Help ME please Masterpiece Thread for ETE

For the first time I thought I would try the Masterpiece thread by Superior. Not really my choice but the shop is carrying it now that they have a Milli and it was the perfect Yellow for the quilt I\'m doing for the shop.

I have rethreaded, changed needle and yada yada yado. It breaks with the loosest of tension. Maybe there is a trick someone can share.

I thought this was a piecing thread but I hear others quilt with it. Let me know as I can just pick another thread. The yellow is so yummy though.

Grammie

Back to try again.

Tammie....this is pushed as a piecing thread only, and in all the ads that I have seen its only been promoted as a piecing thread.

I have yet to hear any of us who have actually gotten it to work in the longarm, me included.

However, I do love the way it pieces...and have used it for ditch work on my DSM when doing a wallhanging, but I have yet to get it to work on the LA. Its a very thin wrapped thread and I don\'t believe it was ever meant to be used as a sub for LA quilting....it looks very much like Bottom line, but it doesn\'t have the strength as that does.

I\'ve used this thread on my Millie and it was wonderful. I had no breaks and my tension was perfect - one of the best tensions I had had up to that point in my longarm quilting. I only went through one hole in the 3-hole thread guide and I did loosen my upper thread tension. I used a pre-wound bobbin and I always try to keep this around 18-20 on my Towa gauge.

The only real problem I had was that using Bottom Line in the bobbin and Masterpiece on the top, the two slippery threads needed to be tied off - not just a few tiny stitches to lock them in place.

Guest Linda S

I\'ve had no problems with Masterpiece at all, but you should know that Bob does not recommend it for longarm quilting. Perhaps if you try some sewer\'s aid (silicone)?

Linda

I knew it was a piecing thread but having never tried it I just wanted alittle backup. lol

I will inform the shop owner who is very new to Longarm quilting.

I had another delicious yellow and I\'m off and running.

PS. I have my first class at the shop on Wednesday next week. Nothing special. I\'m simply teaching others the basics to certify them to rent the machine to quilt for themselves if they choose.

Still I think it will be fun. I have a great bunch of ladies who have signed up and their very excited. It\'s a wonderful quilt club and they make alot of tops.

Again thanks everyone for your input. I really appreciate you all.

Hugs to ya,

Grammie Tammie

Grammie:

I just finished quilting a flannel quilt and one of the threads I used was Masterpiece. I had no problems with it. My tension is was set a half turn tighter than King Tut. I used Bottomline prewond bobbins. I have also used on a Cotten quilt with no problems.

I am so sorry to hear of your problems and am very thankful that might quilted without a hitch. Maybe you have to hold your mouth just right? Hmmmmm

I had heard pros and cons about using Masterpiece on the longarm so I used it to do a small quilt of my own. It was a bit larger than a lap size and we used it as a throw on the sofa. I used Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 and Angel Wings panto and had thread breaks after the second washing. I only use it on the longarm for microstippling, McTavishing, and areas where the quilting is very, very tight and a stronger thread has been used for SID or other areas of the quilt.

I have heard of people who have used it with great success but I wouldn\'t do it for a panto.

I talked to Bob\'s son at Innovations about my problems with Masterpiece. He agreed that it was made for piecing, not the LA.

I just discovered Brytes. (I am an admitted thread junky) Wow. Gorgeous shiny thread that is so strong you have problems breaking it with your hands. White on white is spectacular. I know that you have a CQ. You could use it as a high contrast thread for motifs.

I was experimenting with my thread stash the other day and I had some old Valdani thread spools (used with my DSM for decorative topstitching) and decided to try on the Milli and practice some PPP on muslin. I know this is not a long staple cotton, and expected the thread to break on the longarm. So, I just played with the tension and only ran it through one of the three hole guides (the third hole) and after a few attempts and experimenting, I got that thread to finally work without breaking for many hours if I didn\'t go too fast with speed. So, I suppose it is possible if you tweak the tension, keep your foot lightly on the accelerator and only use one hole in the guide. My bottom tension was fine and top looked good too!

PS: Hi Sonja! :)

Hi JudyL - did I understand you correctly that you got the Masterpiece thread to quilt on your Millie in a lap-size quilt but then the thread starting breaking after the second washing?

That is a bit scary. I would hate to do a customer quilt and then have the thread start breaking down after a few washings. Would it do the same if used for piecing? Maybe you just got a bad cone...?

My personal, for what it\'s worth, opinion is that the Masterpiece is mainly for piecing, or very close stitching where there is reinforcement by a stronger thread. The reason I did my own little experiment using Masterpiece on a fairly open panto was that I re-quilted a top for a lady that had been quilted by another longarmer. The lady was sure her children had been too rough with the quilt but when she brought me the quilt with all the stitching picked out, she brought me the invoice from the other quilter and Masterpiece thread had been used on it too.

I don\'t think I had a bad cone of thread -- I just think this thread is too fine for quilting a top that doesn\'t have a ton of quilting on it.

I still use it for microstippling, McTavishing or that kind of quilting and I piece with it but I do not use it as the sole thread in a quilt.

Again, just my opinion. I love Superior thread and I don\'t think there\'s anything inherently wrong with Masterpiece thread.

Archived