Bernina 440

I have a problem and thought all of you could help me. I have a Bernia 440 with the stitch regulator. Bought it before I got my Milli and I did quilt with it, but now I don\'t. It is only used for piecing and binding. I can sell it and get into a machine that can do the same thing for a lot less money. I love sewing on it but the other machine is just as nice. I don\'t know if I will ever use it for machine quilting since I have the Milli. I know that some of you have the same machine and have you ever considered selling. I doubt that I would get the embroidery module so that isn\'t a reason to keep it.

Thanks for listening...:)

I have the 730 with the embroidery module. Use it mainly for piecing, binding and embroidery. Will never use it for free motion quilting with the BSR because it is just a lot easier using my Liberty.

It may come in handy doing small projects like placemats, table runners and things of that size though since it is not worth the time to actually load those up on a long arm.

Hi Sheryl,

Out of curiosity, I checked ebay "sold" items and the 440 has been selling between $2,000-$3,500 depending on all the goodies included. I guess the question to ask yourself is, what type of machine would you want to replace the 440 with and how much would that other machine cost you? That might help decide whether or not you would be getting the best bang for your buck reselling the 440 and getting something else. Best wishes.

Unless you really need the money then I would keep the Bernina. A Janome doesn\'t have the same solid quality as the 440. Do you have knee lift with the Janome? Would you need to buy lots more new extra feet?

I admit I am a Bernina fan so I wouldn\'t swap my 440 (or 1230 or 1130). Just kidding, the 1230 and 1130 are used in the shop but they are technically my machines. I do also have an 830 and one or two other old berninas but I\'m keeping those until they become vintage/antique.

Hi Lizziesgirl,

I have a 440 and I would not trade it in even though I have my millenium. I do sometimes do smaller quilts, table runners, etc. on my 440. I also use it for piecing. It is very reliable and sews like a dream. I, too, am a Bernina lover. I also have a Bernina 1080 that is wonderful, a real workhorse. Janome is a good brand but I agree with veg-girl. I don\'t think it enjoys the same reputation that Bernina has. Personal opinion.

Becky

in St. Charles, MO

Hi!! I\'m a Bernina fan too!! I have a 1530 and bought a 440 with the embroidery. I will never sell my 1530....just love that machine!!:) I got my 440 for quilting before my Millie. I will keep both even though I have my LA now! It comes in handy when some of the younger girls from my church want to come over and sew. We both have a machine that way!:) Don\'t you just LOVE to sew???!!!:):):) my advice would be to keep it, but you need to do what your budget calls you to do! linda

Thanks everyone. The Bernina is paid for that wasn\'t the issue. I guess I was feeling guilty having this machine sitting here not being used for the main reason of purchasing it, the BSR. I just wondered if any of you felt the same way. Truthfully I probably wouldn\'t be happy with anything else. I LOVE to sew and it does sew like a dream.

I just used my 440 yesterday to quilt a small block to frame. I love the way it sews. I used to own Janome (Have had more than one). I didn\'t want to admit it until I got my Bernina, the 440 is a much better machine than either of the top of the line Janome machines that I had. I also worked for a Jamone dealer in a past life.

Just my 2 cents,

Coleen

I have a Millie, the 440 and a Janome 6600P. I think they are all great machines. Obviously, the Millie is the main machine that I quilt on, but I love sewing on the 440. Its great for those times that I need to quilt or do free motion embroidery on something really small. I did a postcard for my SIL last week on the 440. I had a queen size quilt on Millie and frankly, it just feels like overkill to use Millie on a postcard.

I would swear that I stitch straighter on the 440 than on the 6600P, but its probably my imagination. I\'ve considered selling the 6600P, but so far I\'ve kept it as my back up machine. The 6600P is really fast! I also think that the buttons on the front of the machine are set up better than the 440. But you can\'t beat the 440 for its beautiful stitches. Its quieter, too.

I don\'t think you should feel guilty for having the 440. You are a professional (at least I\'m assuming that you quilt for others) and there for you should have professional equipment, at least IMHO.

I would definitely keep the Bernina 440. You will get sometime some little bitty project or do some projects yourself and will want to use the Bernina instead of the Millennium. I will not part with my Berninas. (plural) I did mention in another post I would hate to admit how many sewing machines I have!!!! My main machine is the 1130. I love it. Do all piecing with it. Your machine is a killer--keep it!:P

Sylvia

Hi Lizzie,

I own a Bernina 153, and I recently purchased the Janome 6600P used at a price I couldn\'t turn down. The reason I wanted the Janome 6600P is for the Accustitch system. But, I have found since I set it up on my sewing desk I don\'t miss my Bernina with the exception of how Bernina feet attach. There is not another machine that has feet that attach as solidly, and easily. Snap on feet are fine. But Bernina feet just have this nice solid feeling on the shank.

That feature aside I can\'t truly tell the difference in the stitch quality between the two machines. I have made several test pieces, and if I showed them to anyone, they could not pick out which was stitched on the Bernina, or which was stitched on the Janome.

The Accufeed system on the 6600P is really wonderful, especially for bindings, sashing, strip sewing, piecing backings. The machine also has the smaller 1/4" edge stitch foot like the Bernina. Plus a 9 point feed dog system which really feeds fabrics smoothly.

The Janome has a knee lift too. And very good lighting system.

I put my Bernina away for now. It\'s the Alex Anderson edition with the pretty red quilt motifs and her signature. I\'m not sure if I\'m going to keep it for it\'s collectibility. I\'ve been told Bernina does not issue signature machines very often, and they are worth keeping as their values increase.

I\'m rather enjoying the 6600P for now..... I never thought I would give up sewing on my Bernie, but so far I really like the Janome. Just my 2 cents worth. There is also a Janome 6600/6500 group on Yahoo you might want to join.

Archived