she also mentioned using Dip It, (the coffee pot cleaner), but didn't know how to use it.

One cup liquid Cascade and one-fourth cup Clorox 2 mixed with

one gallon of warm water. You can soak the fabric for several hours before

thoroughly rinsing it. Repeat if necessary. Double or triple the recipe

depending on how much fabric you're cleaning.

I got this recipe from Leslie, the Crafty Unicorn. 1 gal buttermilk, 12 FRESH squeezed lemons, not bottled, soak 1-1/2 hrs. then wash. Good luck. I gave this recipe to a customer but haven't tried it myself. I quilted an old (50 years) quilt with the blue dots for quilting marks. Hope it worked for her.

thanks for all your suggestions...i finally got them out after washing the quilt for about 16 hrs straight...dawn dish detergent seemed to help. if you didn't know where the lines were to begin with you wouldn't notice...

im going to try to post a pic, i figured out what i was doing wrong...

it's my first and i'm pleased with it. i left myself tons of room for improvment :)

post--13461898248613_thumb.jpg

I agree, anything that's been printed for a very long time will have the markings somewhat set. You don't know if that quilt had been in a hot attic for years.....

I guess the moral of the story is, to let the client get those lines out, as they were there when she brought it to you. I trust my own marking techniques but can't speak for those already there.....

Archived