just a vent

Doodlebug,

The cans of soup go on each side of the machine. You just have to keep them out of your way while you work. They help take up some of the fullness around the area where you are working. I used them while I was stabilizing the quilt. After that the fullness was confined to each block and I pulled and tugged with the left hand while I stitched with the right hand. I couldn't use a template since my left hand was busy, so everything was completely freehanded.

I remember one time a few years back, I was at a friends house using her Gammill and I was quilting one of my quilts. It was a row quilt and I think screwed up stitching the backer because it was a little wonky and had a C or D cup underneath on the backer right in the middle. Anywhoo, I was watching her and She used a soup can to manipulate the fabric so there weren't any pleats. I think it was a can of Campbells tomato soup. I was impressed because 1) Tomato soup is my favorite, and 2) she was able to fix it without quilting in a pleat in my backer fabric. ( insert extremely blushing smiley face here)

What an amazing job you did on this quilt, doodlebug! Turned lemons into lemonade and learned a lot too. I probably wouldn't have even tried before reading this thread, but now I will. I have a stack of ebay quilts, some just as bad, that I bought for practice. You are an inspiration.

Oh Doodlebug! What a job. 20 blankety-blank inches!!! That\'s beyond me. And to think I was complaining the other day about a little B cup in just ONE block of an otherwise AA (still in the training bra) quilt.

The only time I have actually sent a top back to a customer unquilted, she had somehow pieced the inside of her quilt six inches different from one area to another. HOW she managed to actually "stretch" the fabric to fit I\'ll never know. Anyway, it went back to her with an explanation of what I could possibly do to quilt it (pleat a huge hunk through the center panel) or she could re-piece it. It never came back to my studio, but then again, did I really want it to???

I\'ve never run out of quilts to quilt since the day I opened my studio. Life is short for all of us. I\'d LOVE to help everyone, but there is only so much of ME to go around! :P Gotta save some for the next one!

~~ Eva H.

Archived