bobbin thread vs top thread

Hi

I've a question about using the same thread on top as in the bobbin. I tried to search this out to see if there was already some info about this on the forum but can't find the search feature so...here's my question.

Do you use the same thread in the bobbin as on the top? I want to use King Tut on the top but Bottom line in the bobbin and was wondering if this would work. I'm going to load a sample quilt tomorrow and play around with this and other combos and make notes with what works and doesn't...but I also wanted to see what works for you girls.

Another question...have you ever had a bad spool of thread..one that breaks all the time for no good reason? Yesterday I spent several hours trying to do a panto on a clients quilt and the break kept breaking about every 10 seconds of sewing time. I replaced the needle 3 different times, tried several different bobbins, rethreaded the machine then out of shear frustration changed the brand new spool of thread for another new spool and my problems ended. Now why did the first new spool of Signature Bottomline keep breaking and the second new one be ok? Should I throw out the other one?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rita

I use bottom line or prewound in then bobbin almost all of the time. The only exception to this is when I have a solid back and I am using rainbows on top. Then I will use rainbows on the back and the customer has a reversible quilt!!

I have silicone thread lubricant from ClearCo that I use with thread that breaks alot. I usually only do this as a last resort. I've done this with 3 spools of thread now and the breakage problems have gone away.

Debbi

Thanks Debbie, I do have a thread lubricant but wasn't sure if that would make a difference. I've marked the spool and will try that next time I use it. I also didn't know that Signature would replace the spool....so I'll try it again and if it continues to break will contact them.

Thanks for the help.

Rita

I've also heard that thread in low humidity will have a tendency break too. That's a problem we have in the desert! I try to run a humidifier when I can to keep the humidity a little better. Here in the desert SW the humidity is often below 20% 9 months of the year. Good luck.

What type of thread were you trying to quilt with? I got a cone of Masterpiece when I bought my girl, and was told later that it's made for piecing, hence the name "master-piece". I guess I'm a slow learner. I think that some threads work great for certain machines, and maybe not others. I'm finally figuring out that my girl likes me to wind bobbins, not use pre-wound. Several people have commented on having difficulty with King Tut, but it works great for me. Try the thread lubricant, I use sewers aide, but have only had to use it on one specific spool. Good luck to you. Beth

I have only had one spool of King Tut that kept breaking no matter what I did and of course Heather replaced it for me. I almost always use KT because it doesn't break and Bottom Line in the bobbin... I had a problem with the plastic pre wounds they slipped and I kept getting backlash no matter what I tried...so I ended up rewinding them onto metal bobbins so now I just wind them to start with, it's cheaper that way.:D Plus always using the same type thread in the bobbin means you hardly ever have to mess with the bobbin tension.

Rita,

Its Superior that will replace their thread if its bad; not Signature. They are two different companies. Both King Tut and Bottomline are from Superior.

I've used King Tut on top with Bottomline on the bottom and with King Tut on the bottom. I prefer King Tut in the bottom if I'm using it on the top. That way if my tension isn't quite perfect I won't get little bumps of a solid color on the top or little bumps of the variegated on the back. Both of those things bother me so I would be constantly frogging and re-stitching.

This is just my experience--I've never heard anyone else mention it, but when I use a King Tut with yellow in it I seem to have more breakage in the yellow part. Its probably just some coincidence, but it is something that I've noticed and wondered about. It would make more sense if it was a darker color. Now don't take that comment wrong. I love using Kint Tut and use it frequently. My favorite variegated though is Rainbows, especially Autumn Leaves #804.

Phyllis

I seem to have no problems running King Tut on my machine, but more problems running Rainbows. I usually shy away from Rainbows unless I am using them in the bobbin.

As to different threads in the bobbin...always...never had a problem with tension but I love my Towa gauge for correcting bobbin tension.

:)

Cheryl

Hi Phyllis

The thread I was using, that was breaking so much was a pale yellow Bottom Line by Superior. Sorry if I mixed up the brand names earlier. the second spool that I put on was exactly the same color made by the same company. And altho it's normally excessively dry here it's been raining on and off for a week so humidy is high. I had thought that dryness might be a problem...but then when the second spool worked perfectly then I knew that there was something wrong with the first spool.

A friend of mine has a couple different bobbin assys for each different thread she uses and has them marked...she says her bottom tension problems are now solved. What an awesome idea!

Shana, you're right....this is an awesome place! I learned so much and do doubt will learn a lot more. ;^)

Rita

This site is like taking class in quilting. Every time I read through all of the posts where there is a problem being discussed I learn something new. I print the best ones out and keep them in a large binder. Grateful for all of the input and the varitey of experiences.

It's not uncommon for certain colors on variegated threads to be more fragile than other colors patches on the same spool/cone. I imagine it has something to do with the caustic dyes used and the varying strengths used to get those colors.

As far as mixing top/bottom threads with non-matching fiber content, I think this is more commonly done than ever before. During the old home-ec days (boy, does THAT ever date me! LOL!), we were taught to always use cotton with cotton and poly with poly, likewise, we were told to use similar weights of thread. Much of this no longer true.

For thicker threads you will find that finding the correct tension in the quilting stitch is made easier if a much lighter weight thread is used. This is because the resulting knot formed by the interlocking stitch is smaller and can be buried easier into the quilt sandwich. In addition, using a lightweight poly thread with a heavier cotton thread will not only allow for a smaller, nicer knot but it will be stronger against the heavy cotton thread and reduce possible breakage of the bobbin thread.

Having separate bobbin cases is a great idea to keep in mind. You might discover that you really only need two. I have three but I forgot I even had the third one until I ran across it the other day! I have such success with the two I have, I must've just not found the need for a third. Still, I'll keep it on hand for when I drop a case and step on it. (Unfortunately, I AM a klutz!)

FWIW

Christine Olson

Hope this helps some of you, it is an old but very good trick for Storing your thread.

Keep it in the Refrigerator or freezer will help with brakage. Even putting it in over night will sometimes help.

When I have extra spools of color I keep them in the freezer until use. I have a freezer in my quilt room. If the one I am using gives me problems I pull out the moist one. It always seems to help.

I keep all my embroidery machine metallic thread there when not in use. It is very sensitive to the fast speed of the embroidery and freezing keeps it moist.

Would live to hear from anyone that tries this.

Bobette

Paradise, CA

If you are using any of the many great Superior threads, you will find a lot of information on their website. Bob Purcell is an excellent resource for general thread information - in quilter language and everything! The education area of the website gives excellent information about tension, thread storage, troubleshooting, etc. Superior also guarantees their thread so if you are having a problem with a particular spool or pre-filled bobbin they will replace it. Give them a try.

Joann

CottonWood Studios

George

Here's just my opinion and you can take it or not, whatever. I have tryed almost all brands of thread and though my machine is awesome, I am still frustrated with any thread that isn't Superior. If I am using Superior and having breakage then I know I am the one doing something wrong and it is me that has to figure out what it is. Signature breads soooo easily, right now I am using a YLI metallic and having to be very very careful but wanted to use it up before justifying buying Superior metallic (bought it long long ago!)

King Tut I almost always use with Bottomline of a lighter thread. Unless the backing really begs for a specialty thread I save the money and just use a Bottomline thread. Awhile back I used a slightly varigated beautiful taupe King Tut on the bottom and when it was done I didn't think it would have made any difference if I had just used Bottomline or something similar, not to tell you that I'm sure it takes at least twice as many bobbins full of thread with King Tut on the bottom.

Rainbows are a bit trickier but well worth the effort! I use it alot alot alot but know that I have to reduce just a bit the tension on my bobbin. Because Rainbows breaks a bit easier you can't have as much top tension as you can with King Tut and because it still has to pull up that bobbin thread up so you don't get railroad tracks on the bottom, you have to loosen the bobbin tension so it can still pull it up.

Hope that helps a bit. I don't fool around with anything like freezing thread (way too much work as I would have to go out to the garage to the freeqer!) haven't even used Sewer's Aid (but everytime I read this suggestion on a post I remember that the next time I seem to have a problem I should try it) I just always figure it out. My take on Signature bottomline, don't like it, just my opinion and if it works for you great, but for me it is just way too time consuming to fiddle with it. Since reading these posts though I am a bit concerned with thread drying out as in winter we heat with wood and it is really dry, so, don't know if this helps, but I store my thread on thread racks from June Tailor (tryed the plastic drawer thing and plastic tub thing but never could SEE the thread so found that frustrating not to be able to glance at the wall and make a decision) but I keep the plastic bag on them and always replace them after I have used the thread and put it back on the wall. Don't know if this will help with dryness but to me it makes sense, kinda like a loaf of bread dries out if not in a plastic bag?

Anyway, don't get frustrated with thread and stay with ho-hum thread just because you have a few problems. With all the beautiful threads out there it is worth figuring out how to use them because they can sometimes just make your quilting sing!

Cher

For what it is worth here are my two cents

when I quilt I will use almost any thread top or bobbin and had to use sewers aid only once.still did not eliminate thread breakage and I changed the thread which solved my problem.

I buy my threads frequently therefore knowing they are fresh, when a customer insist using their own ,that`s oke too as long as they buy it just before bringing me the quilt, I always explain why and haven`t had any problems so far.

The weight you use for threads should always equal 100 or very close to it and you won`t have many problems if any at all. Example top thread is 50 wt then bobbin should be 50wt, top 70wt. then bobbin 30wt. and so on.I have used this formula and it doesn`t matter the type of threads I use:cool:

Those were my two cents worth I hope it helps you all.

must sign off , keep on quilting

Hubert

I've had problems with one spool of the coats and clarks quilting thread (in the squat spool, sometimes referred to as Star thread)

I've used other colors with tremendous results, but the spool of red had slubs, and kept breaking and cause more lint than I have ever seen. The next spool I used was Old Lace from the same company and had not a single thread issue.

I prefer signature, but right now I'm using what I have.

OK, I am so glad for this chat room!!! Hello all. I am a newbie. Just got my new Liberty set up on Sat. and was quilting yesterday!!!!!!!!!! Yes, I know I am brave, but I have spent many hours quilting the tops on my regular Phaff machine (which is great for stippling). Of course, heeding all advice, I decided to use all cotton thread in the quilt that I am working on (just because I was too anxious to try out my new baby and did not have poly in the color I needed to match the quilt back). Well here I am, fat, dumb, and not too happy, because I did not check the bottom (top looks great) until halfway through, and guess what, it look like hell!!! Gotta laugh, too far gone to cry!!! So I started playing with the tension and it is a little better. It is 50 wt. cotton. The bobbin stitches still look tight. Maybe I have the quilt rolled too tight?!?!? Being a newbie and all, Im sure it could be just about anything. Ha-Ha. I sure will have a lot of questions for my first lesson next week!!!

I look forward to further chats with everyone. By the way, I do plan on starting a business. Right now I am on school break from my part time position as assistant librarian at the local school. Husband is really proud that I got the loan for the machine all on my own!!!

Ok, enough for now. . .:)

Archived