What I've been working on - Finished

Carol Bryer Fallert has an instructional pamplet available. Basically you draw three lines, parallel to one another, with a set vanishing point in place. (think about perspective drawing in art class). The center line becomes the point of the triangle. The outer points set on the outer lines. You can make them as tall or short as you wish. That\'s one problem I had, mine are not consistent. I know I need to do better with that next time.

• 3 weeks later...

I did draft this design on my own. It looked a whole lot better on the stabilizer than it does in fabric. I just couldn\'t quite get things to line up. The rays are done with gold metallic on top and the silver variegated metallic in the bobbin. All the other threads are matched to the fabric pieces top and bobbin, so there is another copy of the quilt on the black background fabric.

post--13461899335844_thumb.jpg

Julie, I\'m going to trim it and bind it. It will be 42 x 42, a good wall hanging size. I was going to enter it at Innovations, but there are honestly quite a few mistakes in it. Probably I\'ll draft a new one, simliar to this, and do one just for competition. This was a "can I do this" trial?

Teresa,, I disagree about which looks better, ;o) I love color and errors (you can find, I can\'t), and all, it is just so pretty in living color.. and the graded sizes of the geese really touches it off.. Terrific job..

RitaR

Thanks for all your wonderful comments. I would take some close up pictures, but then you\'d see the boo boos.

Overall I\'m pleased with it. It is the first time I\'ve drafted my own pattern, my first time with curved piecing, and this is the largest foundation paper pieced thing I\'ve ever done. It was fun. The pattern for the second one is already swimming around in my head. I just have to get it drawn out and sewn. It will have the curved flying geese, and have the same colors with the black, but it will also be very different from this one. Maybe I\'m starting a series or something, but all these ideas are in my head. Maybe that\'s why I don\'t sleep at night.:cool:

I think I\'d rather stay awake at night, thinking about quilting, than the nightmare of having little elves chasing my machine around the quilt top, pulling all my stitching out.. That was a real nightmare.. I\'ll trade.. lol

RitaR

Archived