Does anyone RENT their machine out?

Hi all,

it's been some time since I've been on here. I'm just about recovered from shoulder surgery. I seem to have ripped my rotator cuff in half. 3 months post op now and haven't sewn since January.

SOOOO, my question is does anyone rent their machine and could anyone assist me in this area?

Thanks.

Tish

Guest Linda S

Hi Tish - I'm in the no way no how camp when it comes to renting my machine, but I just wanted to wish you a good recovery. I had rotator cuff surgery about 5 years ago. I have full range of motion now, but I went through a grueling physical therapy program to get there.

Linda

Welcome back Tish and warm wishes for a good recovery from your surgery.

If you are not able to use your machine until you are healed, renting your machine would be an option for earning some income. Research old posts about training classes and what to charge for those. Charging for a training class will weed out the casual, curious user and leave you with interested, invested renters. You will probably want to be in the same room with your renter to help and watch for problems. You will maybe make as much, hour-for-hour, renting as you would quilting yourself. Nice to have that extra coming in until you are ready to start up again!

My LQS is Bayside and they rent the HQ16s for $15 per hour after taking a class. This is about $10 less than a local quilter charges to rent her Gammill. I have never had anyone ask to rent my machine, but that option is always there.

Good luck and heal quickly. Nice to have you back on the chat!

Tish,

One of the things you'll need to research before renting your machine is insurance. You and your customers might be covered under your existing policy, but renters may not be - check with your agent.

And may you heal quickly and completely!

Good morning Tish,

Sorry to hear about your surgery, hope you have a speedy recovery. I too had shoulder surgery for a torn rotator cuff, my recover went very well. That was about 3 years ago....lately I was working out in the gym and DH thought he would be my personal trainer...he told me to grab the 15 lb weights. I remember looking at him like he had 3 heads, but I tried it. I never use over 10 lbs. Now I am having pain in that shoulder again. I don't even want to go to the doctor...so I am holding out.

About renting your machine....I am in the same camp with Linds S - No how! No way!!

I rent out my machine as part of my business operation. I offer a required class on how to opperate the machine, it is 1 1/2 hour lecture and questions. then a break, then 2 hr. hands on with practice fabric. After that it is $25. an hour to rent my Milli. My goal of course is to get them to love the machine so much they want one at home. So far I have had no problems. I have a store front so my insurance covers my customers in normal opperations of my business. The APQS machines are so user friendly and well built that you shouldn't be afraid to rent it out.

Joyce

Bonnie,

I was just reading Joyce's post, for me I am with you, I am not trying to sell a machine to anyone, so I decided a long time ago that I work way to hard to get enough money to buy one of these machines. I'm sure not going to let someone come in and have their way with her. I can understand Joyce being an APQS rep and renting out a machine...that is a whole new ballgame.

On the other side of the fence... if there hadn't been someone out there to rent a machine for me to use, I never would have jumped into the wonderful, exciting world of longarm quilting! My rental experiences were all at storefronts, and none of them were Millies, but I wouldn't have spent the money that I did without spending a few hours making sure this was what I wanted to do.

That being said, I don't rent my machine, and I don't think I want to face the expenses that renting her out could and would bring - insurance, repairs, downtime, etc. But nobody's asked, either.

I rent my machine out for $15.00 per hour, and $12.00 per hour to our guild members. I've only had 9 people rent it in the last 2 years, and only 2 of them have come back more than once. The other's have decided it was to difficult to do a good job and would rather pay me to quilt there quilts. I never let them change the bobbin and I am in the room 100% of the time sewing.

Barb

I don't and would never rent my machine out (it's already paid in full). However I understand why some may want to, for instance if they had to take out a loan for the machine and are having a hard time making payments on it because times are tough, and the individual really doesn't want to have to sell the machine.

Dear Tish,

I posted a similar question here several months ago asking specifically to hear from persons who had successfully done this and was frustrated at how many persons chose instead to post threads saying they would never rent their machine.

However, I did establish communication with a few quilters who were very helpful, including Julia Graves.

I just got my machine in April and am now busy PPP, both the quilting aspect and the teaching aspect, taking scrupulous notes and making detailed lesson plans. I think the most important thing for anyone contemplating renting their machine is that they must love to teach. I love teaching and, in my case, not from the aspect of selling someone a machine, but simply because I love to teach anything and share what I know about something which excites me. It being an additional avenue of income is just icing on the cake. If I can make money on my machine when I am not even using it, how does it get any better than that?

The next most important thing is the fee. It must be cheaper for them to quilt it themselves than to hire it done. They have to understand it is harder than it looks and that it will take time to learn.

I'm going to do it, and I'm all excited about it. I will teach pantos or meandering only and use one brand of cotton thread only, so I won't have to fiddle with the tension. I have my first student already lined up and chomping at the bit for me to get ready to teach her.

I hope you all do not thing I have a problem with you teaching...or if you want to rent your longarm or whatever that is up to you. I just wanted to throw out my opinion. It doesn't seem to bother some people to spend this huge amount of money on this equipment and then let someone come into your studio and use it. I cannot do that. I worked forever to get this machine. Also, I have something others may not have and so I can provide them with a service....that is how I stay in business. So I am just trying to get others to see where I am coming from too. Some people are teachers and that is wonderful. Personally I know I am not, I'm not good at it....but thank goodness for those of you out there that are willing to teach longarm quilting. Not really trying to tick anyone off here...just trying to converse!

Wow - I'm getting to be famous!

Yes, I rent my machine and have done so successfully for over a year and a half. Visit my website to see my prices, classes, etc. I work full-time, so only have evenings and weekends available, and I have at least 3 renters per week and often up to my max of 6.

Insurance is absolutely critical, as is how you set up your business. LLC has more protection than a Schedule C small business.

Feel free to email with questions, and search the posts for past threads where I've provided more info.

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=10525&page=1#pid97151

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=8235&page=1#pid70365

Good luck!

Julia

I should tell you that my DH and I both went to Iowa and took the maintance class and we do service machines in our area. The course and knowing the service dept. is just a phone call away and the 13 years of sharring my Ult.II with friends are the reasons we decided to go into bussiness with APQS. We are looking into getting a second machine in the near future.

Joyce

Barb,

I'm am hoping to have very few people interested in renting and I'm also hoping to get just a few regulars that are interested in rental.

I don't want the world to rent it and have reservations about renting all together. BUT, I'd much rather rent it out that have to sell it. So, that's my choice and the short term rental won.

Thanks!!

Tish

Originally posted by sewbobby

I rent my machine out for $15.00 per hour, and $12.00 per hour to our guild members. I've only had 9 people rent it in the last 2 years, and only 2 of them have come back more than once. The other's have decided it was to difficult to do a good job and would rather pay me to quilt there quilts. I never let them change the bobbin and I am in the room 100% of the time sewing.

Barb

Thank you for all the responses. This hasn't been an easy decision at all. This is my baby and in a perfect world I'd never let anyone touch it. HOWEVER, my other choice is to sell it so renting has won.

I have made up a contract that will require a begining class for 3 hours and will require a $100.00 deposit (cash) and half payment when they schedule time. The deposit will be used to help off set any damages done while the renter is using the machine, if they put it out of timing or something like that. It will be refunded only if the machine is in the same working condition at the end of the use as it was in the begining, and the renter has to initial every line prior to use.

I thank you all. Love this site. Everyone is so helpful and supportive here, it's nice.

Tish:P

Archived