Let's Talk Metallics

Okay - its time for me to get busy and quilt the Christmas quilts I have pieced and I want to try metallics. I did a search on the site and saw a few things, but I want a few more tips or opinions.

Any tips on how to use metallics would be appreciated... like thread type/brand, needle size that you have used, speed of stitching, stitch length, use stitch regulator or not, type of designs, etc.

The quilt I have loaded on my LA right now is square pattern with sparkelly gold in all the different colored fabrics (I hope you can understand what I am saying - digital camera is dead and I need a new one so no picture). I really want to use a gold metallic.

So anything you have to offer is greatly appreciated!

The advice I got for metallics was to use yellow thread for the bobbin w/gold met, use a loose bobbin and do not use a poly like so fine in the bobbin because it is too stong and breaks the metallic. I'm going to try the maxilock thread from JoAnn's on the bobbin when I ever start and finish the one I am conceptualizing!!

Beth,

Here are a few tips to help you along the way:

[*] Use a 4.0 needle. Unlike domestic machines, you won't need a special one such as a "metallica" needle.

[*] Move the machine more slowly to reduce the friction heat build up on the needle. Rapid movements will increase the friction, which in turn causes the needle to get hot, and therefore actually "melt" the metallic thread and break it.

You can also try treating the spool with liquid silicone. Run a stripe or two along the length of the spool (Sewer's Aid is a well-known brand available in the notions department.) This lubricant helps to keep the needle cool.

[*] Loosen the top tension, and use a smooth thread in the bobbin. My favorite choice with metallic thread on top is actually invisible thread in the bobbin. It has just enough "give" that it reduces top thread breakage, but doesn't introduce the worry about the bobbin thread showing on the metallic thread.

If you try invisible in the bobbin, you'll also loosen the bobbin case tension quite a bit, and only wind the bobbin half full.

Otherwise, choose a fine-weight bobbin thread that is not cotton. The cotton fibers and tiny little imperfections on the thread will tend to "grab" the metallic and jerk it at times, causing upper thread breakage.

[*] Choose a high quality metallic thread to start. Look for a smooth surface on the thread, and strength and durability. If you have the chance to "test" the thread before you buy, unwind a bit off the spool and attempt to break it with your hands. Thread that easily snaps will be difficult to use.

Threads that have a strong polyester core, such as Superior Metallic Threads, work well. This particular thread has the metallic finish wrapped around the core for strength.

[*] Be sure to load the spool in the best direction for its type of winding. For example, many metallic threads are "stack wound" on the spool, meaning they don't criss-cross themselves around the spool. These will work best mounted horizontally on the machine. Otherwise, the thread will tend to "corkscrew" as it leaves the cone and travels through the thread guides, resulting in breakage once again.

[*] You can even run two threads together if the need arises. For example, I have used grey polyester thread with a silver metallic thread that was behaving badly--it gave it enough strength to complete the project. (You'll need a dual spool holder for this.) The threads mount separately on the holders, then join up together at the three-hole thread guide just above the tension disks. Adjust tension accordingly.

[*] Starts and stops can be a bit difficult with metallic thread--you may want to "bury" them with a standard hand sewing needle instead.

Post some photos of your Christmas projects when you are done! I'm jealous--I can barely think ahead to what to do for lunch, let alone plan ahead for Christmas!

My favorite metallic is by Rheingold, it's called Heavy Metal and it works like a dream on my Millie. I use a size 18 needle, and when I'm threading the machine I only go through two of the holes on the peg instead of all three. Other than that I don't change my tension. I use a gold poly in the bobbin. I run at normal speed and have never had a problem with this thread. You can get it at Kings Men.

Beth,

I'm a newbie but silly me had to try a metallic on oh I don't know my 4th project I think. I used Superior's metallic and had great results. This is what I did. I used a 5.0. I only went through 2 of the 3 holes on the pigtail (I think that is the right name) and then threaded. I used bottom line in the bobbin and it was ivory but I didn't really have any problems at all with pokies once I got the tension right. I loosened the tension on the top a lot but finally found the right mix. I only had a few breaks once I got it all set up and was so happy with the results. I'll try to post pictures tomorrow.

Heidi

I swore off metallics years ago. Then I received a sample of Superiors Gold Metallic with my Liberty and decided to try it on a practice piece. It was wonderful. No problems at all. Then I heavily quilted a jacket with it and had absolutely no breaks and no other problems with it. I used a 4.0 needle and Bottom Line in the bobbin. I strongly recommend Superior's metallics.

Ladies,

Thanks for all the great advice. I did attempt some Superior metallic yesterday but it was breaking. I am sure it is a tension thing and I will get some silicone spray today. I also know I need to slow down!!! I will try again today on a practice piece. Its so pretty!! I have used the Superior on my DSM and I love it!

I am just working on my Christmas Quilt with Superior varigated gold metallic, just love it. I am using a 4.0 needle and a prewound bobbin. My top tension is quite loose and I have very nice stitches on top and no thread breakage, my speed is around the 7 mark. (no SR on my Freedom). I am just wondering if the pokies on the back are normal and how I can minimize them. Any suggestions?

Monika,

My advice may not be something you want to hear..but with your Freedom running that fast, there's quite a bit of needle flexing going on with that metallic. Try slowing down a little to give the needle a chance to catch up to the hook, or switch to a 4.5 needle.

Also, you may want to try invisible thread in the bobbin instead of the pre-wound. It will have just a smidge of "give" as the stitch is formed and will help keep the metallic in between the quilt layers.

I'm jealous of another quilter who is getting her Christmas projects done in October! Thank goodness for overnight shipping or I'd never get any holiday shopping done!:)

Thanks alot Dawn, but my Quilt is almost finish and I haven't the heart to undo it. I tried all kinds of custom freehand I learned takeing Darlene's Class and if its too nasty on the back, I might just put a false back on it. I will however mark your advise for the next project. Thanks again

Archived