TABLES

anabors0083

I have a 4\' x 8\' table that I made out of plywood, and when I can afford to by the matt that is exactly that size I will but in the mean time I am using 36" x 56". Joann\'s has a cutting table to fit this matt that has drawers and a storage space underneath....I had this one for years, but needed something bigger so built my own.

Originally posted by sandradarlington

I bought the one from JoAnn\'s and it gets very wobbly.

Really....wow....I didn\'t have that problem....mine was it wasn\'t big enough to trim out a quilt.... But I have noticed that a lot of things at Joann\'s has gotten cheaper made so I guess I\'m not surprised at all.

Sandra,

I have one of those too. It has a frame underneath and little wheels. The sides of the table drop down so you can park it agains a wall or out of the way. Yep, mine is wobbly too. I have parked it behind the bar and use those banquet tables with folding legs....like in a church or school.

Here\'s an idea. This is what I plan on doing when I finally get my studio. Get 4 kitchen cabinets, the ones that have cupboards with drawers above that go under your kitchen counter tops. Lowes and Home Depot, etc., carry them. put 2 side by side, and then put the other 2 back to back with them. I\'m putting casters on so I can move it around. You can get either a sheet of plywood for the top or formica. Then I\'m getting one of those huge cutting mats to put on top. I\'ll cover something else with batting an fabric that I can lean on a wall and put on top for a huge ironing surface when I need one. I\'m going to mount my rolls of batt on the wall and put a piece of angle iron with a gap underneath along one side of the top surface. That way I can roll the batting, slide it under the angle iron and cut with a rotary cutter. The cupboards and drawers will be a tone of storage that I desparately need!

I, also, have the banquet table but it is too low for me (I\'m 5\'9") so DH bought a length of PVC pipe and cut it in 14" pieces and fit them over the legs and now it stands tall enough for me! Of course you can cut them any length to fit your height. I even take them to class as it kills my back to bend over to cut.

I also like the banquet tables. I have two of them and I would put them side by side in my sewing/rec room and use them to pin the quilt sandwich together before I would squish it through my Bernina. Now I use them as extra picnic tables. My problem is space...or lack of space in my sewing room. I need something with drop leaves that I can close up quickly if someone needs to walk from the steps to the laundry room. Since I bought the Liberty I have very little space left for anything else in the room.

So when I have some extra cash floating around, I will spend the $400 or so to buy a Horn or Koala cutting table that will fold up quickly when needed and still be very sturdy (compared to my JoAnn\'s table).

Some of the ideas I just read about sound great. I especially like the 4 kitchen cabinets together with the cutting mat on top and the wheels. If I had the space, that\'s the way I would go.

I have a horn table and mat. I really like it and needed the drop sides because my space is limited. I had the wobbly table from JoAnns at first, and after about a week it went to the garage to await the next garage sale. It is long gone. The Horn table is worth the investment and is very easy to roll from place to place. I also had the banquet table/pvc pipe leg set-up for awhile, but it was difficult to pull out and move when necessary. That became a garage table also.

Sherry Jack

Hi Merry Jo,

What you describe as your ideal cutting table is exactly what I did about 15 years ago. My sewing room at that time was a small bedroom so it was half the size it is now. When we moved and I got a proper sized room, I bought another set of cabinets, a bigger sheet of plywood and doubled it.

I wrapped the plywood with Warm and Natural batting then a couple layers of polyester, then strong muslin. It\'s a great pressing surface and when I need to cut I just put the cutting mat on top.

On both long sides I\'ve got tape measures attached, and I\'ve also taken black Pigma Pens and marked straight lines and different sized blocks to keep things straight as I press.

I\'m 5\'5" and this is the perfect height for me, but if I was taller, I\'d just put some kind of spacers between the cabinets and the top. Then I could also store my cutting mats in the space under the top.

My hubby put screws in the side of the cabinets to hang my rulers and smaller pressing pad on.

Here\'s the link to see my Sewing Room album.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/563457056YdpaKJ

Archived