How to charge for Grandma

bsktsn3cats

How do I charge for making the entire quilt for a customer?

She is bringing me "Grandma's" clothes and she wants me to cut and piece them into a double size fringed quilt. The quilting will be easy since I'll quilt each block separately on my regular machine before sewing them together. The fringe is always a pain to cut though.

Because I had a longarm business a few years ago (and am working on starting up again), I know how much to charge for the actual quilting. But, since I've never pieced one for someone else I don't even know where to start with price.

Can anyone help me?

Also, does anyone have a sample customer contract that you would be willing to post?

Thank you all so much!!

Hi,

I've made a couple of t-shirt quilts for customers, start to finish. We have a queen sized quilt for sale at the shop for $350, so that's what the customer suggested. Sounded great to me, so that's what I charged. I usually charge $12 an hour for regular sewing projects for others, so that might be a place to start.

Good luck,

Beth

I would charge by the square yard to piece depending on the complexity and quilting charge would be as any other quilt in addition to the piecing.

I get asked this question all the time and I don't have the time. Trying to do my own projects finally so if anyone wants jobs like this please email me with your contact info and I will be happy to refer them.

Hugs

Grammie

You might want to consider charging by the hour.

Several years ago I made a quilt for a man who saved alot of his children's clothing, knowing someday he'd want to have a quilt made for his wife for Mother's day.

It was very time consuming to cut apart baby clothes, to get that "just right" piece to use. It wasn't as quick or easy as using your rotary cutter to just cut a 'slice' of fabric.

Good luck!

Charging for an entire quilt can be a confusing thing. I did one for a lady and we had a bottom line price before I took the job. I know some pleople keep track of hours and then charge when they are done.

What I did was to figure out the total number of pieces in the quilt and figured the complexity of the design (easy). Then I charged $2 for each piece. Figured this would compensate me for the amount of time I touched each peice from pressing, cutting, sewing and making the entire top. The customer and I agreed this was a fair value and after the fact I still felt like the price had been fair for what I had done.

Wow, this is always difficult! I'm in Calif. that may make a difference in pricing so here goes...I always charge 20-25$ per hour no matter the "job". That is my standard price for curtains, garments or quiltmaking. It does get rid of some people, but the ones who really want the project done will pay the price, otherwise I refer them on to someone else.

Recently a young couple moved in next door, and she wanted me to make her some curtains. I know she can't afford my price, so I quoted the wage, then offered to teach her to make the curtains at NO charge.

Truthfully, most folks willing to pay the price, have $ to spare.

I'd figure out a price per square foot.

Then I'd figure out a price based upon ($) per hour based upon how long you think it will take you.

Compare and also average the two results to estimate a ball park figure.

Then add for backing (?), thread, etc. Maybe some fabric is too stretchy and will need fusible stabilizer.

Here's a question...what if there isn't enough garment fabric...you might need to add extra time for "creative" block cutting to get enough fabric for every square...or you might need to piece blocks. Extra backing fabric could be used to get the pieced size.

Just think about the possibilities. You'll be prepared when you finally view what you have to work with.

Jim,

I have an accucut. I love it! If you have questions, send me an email at joanne@yeoldeforest.com

Haven't figured out how to price services for it yet. Bought it to make kits and such!

Figured it was easier to sell customers pre-made kits then make quilts for peanuts!

A sales rep for APQS/CQ actually had the idea - she was very insightful in all of its uses!

Archived