THE WORLD OF QUILTING ACCORDING TO DAWN CAVANAUGH

mbq

Thank you Dawn for always giving such great advice! I took a course with you @ Innovations last year and loved your sense of humour and no nonsense approach. Do you have a book in the works?? The next best thing for us is to do like Shana said & print out the sheets with all the invaluable advice ( & encouraging words) Any plans for workshops in the Pacific Northwest??

Just wanted you to know how much appreciate your "APQS tutorials "

Hi Valerie,

I'm glad to share what I've learned over the years, and hopefully have saved a quilter or two from making some of the same mistakes I did along the way.

I hope that everyone who reads my posts, however, takes them as "advice" and not "gospel". If there's one thing I've learned in this business, it's that quilting is a very personal art---and I do mean art. I think as humans we crave "structure" and so having a set of "quilting rules" to follow makes us feel more secure. But the reality is that all those rules are self-imposed (after 14 years, I still have not met the "quilting police":)).

Of course, we use that structure to help measure our progress. We often want critiques from friends, family, and even quilt judges, to tell us whether or not we are doing it "right" or "okay". If I could teach a new quilter one lesson only, it would be...."at the end of the day, the only person you have to impress or please is yourself". OK, if you're in it for $$$, then the customer too :D. But otherwise, just yourself!

If I say to myself, "I can do that" or "I can't do that" I'll be right in either case. The hard part is deciding to do what ever is right for me, and not letting the rest of the world's opinions make my decisions for me.

Wait a minute--that was way too deep!! I believe the question was, "do you have a book in the works?" Let's say a book series has always been on my agenda. But it hasn't found its way out of my head and on to paper yet. Maybe I could just have Shana collect all the posts and bind them together, and we'll sell them as a "journal"!:) I'll work harder at getting that project off the ground.

I'll be back in Tacoma in September for Innovations. Hope we can catch up then!

Thanks again!

Dawn

I just read Dawn's written explanation about pin basting the quilt. After reading that very detailed explanation, all I could say to myself was "If she can explain it this well in a blurb on a chat message board, I can't imagine how excellent she explains it in person." I gotta meet this lady some day!!!! ;)

Oh my gosh....you should see her in action...she is probably the best teacher in the universe. And so humble...She has more knowledge in her little toe than I could ever imagine to have when it comes to quilting.

I am a Dawn Cavanaugh post collector too....

I'm so giggling right now....if you ever get the chance to meet Dawn, Shana...you will never meet a more humble person. I don't care if I have to only get beginning beginning classes from her....there is ALWAYS something learned. I do set there...going, yep been there, done that, but there is always something deep down that I either didn't really think about, or something I haven't come across yet.

Its always a pleasure to see her happy face, and I take as many of her classes as I can...

Ditto goes for me too.........she is awesome. I took a class from her at MQS and she is so easy going.......friendly.......and smiles all the time......no matter what she is teaching you, you will walk away knowing you CAN DO THAT too!!! The hands on feather class I took was fantastic and she has a way of teaching that makes things sooooooooo easy to do.......and what you do is YOUR signature, YOUR way........it really is cool. I am a Dawn Cavanaugh fan and always will be!!

Yes, Dawn is my quilting diva pal too. You were wonderful when you sold me my Millie a few weeks ago. Oh, by the way, My CQ was installed last week and I have quilted one quilt per day since the install. Thank you for everyone who gave me advice on the charity quilts.

See http://www.yeoldeforest.com/Completed_Quilts.html for my first few attempts at quilting.

Dawn - Kelley and I will hopefully see you in the fall for our free "training". I can't wait to meet you!!

Joanne

Archived