Retrofitting light for better visibility

Well I did it in about 15 minutes flat. I moved my light from the front of my machine to the underside. The visibility is significantly improved. I have pics and instructions on my webshots page for you to see. http://community.webshots.com/user/babysole

THe only potential problem I forsee is the velcro may need changing

eventually, as I have already found myself hitting the light on the right

side. Maybe I could screw some tiny metal screws to mount it?? The lighting

doesn't seem to cast any shadowing that I can tell right now.

As you can tell, I am maxing out the cord/plug length- but it I managed!!!

My saddle seat and micro-handles are ordered. I think I am on my way to

comfort..... I certainly hope so!

Thanks,

Michelle

APQS "Michellium"- hee hee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:D

Guest Linda S

I added an additional side light to my machine. I clamps on the top and you can see it's black flexible neck sticking up along the top. The light shines where I want it on the quilt top:

studio.jpg

Linda

Guest Linda S

Wish I could take the credit, but I got the idea on the Machine Quilting Professionals page. I love that light, but have to be very careful, because it gets very hot (it's halogen). I never leave the room with it plugged in!! Also, it only takes hitting it with your hand once to make sure that you will never do it again!!

Linda

Guest Linda S

That's really cool Michelle. Hey - I wonder if you could get some of that stick-um they use to affix the thread spool holders to the top of the machine to attach that light where you put it. That stuff just never lets go. I don't know how it would react to the heat of the light though.

Linda

Originally posted by Michelle Miller

brilliant thought! She, Sherry Rogers-Harrison and APQS owner Jim ( sorry, can't remember last name) were busy moving stuff around trying to come up with a solution for me. I hope I am remembering correctly- credit should be given where credit is due

!

It really is a great idea.

~michelle

HI MICHELLE,

This came about because of our discussion by the Exit doors, when I had you take me to the Prodigy booth to show me what you liked about the visibility. I like it too, but while watching someone quilt at the booth I noticed how far back and high up the light is and that the quilter was having to deal with a lot of shadowing because the light just isn't direct enough.

I took you by the arm and said, "Let's go see what the "guys" (meaning APQS) can do you. I don't see any reason why our light can't be detached from the handles and moved behind the light bar. Maybe the whole handle assembly could be moved up to the "face" plate on the front."

That's where I started when we got the APQS booth. By taking out the handle screws and holding the whole thing up over the schematic on the face plate. Then I turned it over and saw that only 2 screws were attaching the light bar to the handles. When I moved that piece and held up just the handles, you got a HUGE grin on your face and started to squeal! You looked SO happy.

I called Bob Ketcham over and asked if there was any reason why the handles couldn't be moved up, but then found that just moving the light bar may be the answer. It gave a lot more visibility than we expected, I think. I think that's when Bob called Jim over, and a small crowd started to gather to see what was going on. You were VERY excited! And so was I!!!

All of this is such a simple fix, and now we know there IS a reason why your machine didn't sell. You were meant to KEEP it!! ;)

BIG HUGS!

Darlene

I'd like to thank Michelle for posting her pictures, and Darlene for explaning how they came up with this idea for the light bar switch-over (under!) What a great idea! I'm going to try that. Did anyone come up with where to get that sticky tape mount mentioned, and figure out if the heat from the light will be a factor for it working?

Ann

• 2 weeks later...

I was watching this post the other day, I would love to have more light in my room and closer to my quilts.

My husband put a celing fan in that I picked out, it is a 5 bulb. The manufacturer said no more than 60 watt bulbs in it, so I put 5 60watt bulbs in it. He said when he comes home the light that pours out of the windows in my sewing room looks like the landing strip at the airport.

Anyways, back to the light, I looked at mine, I have a micro drive on my machine, If I moved mine to the back, it would get in the way of the microdrive.

However, for humor purposes, you could get those headbands that have the flashlight sew into them if you wanted to get a good lighting on your up close work, or to see your stiches when you are frogging.

Tracy said:

I have a micro drive on my machine, If I moved mine to the back, it would get in the way of the microdrive.

Hi Tracy

Actually.....the Micro Drive secures the light change even better as it gives another surface to adhere to. I will post a picture as soon as I find the darn cord that attaches to my camera! I know it is around here somewhere!!!

• 2 months later...

hey Tracy!

Congrats on the new Harley!! I have an old school Honda twinstar(1980) that I was just learning to ride last year when winter hit. This year it has been

not running due to gasket issues! We ( my fiance is tired of playing bike mechanic) will be taking it to the professional this weekend. My sister has a sportster she doesnt ride.....but it looks good!!!!!Anyway....so cool to see a biker babe on the longarm site!!Keep the shiny side up!!!potatahpotatahpotatah!!!!

Schnoo

• 2 weeks later...

I added a 2nd light to my Millie and my shadows have disappeared. It is a crook-neck light (www.lovetoquilt.com) that clamps onto the underside of the machine neck and hangs down on the left side, angled to shine onto your quilt from under the neck. I plugged it into the extra socket on the back of the machine and secured the cord along the top. It works great.

Happy Quilting :D

PS: This great idea came from APQS rep Jane Ann Houser. I take no credit. Thanks Jane!

Hi everyone

When I ordered my machine I asked for the light to be fitted behind the front position and for my handles to be 2" shorter either side, my dealer ~Sue~ has said APQS have done it in the factory for me.

How good is that,I'm realy happy I decided to go with APQS, only a week or so to go before she arrives.:)

Thanks everyone for the great tips about lighting. I have been discussing with DH the problem I am having with the light being in the way and the first time I look into this site I see directions and pictures:D. I purchased the velcro and will move the light today.

Thanks

Jerri and I have discussed this many times. I added one more step to get more light. I trimmed the front metal shield about 3/8 of an inch to give more light toward the front. I did it with tin snips. Filed off the sharp edges and wala, more LIGHT! Just that 3/8 trim off the front of the metal shield yielded alot more light just where we need it.

Archived