thread cutting

Can anyone tell me the trick to cutting the bobbin thread once you have finished a stencil or even a row. My old machine had an automatic thread cutter and all I did was push a button.

I have tried pulling the bobbin thread to the top like I do when I start to stitch but for some reason that the bobbin is not coming up when I tug on the top thread.

I know if I go to the end of the row I can reach under and cut it but what if I am doing a single pattern, say in a block in the middle of the quilt.

Roberta, after your last stitch, swing the longarm out a few inches, grab ahold of the top thread and pull it back toward you as you return the needle back to the original place you ended. While still holding the top thread, do one stitch, bring needle up, pull it away again and the bobbin thread will appear. Grab it with the same hand that is holding the top thread and then you can cut both, tie off and bury.

Roberta,

Sounds like Shana answered your question but I\'ll add this. I wear a apron when I\'m quilting, a denim one that I got at JoAnns for $4, anyway it has 2 pockets on it. One pocket I put any gadget I might need for quilting such as rulers or marking pens, the other pocket I use to put the cut threads in. This way they don\'t end up on the floor or tangled in my wheels. It is really funny now because if I forget to put my apron on I still go to put the thread in the pocket!

Heidi, I am with ya! You don\'t know it yet (now you do) but I am very anal about "my" stuff. I go nuts when I can\'t find things I\'m looking for (everything has its place--especially my quilting tools) and now that I am getting older and more forgetful, I have to really start working at it.

PS: Those threads on the floor drive me crazy when they stick to the batting, etc. I am always vacuuming around my longarm. The house? Nah...it can wait. The longarm room gets vacuumed all the time! :P

I bought an apron from Linda Taylor\'s booth at HMQS last April - "Longarmed and Dangerous" - and I don\'t quilt without it. Tools go in one pocket, thread tails in the other (I usually start with a kleenex in that pocket, somehow the threads stick to it better), and I have a small pair of blunt tip scissors on a retractable clip on the strap, so I always know where they are. If I forget to put the apron on, I feel naked!:P

And I put a single wall hook between my Millie and the stairs up, so the apron gets hung there, instead of traveling up with me. That way I always know where the apron is, too.

Very few thread tails on my floor - my vacuum cleaner thanks me!

I also wear an apron when quilting. I don\'t think I could do without it. Another thing I do is to put a piece of cotton/poly batting on the quilt I am working on & all my threads go there. The piece is usually about 6" x 6" and all thread stick to it. I can move it as I quilt and when it is full or I am through with the quilt, I just remove all threads from it and I am ready to use it on the next quilt.

Saundra

Barb - Yup I have the curved easy squeeze scissors on retractable cord too...It is a must. Right pocket is for tools, left pocket is for threads and anything else that has to be thrown out.

Shana - I used to vacuum the whole house every single day but those days are gone! Now I run it once a week and with just the two of us home most of the time that is more than enough. The only other time I have to pull it out is when the cat decides she needs to leave her lovely white fur around!

I love the apron idea!;)

For my scissors - I have one of those "command - 3M" fasteners stuck on the side of my machine and I hang my scissors on that. It\'s easily reachable from either the back or the front. I\'m using a small curved surgical pair of scissors that are great to remove thread, "frog" stitches and clip the threads underneath by turning the curved point toward the floor.

What a great idea about the apron. It is so cold in my quilt room that I typically wear a hooded sweatshirt, so tools end up in the front pocket. I always wear my scissors on a retractable clip that I put on my sweatshirt. Tend to forget I have the scissors on and have gone shopping more than once with them on.

Angela

A hint I have used is to tape a basket-style paper coffee filter to the left side of the machine to collect the thread tails. When I visited Maxine for a group meeting, she had a coffee filter pushed down over the front laser spindle. Works great and keeps the ends off the carpet.

Archived