tension trouble

Anne Que

Dear all,

I have got my Millenium for some time now, do a lot of practice but still have lots of trouble getting the tension right. Can anyone tell me about a Towa Bobbin Case Tension Gauge?

I see that some of you use this device and that it seems very satisfying. Does it solve your tensiontrouble? I looked on the internet and saw that there is a "L"class bobbin case and a "M" class case. Which one should I order?

Thank you

Anne Que

Yes, there is an "M" case and "L" case, be sure you get the right one.

Yes, it does help with tension problems.

What is happening with your tension?

If you don\'t have the Towa Gauge right now, you can try the drop test. Most of the time, the problem is with the top tension, but I won\'t go without my Towa. I can\'t get the drop test to work right.

Let us know more about what is going on with your tension, it might make it easier to tell you what to do to help.

And just be aware...sometimes it just takes getting use to your machine before you can get the tension right. I had problems in the beginning too, and if you look at the post of the tension troubles, most are from new quilters. There just seems to be a "getting acquainted" period.

Thank you Mary Beth for such a quick answer! I thought everyone in the USA was still asleep!

I used King Tut in the top en Bottom Line in the bobbincase. Whatever I am trying, I keep having railwaytracks on top òr on the bottom of the quilt. (fortunately for practicing). The stitches will not get beautiful. At first the thread was breaking too and even three needles, but somehow that problem solved itself.

Everytime I use another kind of thread, it will keep me busy for days to adjust the tension. I always use Bottem Line though.

Yes, I see that many beginners have the same problems, and that is comforting in a way. Especially when senior quilters tell you it will pass.

What is a drop test precisely? And if I have a Millenium, should I order a "L" or a "M"case size?

kind regards Anne

Anne, for the Millenium you need the "L" size.

I don\'t use the Towa, I have been very successful with just the bobbin drop test. This is holding the thread tail coming out from the bobbin case and keeping your other hand under the bobbin so it doesn\'t go flying, you let the bobbin drop towards the floor. It should crawl down the thread like a spider. Depending on what type of Bobbin you are using, prewound, metal or aluminum, it will drop different lengths. Prewounds will drop only about 2" or so, metal should drop around 6". Getting your bobbin set right will make tension adjustments very easy.

When you have railroad tracks that is telling you you are not balanced. If they are on the bottom, then you need to loosen your bobbin tension and then most likely tighten the top and vice versa if they are on the top.

I tend to run a loose bobbin tension and then make incremental adjustments on the top.

Yes, with a Millie or any APQS you will need an "L" - all of the APQS machines are "L" style bobbins.

There are some other posts on the drop test, you can go the "search" button at the top to search the subjects and find more info. I can try to tell you...but I can\'t do it :) My bobbin really drops...then rolls across the floor and I am not a happy quilter :( . This is what you do...put the bobbin in the case, hold the case in the palm of your left hand, and the thread tail in your right hand (reverse if you are left handed), then let go of the bobbin case, it should be tight enough to hold the bobbin suspended, then give just a little tug and the bobbin case should drop about 4". That is what happens in a perfect world....not in mine :)

I can\'t remember what has happened when I have tried King Tut, but I have read a few posts....you could do a search there too and see what others have said...but from what I gather, King Tut can be trouble.

If your bobbin threads are on top, but the bottom stitches look okay, then you need to loosen your top tension. If your top threads look fine, but your bottom stitches look bad, then you need to tighten your top tension.

If I were you I would go slowly which ever direction you need to go. If your thread keeps breaking try some thread lubricant. If your needles are breaking....that sounds like something you need to talk to a tech about. I don\'t think that should be happening.

And yes, I am up and at it before most Americans :) Around 4:30 am....it is storming here today and a clap of thunder woke me up at 4:15 am....I will be needing a nap about 10 am :D

I use Sew Fine in the bobbin w/cotton on the top. Sew Fine is such a nice all purpose thread. I don\'t have a Towa either and don\'t have tension problems (once in a while I do). Sometimes I just go too fast w/the machine and that seems to affect the bobbin. I also use a lot of Isacord thread (poly). It\'s heavier and has a little more shine to it. When I do have tension problems I use a net on the thread, Sewer\'s Aid on the cotton spool, and rethread (make sure you use only 1 hole in the guide above the tension adjustment when using King Tut).

" it should be tight enough to hold the bobbin suspended, then give just a little tug and the bobbin case should drop about 4". That is what happens in a perfect world....not in mine "

Hmmmmm. maybe that is why yours go flying! :P I don\'t do mine so that you have to give it a tug to start dropping. It immediately starts to move as I let go of the bobbin. Also, the generic 4" stated will be different depending on the weight of the bobbin in the case. The "drop" will be different for a prewound bobbin vs. the metal bobbins due to the weight of the bobbin and not the thread on the bobbin.

Thank you all for your kind advice. It\'s really a problem this tensionbusiness isn\'t it? I am not an expert yet in kinds of threads, but I used King Tut because I like the look of coton over polyester. It is about the same way you like wood over plastic or stone I think. It looks more alive.

Maybe anyone has an advice in threadchoice? Is there any other thread that looks like coton but is easier to use? Mary Beth, if you do not use King Tut, which thread do you prefer? Or do you not like coton at all? It looks to me, coton is somewhat thicker than for instance Rainbows. The stitches seem less tight. But maybe I did not have the tension right.

Anne

Originally posted by Katydids

I don\'t do mine so that you have to give it a tug to start dropping. It immediately starts to move as I let go of the bobbin. Also, the generic 4" stated will be different depending on the weight of the bobbin in the case. The "drop" will be different for a prewound bobbin vs. the metal bobbins due to the weight of the bobbin and not the thread on the bobbin.

Patty...also to add its different with each machine as well (I use only metal bobbins, rarely a pre-wound)....If I had a bobbin do as you expressed, I would have such a loose bobbin it would make a birds nest.

I have to have mine even tighter than the four inch drop when tugged, mine only goes maybe 2 and it just right. That is for So Fine thread...cottons or others each is different but none drop as far as the 4.

The Towa is the best way to go to get the guess work out of the bobbin, as it does take that flustered feeling out of your life. I don\'t have one...I still have a flustering moment once in awhile, and I need to walk away, so maybe someday I will spring for one also.

Ann if you have the manual you received with Millie, the drop test should be in it. Which, threads do we prefer, you\'ll probably get a million answers. I agree with Bonnie each machine has a mind of its own. If you have thread questions, this is the site to ask. You can also go to www.superiorthreads.com and Bob the thread guy has lots of useful info. A lot of the quilters on this site are Superior Bob fans.

Does your machine have an onboard bobbin winder, or are you using a stand alone winder. The stand alone winders have a tension you can adjust as well, sometimes it\'s a sloppy wind job that can throw you off, also try another bobbin, some bobbins are just not nice. Hope your tension problems are solved. remember, if you are changing tensions, it may help to adjust the top tension, but always remeber where you started and adjust no more than 1/4 turn at a time, see what happens. Just my two cents worth. Happy stitching.

Bob is the owner of Superior Threads. He goes around the country giving lectures at quilt shows concerning all things thread. He puts out informative newsletters and has a whole section on his website on thread education. They have great prices for thread and if you have a business they do wholesale. Check out their site at www.superiorthreads.com. I\'m sure many of the quilters on this site will recommend him and his company (no, I\'m not getting a commission from him).

Archived