favourite Sharon Schamber dvd?

Hi Matildanme

I was browsing the posts and wondered who as up at 1.05am in the US. I then realised that you were in Australia too and that it\'s Monday afternoon here.

I\'ve purchased some of Sharon\'s DVD\'s from Tracey at Constantine Quilts in South Australia. The 6 hour "Feathers to Die For" is a great introductory package and and Longarm Couture Delicate Feathers is a complete project. Each DVD is $A22 with postage less than $A2 - comparable to the US prices (which is nice for a change).

I haven\'t had a chance to actually do any of the quilting yet. I\'ve sold my old Gammill and am still waiting for my Lenni to arrive. I paid for it 4 weeks ago with the understanding that it was ready to be shipped. However there seems to have been a massive stuff up in the shipping. Consequently there are supposed to be three boxes somewhere "out there in Australia" and where the other four are I can only wonder!!!!

Trying to remain positive and hoping this story has a happy ending.

Judy

Hi Judy,

Thanks for that. Constantine are having a sale at the moment 10% off dvd\'s and books, 20% off the basic rulers. Hence I thought now is a good time to buy ;) I was looking at the Couture Delicate Feathers and also thought that the Longarm Beginning Stipple and/or Stipple Basics Tutorial sounded good. Just can\'t make up my mind as they do kinda sound the same. Guess thats why I\'m asking.

Congratulations on your Lenni, I\'m sure he will turn up soon, \'tis a long way to come. I imagine it\'s a sea voyage so it all depends on how many ports between there and here. One would think that all the boxes would have been together?

Can you track his movements via the shipping company?

Of course this story will have a happy ending. You will be quilting away in no time!

cheers

Satu

Hi Satu

I didn\'t know Constantine were having a sale ... You may be right with the two stipple DVDs. As for her adjustments to the machine, big base, rice bags I\'m keeping an open mind on those things. A number of people recommend using the rice bags and an extended base, so I\'m going to have a go. As for adjusting my machine - I would really have to be familiar with my machine and have a lot of experience with adjusting tension before \'fiddling\' with it. That would be way into the future.

Thanks for your cheery note about my lost Lenni - and no it\'s not lost at sea. It was airfreighted and part or all of it reached Sydney nearly 14 days ago! The saddest part is that I live just outside Canberra - barely two hours from Sydney!

Bye the way, what machine do you have and how long have you had it?

Regards, Judy

you can join her site for a month to find out what you like

You can view all her videos for one month

I joined her site for a month definitely need to rejoin, I would commit longer but I am not sure about my job after July 1.

I spend hours on her site watching videos! she is amazing

Hello Judy,

I can\'t imagine that your Lenni will be too far away now. He\'s sure to arrive this week.

How on earth do they loose them big boxes?

I have had my (pre loved) Millie for a year. My hubby drove for 23 hours to collect her and bring her home. She is lovely. It\'s a huge learning curb but I think I\'m getting there. I\'ve been busy quilting away doing pantos, sid and circle lord work but I realised the other day that I\'ve not had a \'practice\' quilt on the machine since I got it so I think thats what I really need to do. I need to practice up on feathers \'n\' fillers and the alike, you know, all that you beaut free motion stuff. You can\'t go through your quilting life with just one kind of favourite loopy stipple/menander.

Have you been quilting for a long time?

Please let us know when your new baby arrives

Cheers

Hi Satu

I had a really detailed explanation from APQS today which I was really pleased to receive. It turns out that they pack the complete system in 7 boxes and to complicate things 2 machines were on order so there were 14 boxes which got mixed up and separated! I don\'t know how the factory is set up, maybe all the individual components are packaged and stored so that when an order comes they just select the boxes, label them and freight them. Anyway I\'m assured that all of my 7 boxes have been reunited and on the way.

I\'d have loved to have bought a Millie - it certainly looks more ergonomically friendly, not to mention the bigger quilting space. I\'ve had a very basic Gammill homecraft for 5 years now. It\'s been a real workhorse but I can\'t really go any further with it. Having front handles! will be a luxury not to mention a stitch regulator for custom work - I will be in heaven.

As for using one favourite loopy meander, I do it all the time! I spend tons of time doodling, but when it comes time to put it on a quilt ...

Regards, Judy

Hi Susan

I\'ve mulled over whether to join her site. She certainly is generous with her knowledge. Like you I\'d probably spend all my time viewing the videos and not actually doing any quilting!

How long have you had your Ultimate? Are you quilting for others or just yourself?

Regards, Judy

You are so right I have spent far too much time on her site and I have bought a bunch of stuff too! a few videos I want to keep I bought the halo for my domestic for smaller pieces! But I am learning a lot and gaining more and more confidence just to stitch away!

I bought my Ultimate used from APQS and they treated me as if I bought a top of the line Millie!

She runs awesome and I contemplate a stitch regulator every so often but I think I really don\'t need one but I will look again at MQX

I do quilt for others on a very small scale, mostly pantos some custom. I quilt in a very very small area! my room is only 7 feet by 12 feet. so my machine is on wheels and I move it around as needed.

for now enjoy your machine!!

Susan

If I loose my full time job in July I think I will try this full time so I am having an ad made but right now its just for fun.

Hello Satu,

I have three of Sharon\'s DVDs and enjoy them all.

I have Longarm - Basic Feathers

Filling the spaces

Longarm - Beginning Stipple

I watch them and think - "Yeah, I can do this!" (Problem is that she makes it look so easy.........) But then get frightened of my machine. :D This weekend I am determined to work on a practise piece to gain some confidence.

I love watching her videos on Utube as well. She is very generous with sharing her knowledge.

Regards,

Good morning all

There\'s nothing better than seeing how something is done for imprinting it on the brain. Some years back I came across Darlene Epp\'s site and loved her work. I bought her original pocket guides - they\'re fantastic and it\'s hard to think of a quilt where I haven\'t incorporated something from there. She\'s since revised them and now has also one on feathers. Of course, there are also many other great teachers who regularly provide advice on this site who have published books/DVDs/tools etc.

Regards,

Judy

Hi Susan

A machine on wheels sounds very practical - I might have to look into that. As for quilting full time, that\'s a decision that has to suit you and your commitments and there\'s been lots of discussion elsewhere on the site about the pros and cons.

Best wishes,

Judy

Hi Susanne

Funny how "I can do this" disappears when confronted by a quilt top on a new machine. Two very important pieces of advice I\'ve received from the seasoned quilters - use thread to match the top fabric and a busy print on the back - very good for building confidence. On the front your eye will not be distracted by the odd wobbly line and on the back you won\'t be able to see the quilting. Before you know it you\'ll be buying multi coloured threads and only ever have plain backings just so you can see the gorgeous quilting!

Go for it!

Regards, Judy

Hi Judy

APQS pack and label each customer\'s order separately. The labels have your name and full address including the post code on each box. When they arrive at the transport company\'s depot, they relabel the boxes according to their destination (state) and the name of the air carrier - ie. Qantas. It is the job of the people at the freight company\'s depot to "carefully" read the details - seems in our case they weren\'t careful enough.

Best wishes

sue in australia

OK, have placed my order.

The dvd\'s all started to look the same so I just picked out 2 different looking ones.

I\'m getting Sharons feathers to die for and her long arm stipple 3W dvd\'s.

I\'ve also ordered the "tempting templates" book and some swag rulers. And have discovered in the process that my Millie has the old hoop foot with the adapter! Thanks for that Sue :)

Now then Judy, where to get Darlene Ebbs pocket books? They may be next on my hit list!

Maybe if I spend as much time on the machine as I do reading about quilting I\'d be real good by now lol

Thanks Ladies,

Cheers

Hi Satu

I got the pocket guides from Sue Morris and I assume you can still get them from her. She would probably have the new feathers guides. If you\'re out there Sue, do you have them in stock?

I\'m definitely with you on spending too much time on the web instead of at the machine!

Regards, Judy

Gotta Chime in,

I\'m a huge Sharon Schamber fan and have very video, book, pattern and anyting else she recommends simply because what she says works and so long as you follow her process you get the same results every time.

Any how that\'s my 2cents worth.

Tina in Canada

I have the 3W\'s of Stippling, I took the class a couple of years ago at the Houston show. She has several bakground fills on it that are really nice, and she demonstrates and explains so well. I\'d never touched a longarm before and was just getting interested in the idea of using one, and that\'s why I took the classes. Between Sharon\'s class, and Karen McTavishes class on Mastering McTavishing I was hooked!

Yes please Sue, put aside a set for me, thanks :)

Kenna, having lessons and going to Houston must have been grand, but something tells me you go to Houston often, Yes? lol I suppose it depends on where in Texas you are though. She\'s a big state.

You guys are so lucky to have all that and more on your continent! Maybe one day I\'ll meet you in Houston and we\'ll do lunch! I may have to stop buying fun quilty stuff and save up some travel money or find me someone who needs a travel companion ;)

cheers

I am so excited as I have signed up for 4 of Sharon Schambers classes. My quilt booked her some 3 years ago. She is teaching for us the end of May and the first of June. There is a curved piecing, an applique, a long arm demo and a long arm class. I\'m enrolled in all of them. I am so impressed with her. She is so basicly humble in her ego and so masive in her talent. I want to be just like her when I grow up in this quilting world.

Archived