need ideas for contemporary irish chain

This is for a 20 something young girl. The customer requested something totally modern and unconventional--so what do all have in your thinking caps for that. I have done several things for this lady and she always wants custom--so design away!!

The quilt is about 50 X50--any advice on thread color would be helpful also. The black next to it is the back--and she would like it to be somewhat reversible--to use as a tablecloth.

Thanks--Terri

post--13461898956907_thumb.jpg

Hi Terri, When I look at the quilt I see a big "X" with an arrow pointing into each corner. Maybe something that would emphasize that with a kind of directional lines? I finished a log cabin with diagonal lines and did feathers on them, but I\'m not sure if that would be contemporiary or not. As far as thread goes, I think that I would consider black or white. Or maybe a varigated with black, white & red (is there such a thing?).

Wow, that topper is wild! Now, when I think of the words "quilting" and "wild" together, I think of Sue Patten! :P She has some really wild and crazy-super-fun quilting designs that are "not your typical" designs. So, you were looking for something different? Something totally modern and unconventional? I say try something out of Sue Patten\'s book. I love her fun stuff and designs. You could do something with some big fronds or flames or swirly designs For example, in the large open pink space I see something using two different threads both a black and a white thread (alternating?) Hmmm... Have fun!!

PS: I just thought of something... perhaps you could take the red flower design in the print and do quilting motifs of that flower, but in a larger design? Trace it out, blow it up and use that. I think that would look way cool! Funky flowers in Black and White! :cool: You could do black flower outlines in the irish chain part and white flowers in the red part? (this is so fun!)

I see cross-hatching in the Cross & Arrows. But the pink eludes me for now. First I thought a basket weave, but then I draw the "blank" when it comes to that pink edge....would the basketweave show up there? Or, is that too small of an area....???

This is a fun top to "get the creative juices flowing". Your gonna have fun when you figure out what you want on this one.

Thanks all for the inspirations--still have the thinking cap on with this one--Shana--never thought of Sue Patten--looked through my book last night and will probally do some playing on the computer before I load this one up sometime in the next 2 weeks.

Thanks again--Terri

That red fabric is really busy and hence the quilting in that area is not gonna show very much so I would keep that part simple. The concentric circles or a spiral are a good contemporary option.

Then I would make the X stand out by doing some dense fill in say only the white blocks and leave the others unquilted or do line dancing or something. You could do some little spirals in the white to echo the bigger ones in the large red print area.

Archived