Hook Assembly Replacement - DONE!!

Last evening I had a catastrophic failure on my poor Millie - pieces of needle and hook ricocheting around my studio.:( (poor baby!) I have a new hook assembly coming from APQS, should arrive Wednesday, bad news is my DH has to work late on Wednesday night, so unless I want to wait until he comes home on Thursday night to replace the hook, I\'ll have to do it myself.

Here\'s the question for all you fearless ladies (and gents;)) who have done this yourself: any suggestions for approaching the process with something other than fear and trembling? Any tips or tricks to make the process smoother? I have the original machine manual and the Maintenance Manual that Mark provided at the Maintenance Class at Innovations.

I know that once I\'ve gone through this process, it will no longer be so intimidating - I\'ve seen the posts from those who have done it. But I\'ll take all the help I can get!

Thanks!

Barb,

Just relax--it isn\'t hard to do. The maintenance manual is very thorough about how to change the hook. Take each step one at a time, and you\'ll be fine.

Before you begin, get the tools you\'ll need, such as two flat blade screwdrivers, a Phillips screwdriver, some fine emory cloth, and most importantly, a good magnifying glass. Removing the old hook and installing the new one is simple, and even setting the timing is not difficult if you use patience and the magnifying glass to help you set everything correctly.

Don\'t stress about it--you\'ll be fine! Plus you have everyone here to help you!

Hi Barb--

While your DH is handy, both of you can remove the old hook assembly. This is a bear to do! It is usually on so tight it takes a huge screwdriver to get enough leverage to remove it.

If you had a terrible time removing it, when it is off, there will probably be a divot or two on the shaft from the bolts that you removed (they hold the assembly tight on the shaft). Take some fine sandpaper, hold it on the shaft like you would be polishing a shoe, set the machine to slow speed and turn on to smooth down the shaft and remove the gouges. This will make the shaft microscopically smaller and smooth so the new assembly will slide on easier. (I am editing to add that this would be the ONLY time the machine should be on during this process!!! Sorry. I would recommend that you unplug your machine while doing the rest!)

When you are replacing the assembly, remember that you are trying to position it two ways. You want the assembly to rotate starting from an exact point, and it also must be at an exact point from front to back. So you will be turning it around and also pushing it forwards and backwards on the shaft.

I was terrified at first but I have a handy DH. He removed the old, got me set up for the new and left me to finish it. You will be under the machine with your strong light and maybe that new magnifier we all got from Michael\'s last month!!!

I will be with you in spirit and once you do it, the fear is gone to be replaced by a sigh of relief and a new confidence.

Oh--don\'t forget to replace the hook retaining finger properly. It\'s the first thing you take off and the last back on--slide it towards the hook assembly only far enough to stop the hook from rotating. If you push it in too far the thread will catch on it and break. BTDT for a week after replacing the hook.

We\'re cheering you on--keep us posted and email if you get stuck.

It\'s MUCH easier than changing a flat tire:-) I know from personal experience. I even did it without a manual. Put a small piece of white cloth or rough batting on your table so those tiny little screws don\'t roll away and get lost. Or use that magnetic dish most of us bought for pins. Then relax and take a deep breath. It really is quite easy.

There is an improved procedure (with pictures) for replacing the hook and setting timing. (I think it is in the latest manual.) It shows the easy way to remove the hook assembly (Mark told me several years ago). It is very simple and easy if you follow the directions. I might get it on our web page for download in a few days. If you are in the middle of performing this task email me and I will send you the file.

John

John,

I have the new Maintenance Manual that Mark provided at the Maintenance Class at Innovations last September - I sure am glad I took that class! I hope to be replacing the hook assembly either Wednesday night or Thursday - I\'ll be going into withdrawal without my baby to play with! I\'ve looked at the photos in the new manual, and you\'re right, it doesn\'t look too bad. But the first time through anything is a bit intimidating....

Thanks to all who have provided encouragement and advice - it is much appreciated!

The new hook assembly is on, thanks to my DH:P and my Millie is sewing like the champ she\'s always been! It was definitely a two-man (or one woman-one man;)) job, in order to direct the light, hold the magnifying glass, rotate the hook, etc., etc. The instructions provided by APQS were excellent, and the advice provided here was great, as well (as usual!).

Thanks, everyone, for the advice and good thoughts!

It is so good to know that we don\'t need to be intimidated by our machines and that just because we spend enough money on it to buy our husbands a bass boats on it we can still work on it:cool:....I bet when the bass boat is on the fritz he will have to take it in to be fixed:D

Archived