Applique finished

I did appliqued this a while ago and was planning on hand quilting it but since I have my new milli I decided that I would give it a go. I'm pretty pleased with it. It was the first time I did McTavishing which just adds so much elegance to an applique piece. Thanks Karen!!!! I did all of the sid without a ruler. There are a few little bobbles but I'll live with them. The feather in the border is only 2". I marked it all because I have this need for accuracy and I knew I wasn't good enough to do it free motion. I'm making a series of wall hangings to go in my stairway. I have two done. One was done all by hand and is paper-cut applique. I just wish I had more time to do hand applique because it is my favorite.

Here you go.

post--1346189862165_thumb.jpg

Thank you all so much.

Rita - I'd love to come help you! Maybe the next time I head to NC I'll be able to stop in.

The Wall hanging is about 18 x 24 I think. I'll have to double check when I get home.

Cathey - I did use the micro handles and I think I finally got the hang of them. I just love doing intricate work so I knew the micro handles were a must for me.

Carson - I had a stretched machine for about 18 months and then got my milli. I had to relearn everything as they steer very differently. On the thread - I think I will always be a traditionalist and use the same thread for all my work. I know others disagree but I'm not a fan of mono on a quilt. I have had friends whose quilts were distroyed by the monofiliment thread. When looking at the piece you really don't notice the thread it is just because I got so close. I'll of course do whatever my clients want but for mine I think I'll probably stay traditional. The outside border would be bettr if it wasn't a floral but I love the fabric so I did it anyway. If I were using a solid or tone on tone I would have used the thread that matched.

Heidi

Shana,

The fabric was cut wherever the monofilimont was at. I saw it first hand and was shocked. Not every square inch was cut but it was very obvious that it was where the monofilamont was stitched. I have heard stories of this happening but was on the fence until I was what it did to her quilt. I don't want to risk it. This quilt is just a wall hanging so it wouldn't be washed and loved but still. I have also heard stories of the thread drying out over time and breaking.

Heidi

Sue,

I too have seen this happen but I will use non-cotton. For instance I love SoFine but I do the break test before I use it. If I can't break the thread easily then I know that over time it will wear the cotton fabric since it is stronger than the cotton. There are some monofilaments that break easier but then you might have a real problem with them on your la. I won't ever say never but I always lean toward being cautious.

Heidi

Archived