Now what do I do?

jmcclannan

To make things easier for you, I would use a variegated thread that blends in with both fabrics nicely so that the quilting is not the focus of the quilt, but enhances the piecing. A really pretty white & black variegated would look cool, or even a red & white, or even one that goes from red to white to black. :) Or, you could just use a white thread like So Fine that isn't too thick & thready....it will sink in and look really pretty.

OK SO I want to see your quilt when finished! Have fun and happy quilting. :)

Julie, I totally agree with Shana. I did a green and cream log cabin about a year ago, and I used a dark forest green thread and did the feathers following the diamond shape lines in the quilt. It turned out beautiful. And if all else fails, get ahold of Darlene!!! LOL But really, you can do it. Just go for it:P:cool::):D

Julie,

Tina Collins had a log cabin in her freehand post last week. I did something similar. She freehanded veined feathers in the lighter part, I couldn't make out what she did in the darker parts. I then freehanded roses and leaves in the pink(darker) part of the log cabin I have just fiinished.

I had a black and white quilt with touches of red that I quilted on my DSM before Christmas. I used a red rayon thread for freehand flowers, then went back over them to put black bottomline leaves in between.

The red rayon really showed off the quilting. The black blended into the background being a finer thread.

Lyn

Julie, I recently did one like yours, only yellow and blue.

I stitched a line between the lights and darks logs to separate them, this outline shows up as big diamond like outlines on backing. Then I did feathers on the light logs.

Then on the dark logs I stitched diagonal lines 1" apart going the opposite direction of the logs. This makes a zig zag pattern effect within that diamond shaped area previously outlined. The Zig-Zag and Feather combo looks nice.

I realize this is a clear as mud, Wish I had a digital camera.

Terry

Hi Terry,

I would like to see some echoing feathers on the quilt. I did an opportunity quilt about 6 years ago and thats what I quilted on it. For a group of only 19 members, it brought in about $8,000. Have fun. zeke.................

Well, here's an update. I actually started doing echoing feathers in the white area and swirlies in the dark. After quilting one whole width I looked at it and decided I really liked the swirlies and really hated the feathers.:o SO I stayed up till midnight frogging and this afternoon pulled out the last nasty stitch (I hope). My fingers are sore but I have learned a lesson. I had this nagging feeling I wasn't going to like the feathers once I started them but instead of stopping and considering it for a while I kept going. Next time I will listen to that little voice inside.

Archived