just a vent

has this happened to you???

i have a quilt on the frame now that is 8 inches bigger than the border. the lady is a new customer so i was happy to have her. THEN, (get this) she informed me that she brought it to me because if she took it to her "regular" LAer, she would of shot her.

*jaw hitting floor*

i don't know whether to take it as a compliment or not...

do you mean that the top is bigger than the backing by 8"? Take it as a compliment, your blood pressure will stay lower that way. Obviously she means that you are a more gracious person who would not start sniping at her about the top being too big for the backing, but would tell her this in a gentle and gracious manner.

Beth

I don't care how nice you are about it...how in the heck are ya gonna quilt it?? I would treat it as I would a "regular customer" call her and tell her that she needs to add enough to the back to give me 4" on each side. If she doesn't want to do that, then I would have to pass.

Nice sometimes just goes out the door, but then again...she is a new customer.

May be this is why she didn't want to have the other one do it....to many of these at the other house and she didn't want to be yelled at again. :P

Again, as everyone else has said.... I would call her, and ask her for more fabric or advise on how she wants you to fix it. (for a price of course).

If you don't get to cranky and explain the mess, maybe you can get her to bring all her quilts to you. If you know she is a little spacey before you start her quilts and she pays you to fix them....oh, well as long as they aren't really wonky and a huge mess, you might make a new friend, and help her learn as you go. I have one that no matter what I get from her, I know the back is going to be short, so at this rate its no biggy.

Ok let's clarify something, the top is 100, the lining is 80? when you say quilt do you mean the top? I don't know what your calling the boarder,I'm under the assumption that you are talking about the lining, or the bottom piece. A picture might clarify the confusion.

Top is the pieced or solid

batting in the middle

bottom is the lining.... it's not a quilt till you quilt it.

I say you go to JoAnns and get all the fiberfill pillow stuffing you can find and stuff that baby into one extremely giant PILLOW! :P

That'll teach her a lesson or two!

(only kiddin' folks but it sure was fun to laugh a little, eh?)

Seriously, though...this lady needs some fundamental basics of quilting and maybe you can show her the CORRECT way to piece blocks and stitch on borders. Bootcamp remedial school for quilters who flunked out the first time... hey, maybe that is a business avenue (niche) that has not been tapped into, yet.

PS on more serious: Don't take her comment as an insult to you. I am sure she did not intend to insult, but to make herself look bad because she already knows it is a "problem child" so I would have a nice, friendly talk with this gal and find out exactly what she did to piece this quilt and then kindly explain to her the problems and headache that can come from these poorly made tops. Perhaps she is completely clueless. Give her the benefit of the doubt that she is most likely a majorus dorkus.

Personally, I wouldn't want the headache. I'd give it back to her and tell her there is no way to do this quilt without lots and lots of puckers. Be gentle though and request that she fix the borders so the beautiful center of the quilt can be quilted.

Love the giant pillow!!! jeri

Nope....I don't think there is enough water in the world to steam that one out.....I think it extends out beyond the limitations of what will work.:P:P:P

I'm still a bit confused....am I understanding you that the body of the quilt is 8-10 inches bigger than the outside border.....WOW if I have it right, you don't have a "D" cup you have a "HHH" cup. Yes, girls they do make them that big, use to sell them.

I'm still in shock....how many tucks did she have to put into it to get it attached???? Take a picture if you can maybe then we can all help a bit better. WOW.....I think this takes the prize for the year.

If she has pieced a quilt so poorly this time just think of what she must do all the time?

I wouldn't quilt is either because you can't get the quilt to look nice. There is no way in the world to not have puckers or wrinkles. Your reputation is on the line as a good quilter. If you turn a bad product out with her, you will probably never hear the end of it.

If you want to quilt it. I would ask for additional material for the border and fix it for her for a fee. Let her know what you will charge to correct the problem.

Cheryl

see...all that fullness and the seam line is straight...i took some measurements and found the problem....the blocks are "suppose" to finish at 18" and the range in size from 17 to 18 1/2". i think i figure out how to quilt it minus pucks...so off i go to give it a go...thanks to everyone for their solidarity in this with me...makes me feel better.

and just so you know, this is not a big deal compared to some of the "requests" i've gotten in the past...

thanks ladys and gents....

picture is worth a thousand key taps...

post--13461898626245_thumb.jpg

I am so impressed! You made a silk purse out of an ugly sow's ear! While on the one hand, I would wish you another customer, I'm not sure that I would wish this particular person on anyone.

Definetly time for some gentle education about the joys of squaring up blocks before sewing them together.

Best of luck on the next one from this lady.

Beth

Whew, You did good. Now that I get it....I had a top with the same problem. If I layed the quilt out flat, I could pinch the center of the body of the quilt and lift it off the batting, leaving the borders flat. It was a pieced/appliqued body, border, then appliqued vines and leave in the outer border. This is one of my favorite customers, when I told her about it, she had no problem taking it back to fix it. I just couldn't take a chance on goofing it up. Next time I'm sending it to you!!

Lady, considering what you had to work with you did GOOD....I'm impressed you were able to keep the lines as straight as you were...I would pat you on the back if you were closer. You should be proud and I so hope your customer is pleased as well. And becomes a new favorite.

I can't believe that you ONLY used 20 pins to stretch that thing out. Didn't she have tucks or gathers in the top in order to get it stitched onto the borders?

I can't believe that someone can piece a quilt top like that and expect to have it successfully quilted. But then I had one come in that I told DH that if it was mine I'd throw it in the trash. The top was just full of tucks and skimpy seams that had pulled apart. Every block was at least a DD cup. I decided that the first thing that I needed to do was to stabilize all the blocks so that I could have better control of all that fullness. Using four cans of soup and a puffy batting I managed to get it stabilized. That helped a lot. Then I went in and did continuous curve in all the stars. I didn't worry about "perfect" quilting lines. Yes, it had some tucks in it, but I didn't worry about them. It actually was a beautiful quilt once it was completed, so long as you stayed five feet away from it. The customer donated it to a charity auction and it sold for $1400.00

Mercedes 5.bmp

Ok, you get the gold star of the day award!! My goodness, when my customer's back was a 180 count poly cotton sheet purchased for 4.99 and was not square, I thought about complaining. Good grief, I hope I don't get an HHHH bra to quilt any time soon. I really liked the soup cans mentioned above, I'm still giggling over that one!

Have a great day ladies!

great job on the star quilt....were did you put the soup cans???when you were stabilizing it or quilting it?

just goes to show you that non-LAers have no idea how much work LAing is. but in defense, i only really get one ot two of these a year (thank goodness)

on to the next quilt.....

I have a notebook titled "How Not to send a quilt to a quilter". These 2 quilts were actually used in a program that our longarm guild did for a regular guild about long-arm quilting. I happened to have gotten them in the mail the day of the program.

Somehow I still quilt for her and send her comments and tips back with every quilt as she lives in another state. She has improved alot over the past 3 years but her quilts are still a major issue. I will positively not do custom work for her and on some quilts won't do a panto as I have to oooch and scootch the fabric as I quilt. Doing her quilts have taught me lots about how to fix problems as I go along. They also take an extra hour to load on the machine and I always charge her for "fixing" her backing. jeri

Archived