$100,000.00 Quilting Challenge

Sharon called me about an hour ago and told me she did win the $100,000 quilt challenge. And for those of you going to Road 2 CA next week all of the finalist quilts are there including her Scarlet Serenade quilt. As an added bonus Sharon is flying in and will be at Road on Sunday !!!

Raquel Birch

APQS Sales Rep

California

I just went and looked at Sharon\'s quilt and it is spectacular, as usual. She really deserves the prize.

What concerns me over this $100,000 competition is that both year\'s the winning quilts have been made by a professional quilter/designer/instructor.

I had thought about entering something for the next year, but no way could I compete with these folks, and I\'ll bet others feel the same way.

I often wonder about the term or the word "professional" used in the context of winning quilt awards myself.

It can get confusing, but personally I feel that you get to be what is termed a "professional" (if there is such a term for prize winning quilters)--- by just working hard perfecting your craft, entering quilt shows that offer prizes, (and winning)--- teaching perhaps,( but not always,) and building skills until your quilts are more outstanding, more noticibly better each time you enter a competition.

That your fellow quilters and quilt show judges start taking notice of your continuing entries, and you take their critiques as a way of improving your skills even more is to your advantage.

I for one know where I stand in the scheme of things (so to speak)----and it\'s not anywhere near the skill level of some of the quilters that enter the well known shows that offer hefty prizes or awards.

You just have to keep striving, and working at your craft to be termed a professional I assume---even Sharon Schamber started quilting just like we all did I\'m sure, somewhere, sometime. It\'s not just something that happens to you. (or it would have happened to a lot of us by now I would think);)

She has worked hard and spent countless hours and maybe that is her "badge of honer" or status that makes her a "Professional". I don\'t know if we can seperate the terms of amateur, and professional. I\'ve seen some terrific amateur quilts that have competed in shows....I would have termed those quilts "very professionally done". Yet, they did not win.

So, if you have the confidence and feel your quilts are ready to enter some of these shows---go for it. How else are you ever going to compete?

I like to think of Sharon Schamber in the context of outstanding competitor, and not even use the term professional. She is just a wonderful quilter, who wins prizes at quilt shows with outstanding quilts.

Maybe money and prizes make you a "professional", or maybe it\'s your career....Not sure about the word "professional". Any other thought on this--appreciated.

All I know is that the competition for 2008 has been postponed. I was told they were working on getting a notice on their webpage. I also subcribed to their quarterly magazine of the same name at the same time I attempted to enter my quilt. I was told that I would get a letter in the mail with the option of a refund, or the option of their other magazine. I am still awaiting that letter.

Of course we could rally together to keep this competition alive and promote it. Then maybe the powers that be, would sponser it!

I certainly didn\'t mean to imply that Sharon didn\'t deserve the award or anything like that. \'Sorry if it came across that way.

I just wonder if they ought to have separate categories for amateur and professional in that competition like they do in the major AQS competitions.

But, if the contest is being postponed, well, I guess it doesn\'t matter right now.

Did the sponsors drop out because of teh amount of prize money awarded or what?

The premise behind the contest is great. The fact that it is open to anybody is cool. Even if the award was $10,000 or $25,000 or a new Longarm machine or something, then it would be a neat competition.

Hi Teresa

The contest is based upon the best quilt that is entered into the contest. It doesn\'t matter if a 2 year old made it, if its the best, it will win. The public gets 25% of the vote, the judges had 75% of the vote.

I entered in round 2 of 2008 so I imagine round 1/2008 participants would know of this news as well. I may have inadvertently been told because I emailed them and asked them to contact me about a broken link on their site. I was told the postponement was due to lack of sponsorship.

Sher,

Just think of the all $$ you saved by "not" winning this time

around & having to pay taxes on it!!;)

Depending on your Tax table, that could have set you back a mere 30 to 45K~ Ouch!:mad:

I sure hope they keep this competition going and that it continues on to the future. I really liked the title "$100,000.00 Quilting Challenge" because it really brought quilting out into the mainstream media and gets lots of attention form "non quilters" that way. Great advertising, too! Great motivation for others to submit their quilts for this competition! This may be stopped due to lack of sponsors? What a shame.... If I were a corporation, I would hop on this competition and sponsor it because it really is great advertising. I sure hope they keep this $100,000.00 Quilting Challenge going into the future.

Some thoughts on this: In the law, "professional" simply means that you earn income from doing whatever it is. It is not a judgment on quality, although it can reflect the amount of time a person has to devote to the activity.

If you earn money from quilting, you are a "professional", so most of us in this chat group are professionals. That does not necessarily make any of us a better quilter than a person who spends one day a year making a Quilt in a Day, or whatever. In fact, he or she would be a "Professional" if that quilt was sold every year as a regular thing. Meanwhile, we all know quilters who turn out the most beautiful pieces, but keep them for themselves and are considered "amateurs." So what I\'m saying is, the designation doesn\'t necessarily reflect the quality.

I for one am delighted that pieces like Sharon\'s are out there, winning prizes and getting attention, which reflects back on all of us. It gives us something to aspire to, as it inspires us. It would be sad if this contest were to end, and maybe the amount of the prize money gets more attention in the non-quilting world, but I would bet most of us would enter the "$10,000 Quilt Challenge" just as eagerly.

Archived