Accounting Program for Quilting Business

For those of you who have a retail studio, what accounting program do you use to track your inventory and sales and invoices? I've just been long-arm quilting since August and I've committed myself to taking my first client the beginning of December. In regard to the programs - I've looked at Quicken and understand it is a fairly easy program to use but, does it fit the needs quilters have? I know that Linda Taylor has a program created but, from what I can get from the web site, that appears to have an annual renewal and I'm not sure if it would be worth it. Are there any other quilting accounting programs out there? Any direction and info would be appreciated.

I like the Eureka system too but I use Quick Books Pro because DH will sometimes help me with my accounting and he knows how to work QB. At the end of the year, we just save everything to a CD and take it to the CPA and she does her magic without me having to go through and give her all kinds of info . . it's all right there on the CD.

I have been using the Quickbooks program for several years to do my husbands Welding Books, I have also used it for my babysitting business, nail business as well as my coaching business. I have got a new millenium due to arrive on the 10th of November and I will be utilizing this program for that as well. Like with any new program you'll have to play around on it and discover all the wonderful things that it can offer you. It has a great feature called the 'easy-step interview' that will walk you through step by step to set your books up.

You can customize your invoices, statements etc. I haven't had to track a whole lot of inventory in the past but what I have done the program does great!!

If you have any more questions feel free to email me cequilting@hotmail.com.

Good Luck!!

I had to smile when I read that thepearsonfamily uses their quickbooks for the husband's welding business. I too have a husband in the welding business as well as farming. We have used quickbooks for both businesses for three years now and I sometimes am frustrated, but my accountant gets me through it. It sure is nice to be able to print reports at the end of the year and give them to accountant. If you do payroll, though, you will have to subscribe to keep updated on the tax rates, etc. for your state. Check your area for classes. I recommend the program.

I haven't quite started up my business yet but last year I bought the Business Suit program and I really liked the concept of it. Since it is designed for longarm quilting. My only problem is finding decent support for it. I am very disappointed in it so far. I was told that end of Sept they would have an update or patch available and that I would be on the list to receive it but that hasn't happened. I was hoping after spending that kind of money that they would back it up. I am not sure what I will be switching to if they do not do something fairly soon. I am finally able to start painting my sewing shop and I really hope I can start quilting in it soon. I am very anxious, you know how that goes LOL!

The Machine Quilters Business Manager (Eureka Documentation) as made exclusively for longarmers and for someone just starting out and who has only one business, I think it is hard to beat. With it, you are able to associate a picture with your invoice so that if someone wants you to quilt their quilt just like you did someone else's, you can refer back to the invoice/picture. Mary had longarmers test the program and give her feedback on what we wanted or didn't want.

Please check it out before making a decision - http://www.eurekadocumentation.com/

I have heard a lot of really good reports about the Machine Quilters Business Manger. I was hoping I would get some type of support on the Business Suite software but I would have to rate it as a very low to no support. LOL! I will check out the Machine Quilters software. Thanks

Guest Linda S

I have both Quick Books and Machine Quilters Business Manager (Eurekadocumentation program). I no longer use the Quick Books. MQBM is set up to be very specific to our businesses and it very user friendly. I love it!

Linda

Thought I would jump in. First I guess I would ask, are you keeping inventory, or doing payroll. I am simply a longarmer not a fabric store. I also teach some classes, so I don't have inventory. Only my backing and batting. And for backing I only keep cream and white wide width on hand. So I classify this a material needed on my spreadsheet. I only charge tax on what I sell of that, not labor. I kept it real simple, I use a excell spreadspead , I have built a cashflow statement, and I keep a checkregister on a speperate spreadsheet. These both work for the tax guy. I will send you a sample if you want to e-mail me direct. Good luck with whatever way you choose to do this.

Guest Linda S

The Quilter's Business Manager is great, even if you don't have much inventory. I keep track of my threads, backings, battings, etc. It also will let you input your fee for each type of quilting -- simple meander, open panto, dense panto, freehand with a border, custom, etc., and will automatically calculate the charge based on the size of the quilt. It will keep track of your customers, you can put a photo of each of their quilts in with the quilt order. That way, if Jane says, I want you to quilt my quilt just like you did Mary's a year ago, you have a record! It can put all your customers into your database so you can send them all a postcard or flyer, holiday greeting, etc. There are just too many features to mention. It is a dynamite program.

Linda

Is the Machine Quilters Business Manager a 1X only charge to purchase it or, do you have to pay an annual fee to "update?" I'm also a licensed real estate appraiser and I have a work program that I have to pay an annual fee to continue to receive all the updates which is why I'm asking.

My inventory is mostly going to be my batting & backing fabric but, I'm going to have a few other notions available and, I'd rather have one accounting program rather than creating all of the different programs in Excel or such.

Guest Linda S

So far, it's been a one-time fee. There was one upgrade at the beginning of 2005, and it was free for those who already owned the program. I'm not sure how it will go if there are future upgrades.

Linda

Has anyone looked at the system created by Christine Olson in Washington state? How does this Eureka system differ from hers? I currently have not used either one, but am looking into upgrading my own system, which is paper/pen at the moment.

Thanks

Grace

Guest Linda S

I'm not aware that Christine has a program. She has written a book called "Breaking the Code" that helps you decide what to put on your quilts, but to my knowledge, she does not have an accounting program for quilters.

Linda

• 2 months later...

I have to say that I just bought Eureka Documentation at the first of the year and I wish I would have had it six years ago when I first started. I have had several customers tell me how much they like the printed receipt. You can't go wrong with this program:P

Archived