Back tacking

So, Bonnie, by burying the thread you wouldn't need to back track? I tried burying threads earlier today for the first time. It really makes it look nicer. When I back track it shows up on the back of the quilt. My customer wants the top thread to match each color of material (5 colors). She doesn't care if the back has all different colors on it because it will be hung on a wall. But the back track really shows when the contrasting color is used. I guess if she doesn't care about the colors I shouldn't care about all the start and stop tracks?

No Mary Lou, with buring the threads I have never had one come back out....alot of the times you run over a thread that been pulled under the top on your next pass. I just make sure that I pull at least a 6 - 10 inches under the top and catch the batting.....

Thanks for all your great responses. Question; when you say you knot the thread and pull it through, are you not locking your stitches then when you start off? And when you pull about 6" through do you try to keep it as close to the seam line as possible? I've never seen it done just trying to figure it out.

Thanks again everyone!!

I pull the bottom thread to the top, knot the two threads together, then bury them between the sandwich.

I tried backtracking the stops and starts and wasn't happy with the look. I guess it depends who and what the quilt is for.

When others talk of 'locking' their first stitch, is that another term for backtracking or is it another way of securing?

And just one more question. For those of you who bury, how close do yo try and position the knot on the thread tails? I've always been a bit unsure of what works best.

Thanks

I also bury the threads but I use the self or easy threading needles so you just pull the thread and it's in the "eye" of the needle. Very handy. I usually only bury about 1 inch of thread. I do try to pull it toward the next pass of the quilting so hopefully it will catch in the stitching.

I'm on the 'bury your threads' train...especially on a quilt that will be entered in competitions. Like you, I bring the bobbin thread to the top, tie a knot, and pop it under the quilt top when I bury the threads. What I use, however, is one of those self-threading needles. The larger ones will handle 2 or even 4 threads at a time and they do stay in the needle long enough to get the tails buried. I find it much quicker than using a separate needle threader. Also, it's a good idea to go back & bury your threads every few starts & stops instead of waiting til the end of your quilting. To many opportunities to quilt right over some of those long thread tails.

Originally posted by Bobbi47

OK grils, so do you "knot & bury" as you go along? or wait til you're done?

I always back tack with 2 tiny stitches.

I bury each row, as I go....if you wait to do the whole quilt...it just seems like it will never get done.:P

I use to do the 2 tiny stitches, but they have come out in the wash so IF I do it that way, I do more than 2.....

Wow, I feel so lacking in knowledge. I thought all you had to do was pull the bobbin thread up and do 3 tiny stitches. Can someone humor me and tell me what it means to bury the threads in the sandwhich or maybe point me to a dvd I can buy. I am assuming knotting means that you tie the bobbin and top thread together after you pull the thread up.

I am very grateful to Shana who shared with me how to pull the bobbin thread up when you finish. It is working brilliantly. Do you have to knott the threads then too. I have just been backstitching, pulling up the bobbin thread and snipping.

I really appreciate your help. I have bought dvd's and books but haven't come accross this info yet. You all have helped me so very much and I am really thankful.

I have my first big quilt on my frame now and will post pictures so you can see it when I am done. I am so excited to get it finished. Mind you my SID's are a little wavy, but I am in the practice stage. I am having so much fun and I do want to learn to do a good job.

TIA :D

I have soooooooooo many start and stops on this BIG quilt. I have been dragging to the next start and back tacking. Mrs. A mentioned to bury the thread every so often. I'm not sure how to bring the bottom thread up. Roberta was thanking Shana for telling her how. Maybe one of them will share with me too? Do you do this so that you don't have to clip so many threads on the back?

Thanks everyone!! But burying the thread will be a lot of work but in the end will look better.

Originally posted by roberta

Can someone humor me and tell me what it means to bury the threads in the sandwhich or maybe point me to a dvd I can buy. I am assuming knotting means that you tie the bobbin and top thread together after you pull the thread up.

Here is a photo of needle in the fabric....pull both threads to the top, I then tie the two together at the quilt and then thread the needle and pull the tail across, but under the top fabric....

post--13461900047282_thumb.jpg

Archived