BONEHEAD ALERT!!!!!!update w/pics

Hey Longarmers!!!

I just pulled a major STUPID STUNT!! Here's the deal:

A NEW customer just gave me 3 quilts to do. 2 identical twin size log cabins and a large bed size quilt. She is providing all the backings and battings. 2 cotton and 1 wool. She wants me to do the 2 twin log cabins first. I get everything home and realize the 2 twin backings are 3 yards short each!. So I measure everything else just to make sure and that is the only size discrepency. So I arrange to give her back the 2 twin backings along with one of the twin tops ( to be sure of size) and proceed to get started on her large top. Ok!! fast forward to 8 inches from the bottom and I'm wondering why the batting is so darn short.... only half an inch extra from the bottom of the quilt top.....and then it hits me....I WAS SUPPOSED TO USE THE WOOL BATTING FOR THIS ONE!!

OMG!!!!!!! NOW WHAT???? I had just emailed her saying I would be done tomorrow and we could meet if she was available blah blah......THEN I e-mailed her again apologizing profusely for my error ,injected a little humor and offered to

replace the cotton batting for the 2nd twin at no charge,and reduce the price of the quilting if she wanted to keep things the way they were. I also offered to RIP IT ALL OUT:( and requilt with the wool if she wanted me to... but then of course I wouldn't be finished tomorrow).I suppose it could be waaaay worse...like putting a major hole in it or getting black marks on it ......but!!!!(thankfully this customer has a great sense of humor ..which may help....)

SO!! my question to all of you is: is what I offered in compensation fair?? What would you do in this situation?

to add to all of this I have been stressing about having to find another STUPID "real job" because I can't seem to make enough $ to pay my bills by only quilting......MAYBE CAUSE i'M A NAR NAR!!???? YA THINK????? help!

Here is the quilt:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/schnoobie/1483886889/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/schnoobie/1484742962/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/schnoobie/1484746862/

I think what you offered is fair.......hopefully she will want you to finish what you have started.....and just let the wool batting go for something else.

You were thrown off by the backing not being sufficient for the twin quilts......I can understand how you made the error....you were thinking of the twin quilts you had to do so the batting was probably sitting right there ready to go! Easy to be confused.....you don't need to be a bonehead to do something like that..........

...........says the "one who has made the big hole" :(

Schnoo,

What you offered is more than fair (ripping out and re quilting) hope she didn't accept that offer...This is one of the main reasons I require my customers to drop off their quilts at my place..I always measure the quilt and backing in front of them and write down all special instructions on each estimate (like the batting choice, don't trim, thread color,etc) Since I don't get to them for about 8-10 weeks this is a life saver...AND I still manage to screw up now and then:mad: Since I work at the LQS on Sat. I do have one or two customers that walk in and hand me their quilts...they don't require an estimate and it's "Do what ever you think" on the quilts..if I do have questions I can always call and ask but these are customers I have done a lot of work for in the past.

No matter how careful you are "S--t happens!" Don't discouraged the work will come;)

THANKS LADIES!!!

I just called and left her a message . In retrospect I think the wool batting wouldn't have been such a good choce anyway....the quilt has small triangle "pockets' in the corners of the 4 inch sq blocks. This adds to the bulkiness of the seams (and the frequentness of broken thread)and you can see some bumpiness due to these through the back. I think the fluffy wool batt may have enhanced this.. anyway ( I'm trying to make myself feel better!!)I'm going to go ahead and finish this sucker,I'm so close!!. At least she has a nice wool bat for a fancy applique or something more formal or custom!! Thanks again for the support ! Stay tuned for the final chapter!!!!!!!!;)

Whoops! Yep I know that feeling. Good you can keep a sense of houmor. I think what you offered is quite fair..............basicly you offered to take out the quilting if she wants that option....................now hopefully she will not take you up on that but take one of the other options.

I have a project right now where I am trying to fight with too little batting and backing. Basicly I got 4 yards of extra wide backing (thank goodness it is staright on all 4 sides and the same size batt. Now the quilt is only 100 wide and long..........I just hope the top does not streach more than the batt and back when I get to the bottom of the quilt. Ok that is not the worst.......................there are also two pillow shams to do with that back and batt. I finally loaded the back and batt in one piece and will put the shams along the side......................it is a really tight sqeeze but I think I can manage.

I think about 1 in 10 quilts I take in has a problem of too little of something..............................why can't they measure it better....................stomping my feet in frustration.

CRIPE!!!!! NOW GET THIS!!!!!

She called me back and wants to come out and SEE IT!!!

Normally I don't have customers come out because I am usually too far to drive to .....plus!!! Like someone else mentioned I can't stand the pressure...I'm not a store front...Anyway she tried to come out before and I was able to dissuade her and met her in her town at my Mom's... so naturally I have been running around getting things presentable both in and out.....I'm not sure when she is coming but I'm NOT MOWING THE LAWN !!! I'm taking a chance she is going to accept it this way and continue on with the

finishing...stay tuned for the CONTINUING SAGA!!!............

I think your apology-fee is fair.

We all make mistakes.... so says the one "w/o checking the backing (trusting the customer) only to find out it was too small."

When I made my big mistake where the backing was several inches shorter than the top, I was going to go live in a cave and scratch "professional" off my business cards, I was so upset.

You live and learn. And hopefully, don't make the same mistake again.

Every time I read this topic...I think it is a club that I should be an elite member of! We all do make mistakes as Linda said, and you were fair in your offer. Don't mow the yard, she's really not there to see your yard. I know, I know, there are some people that judge you on appearances...but you have too much to think about right now, besides, if you were like me, you would cut your big toe off. (That did happen to my step-son, by the way - his big toe looks like a mushroom - how did I go there :D).

If it makes you feel any better...I just stitch the wrong backing on a customers quilt...it belonged on a different quilt. I won't go in to the reasons why it happened....but it sure was dumb and I was really mad at myself. I ripped the stitching out and took about 10 hours on a small quilt. Then I quilted the quilt with the right backing. This was definitely not a money maker when it should have been. Stuff happens and you just have to go with the flow and do your best. Remember we are only human and not perfect which I am thankful for, but there are times I just want to smack myself for dumb stuff. LOL

If people come to your house and judge you on the condition of your yard they have far too much time on their hands and need to get a life.

Cheryl

COOL BREEZE!!!!!and HIGH FIVE ME!!!!!!!!

OK!!!!! so ... My customer and her husband finally arrive with the other two enlarged backings and all is well! She was completely happy with the cotton batting!! They made themselves right at home and we had a nice visit! They had actually been out to the APQS showroom in Iowa and at one time were considering buying a longarm.. Husband was very impressed with APQS machines.. So I still had some threads to pull , and the husband was in a hurry and said something about her not needing it before she left to go out of town on Mon.So this means I will have it for my guild show and tell(!yes!)Plus she wrote me another check because she won't be back till near the end of the month!!

Don't cha love it????Beers all around!! 3 cheers for good customers!!!! And THANKS AGAIN quiters for your support and for sharing your "BONEHEAD" stories!!

Just remember : TRAGEDY + TIME = COMEDY!!!!!:P:P;)

It just goes to show - GOOD STUFF HAPPENS. It seems to work out better if we resist getting completely Uptight. Breath deep and consider that in 10 years we will look back on events like this and say something like Wow, I lived through that, Or, Looking back, it just wasn't worth all the agony I put myself through.

Archived