Quilting DVDs and PPP

Ok, I know this has been chatted about before but I can't find the info that I'm looking for though a search. I am trying to locate some good "how to" longarm dvds, I know some have been mentioned here before. With no real instructors in my area this seems like the way to go. I have had my machine for about a month and practice when I can, I also work outside of my home, but the flow is still choppy. I know PPP is the way to go, but just taking a poll, how long did it take anyone to get to the point of having decent looking quilting? Are we talking days, weeks, months? How about pantos? How long did it take to get the hang of those? I would love to see what the average times are for these skills. I was working on a feather panto recently thinking "ok I think I'm getting it" and one of my kids walked in and said "wow mom those are great ferns." See where I'm going with this? I know it's not my machine, because I tried to quilt something that I've been writing forever, my signiture, and it came out perfect. DB

Hi DB,

I\'m a newbie with my Milli but I did have another machine prior to that. It does take a while to get used to it. I would say that after about 2 or 3 quilts I finally got comfortable. It all depends on you really. Start with things that you can do without thinking. I found that once I identifed which letter of the alphabet the shape looked like I could then replicate it much easier, probably why you were able to do your signature so well! As for DVD\'s it all depends on what you are looking for. I would decide first by the style of quilting I prefer and then find a dvd that fit that world. If you really want to learn feathers then you should consider Mystical Cotton Tracks by jamie Wallen. It is an excellent workbook and dvd and you will feel like you are right in his class. If you are more in the need of basics of loading and such then consider Mryna\'s new dvd, that has gotten rave reviews. Pam Clark also has some excellent DVD\'s.

Good luck.

Heidi

I started meandering perfectly right away, but I\'d been doing that on my regular sewing machine for years. It took a good 3 months to really start getting the hang of things other than meandering. I\'ve been quilting about 4 1/2 years now and I still learn something new all the time. There are times I still do boo boo\'s and times I look at my work and think, ewww, times I still feel like a novice. As time goes on, those ewww moments become less and less. Sometimes, I do what I think is incredible work and start feeling a bit cocky. It\'s about that time I mess something up and get knocked back down to the real world. I eat my humble pie and move on.

I agree with Mystical Cotton Tracks. I\'ve watched many DVD\'s and this one is my favorite. I get raves every time I use his techniques. It is more expensive than most DVD\'s but the production is very worth while. You can see all the work without trying to guess what is really going on, it has a great workbook to refer to, and it is step by step teaching process that doesn\'t stop in the middle, just when you start catching on.

If you can go to Machine Quilters Showcase (MQS) or Machine Quilters Exposition (MQX) you can take classes from national teachers. The first show is in May and the second is in April. The cost of the classes range from $35 to $150. The lecture/demo classes being the least costly, but just as good.

I think this is such a great arena for learning and seeing beautiful quilts. It is a definite must do at least once. I was so glad I went after I had been quilting for 2 years that I was sorry I hadn\'t gone sooner. I learned so much. I took 3 classes a day all lecture/demo (2 hour long classes).

I know it doesn\'t help you now...but do consider going.

Cheryl

Here\'s a few websites that you can look at for DVDs. I\'m sure there are more. I personally have Linda Taylor, Pam Clarke and Renae Haddadins. I love \'em all. I\'ve watched a few of Sharon Schamber\'s. You cannot lose with any of them. However, Renae\'s uses her amazing rays tool (a great tool!).

Sharon Schamber: http://www.sharonschamber.com/ and http://purpledaisiesllc.com/

Linda Taylor: http://www.lequilters.com/

Renae Haddadin: http://www.renaequilts.com/Products.html

Myrna Ficken, Pam Clarke, Linda Taylor, Sharon Schamer: http://columbiariverquilting.com/videos.html

DB-

Don\'t know where you are located, but another show to consider attending (to take classes and see gorgeous quilts) is the Home Machine Quilting Show (HMQS) in Salt Lake City in May. It\'s just before MQS (wish I could do both!). I went last year, just less than a month after I set up my Millie, and it was great! I didn\'t get any hands-on classes with a longarm (too late finding out about it:() but I took 3½ days of lecture/demo classes and came home with sooooo much information and things to try.

Good luck with your new adventure!

If you\'re looking for free motion quilting designs: http://www.patsythompsondesigns.com/ On Patsy\'s site you can preview a review of each DVD. AND you can also download (Left of page: Free Downloads) and print each design she teaches on the DVDs. I have them all printed and in a notebook to refer to. I have two of her DVDs and love them. Hope to get the other two as well. They are reasonably priced at $29.95 each. Someone else on this site recommended them, and I\'m so glad they did.

If you\'re looking for tips using an APQS machine, then Myrna\'s new DVD and Karen McTavish\'s Books/DVD.

ALSO: If you belong to QNNTV.com, you can watch all of Linda Taylor\'s TV shows (you pick when you want to watch) and you can also watch Marilyn Badger as guest longarmer on Fons & Porter TV shows. You have to join QNNTV to get the video on demand, I think. I\'m a member, but before I joined I could watch some of them for free.

Hi DB,

I feel like you do. I have had my machine since August. Then I had to go back to school and I don\'t have the time I want to practice. I can meander too. But I want to do something more. I\'d like to know what is the easiest to learn. I am not great with pantographs. I like working from the front of the machine. Maybe I should mark the top and then work from the front side of the machine. I think I will check out some of the DVD\'s that others have suggested. I am so glad that you posted. Thanks

Charlotte

As for marking, I really like what I\'ve seen done by Marilyn Badger and someone else that I can\'t recall. It might have been on Myrna\'s DVD too.

They used foam paint brushes to spread the Ultimate Pounce over quilt stencils right onto the quilt top while loaded on the rollers.

The good thing is that the Pounce irons off -- no need to wash.

Marilyn Badger uses that technique in this video. You might have to belong to QNNTV.com in order to watch.

http://www.qnntv.com/aspx/qnn/Videos/ViewVideo.aspx?v=1793

Regarding Patsy Thompson designs and DVDs. The free feather designs that you can download only include a few of what is on the DVD.

And the other designs are great to look at and ponder. But without seeing her describe and stitch each one individually, it\'s not as "doable" in my mind.

Try

http://www.brightcove.tv

In the search field just fill in: Quilting.

Or a show name like: Quilt Central, or Quilt in a day or what ever you can think of an try.

At Quilt Central there are always some LA parts.

Not much of Linda V. Taylor so far.

Check as well on Sharon Shambers Network. There are some of her lessons, at least parts of it.

As you already now, all is PPP. :)

Best wishes from Switzerland

I don\'t know where you are, but Myrna Ficken is teaching some classes in Chillicothe, Ohio in February and there is a quilting retreat in Mansfield, Ohio in October, it has teachers like DeLoa Jones, Sue Patten, Jodie Robinson and Jamie Wallen. I have gone to it for the past three years and have learned more each year. It is well worth the cost for three days and nights which includes the food. The teachers stay there, too and hang out with the students even after classes are over in the evening. If you are interested in either of these here are the emails or websites you can go to. myrnaf@q.com and deloa@deloasquiltshop.com Contact these ladies for more information. I can tell you that we had students from all over the place for the retreat. Some from New York, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Ohio, and Louisiana to name a few, and several signed up for next years retreat before leaving camp this past October. It is so much better than DVD\'s or books because you can ask questions and they show you things over and over if needed. Hope this gives you another option. Janet

Guest Linda S

A good place to start looking for DVDs is at the suppliers to our business. Kingsmen Quilting Supply or Columbia River Quilting are good sources. There is also the company Darlene Epp sold to a friend -- I think it is just called Longarm Quilting Supplies. They are in Canada. Most of these places carry good DVDs from great quilters. You can find Dawn Ramirez\'s "Pajama Quilting" videos, which are great for newbies, Mindy Casperson\'s "I\'ve Got a Longarm and I\'m Not Afraid to Use It," Karen McTavish\'s "Mastering the Art of McTavishing" (and later on, when you\'re ready for some really cool stuff, "The Secrets of Elemental Quilting"), Nichole Webb\'s great freehand design DVDs and so much more.

If you can, however, do try to go to a national show. I live in Oregon and travel to New Hampshire every April to MQX - the Machine Quilter\'s Exposition. Not only can you take great classes from wonderful teachers, but the price for each class is ridiculously low. If you had these people travel to your area to teach, each class would be about 4 times more. Plus, you get to meet wonderful quilters who will become your life-long friends. Each year I feel like I\'m going to a big sleep over party with all my buddies. There\'s nothing better!

Linda

Georgine, I found your posts so interesting -- things Ididn\'t know about quilting,

You mentioned the free feather designs from Patsy Thompson can you tell me where I can find those, I will be searching some more. and I just might be interested in her DVDs. The free feather designs that you can download only include a few of what is on the DVD

Thanks Lindy

I would like to chat with you but I don\'t know how to reach you, perhaps you can contact me.

A fellow quilting wanting to learn

Hi Lindy,

You can order the DVDs from her website:

http://www.patsythompsondesigns.com/

Just click on INSTRUCTIONAL DVDs and you\'ll see demos of them.

To order, click on STORE.

I have been doodling her feathers and designs for about 2 weeks now and I\'m GOING TO USE THEM on a quilt this week. (I have to give myself a pep talk.) It really does help to watch her do them, rather than just looking at a picture.

My email is part of my signature below. I don\'t know how to get in touch with you, but feel free to send me an email. I\'d love to hear from a fellow quilter. I\'m fairly new at quilting (3 years) and just got my longarm this summer. So I\'m still learning and practicing.

Thank you all for all the info. I went through every response and took notes. They filled a paged which I will hold onto as a resource for DVDs, classes, and supply companies. Based on the above recomendations I ordered Mystical Cotton Tracks by Jamie Wallen, a beginner DVD by Myrna Ficken, actually had a short chat with her, and also ordered Design with Lines by Pam Clark. I hope these help. Once I get through these I have a few others lined up to order. It looks like it takes anywhere from several quilts to several months to get the hang of it so maybe I\'m just being a little impatient. I\'ve decided that have my problem is that I really don\'t know how to draw. Kinda hard to freehand on a longarm if you can\'t draw it with a pencil. I also went ahead and signed up for some classes at Machine Quilters Expo in N.H. in April, can\'t wait. If anyone is planning to go I would suggest signing up ASAP, some of the classes are already filled, the others are filling fast. Thank you all again, I really appreciated all the info. DB

Archived