DWRing advice

DWR is one of my favorite patterns. Ten years ago I made a King size black and white one for a favorite nephew. The nice part was, I sent the fabric to a company in New England, and for a small fee, they cut the fabric for me. I can't remember the name of it though. It has been around forever, sells quilt kits of calico and muslin, begins with an H. I have since made three more king size using Shar's template, I really enjoy curves.

Stephanie

Shana:

I'm making a DWR right now for my DH. I got the templates (paper) and instructions from the May/June 2006 Fons and Porter issue. I had trouble understanding the instructions they posted. Then I found a Webshots album where a lady shows step by step putting them together. I tried it and it was much easier than the other way. Here's the link if you are interested:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/550949692XgpXLY

She doesn't have the templates, but this way worked much better for me to put them together.

Shana...I'm just finishing a DWR (not on time, of course:P) for a friend that's getting married this weekend.

I used QuiltSmart's technique and it was, truly, EASY. You get a template that you use for each fabric in the ring, sew them together, sew the fusible interfacing onto the right side, turn them so the fusible side is out and the right side of the fabric is out (they have a really neat tool for that part), fuse them down and then stitch them with an invisible thread and zig-zag stitch (that's where I'm at now). Then sew the blocks together, add the corner pieces and WA-LA -- fast and easy DWR!!

Here's the link to their quilt:

http://www.quiltsmart.com/khxc/index.php?sid=1857lbp593m4p846rr1c471iahvl86j9&app=ccp0&ns=prodsearchp&ccp0--prodsearch--string=double+wedding+ring

Marlene,

It's funny you should ask. I had some of the buttons--I collect them for purses and other projects. When I finished the DWR, the quilting didn't show at all. I needed something to zing it up and thought of the buttons. Then I panicked because the Quilt Expo deadline was coming fast. I shopped from Portland to Salem to find enough different ones to use. My daughters helped me--one in Salem and one in Indiana. We managed to get enough so that not more than three of a color repeat.

Consequently, it has become a wall hanging in my studio. I don't think it's very practical as a bed quilt--ouch! leaning on a buttom, snagging and tearing the quilt, getting hair caught in them, having to take them off to wash it. . .:P

I started this project in Jan 2004--not bad when you're just working on it in spare time. The quilting went fast because I just used a serpentine SID, freehand in the arcs and melons, and I digitized the design in the centers and let the computer do them. Since nothing really shows, I went really fast just to get it done. That was hoot!

I have plans to make another one for another daughter. She chose solid arcs of mint green with black and gray intersections on a white background. Check back with me in another four years for that one. I guess that the quilting on that one will NOT be hurried.:o

Shana-

I have been hired to make quilts many times - I have found that yes there are some who cannot get over the cost involved. However I have made ALOT of money from those who hire me because they really appreciate the work, time, and care that each custom quilt requires. Then they show their friends!!!! I have numerous repeat customers that want another and the free word of mouth advertising can't be beat!!

My advice?

1. Have them buy all your supplies (fabric batting embelishments etc & don't forget thread and needles you may need for any specialized hand work). Explain to them that they have to them deliver all of it to you BEFORE you can begin! This is also the time to recommend a place to make these purchases and WHY you recommend it. I always have the unused thread backing batting etc. in a separate bag when completed to give back to the customer. Tho they have all insisted that I keep it-I keep a record of who gave me what and have used it on their next quilt!! (Most seem to what the same techniques or similar on their next ones)

2. I also try to make their quilt the only thing I work on during what you may call regular business hours. As tempting as it is to continue it is very easy to get tired and bored with a large project and moving on to your own projects keeps that from happening, and it allows your brain a rest.

I say GO FOR IT!!!!

Sewhappy

have made 8 of these and each time i say last this is my last one.

but when they are finally done. it makes it all worth it.

the bride is very happy and so is the family. one of the ones i made

the family signed the arces it came out very nice. good luck to you

and hope all goes well. leave yourself plenty of time to complete it.

Bonnie, I love your DWR. That is the first one I have seen that I have wanted to make for me!! It looks gorgeous up close, but I do see what you mean. It does lose its impact a little when you see the whole thing! However, I am not deterred. I am seriously tempted to make myself one. I suppose it has to join the end of a long list of future projects!! Great colour choices though.

See, Shana, everyone LOVES a DWR. It really is worth the work that goes into one. I have to give credit to my inspiration for the coloring in my quilt. I used to make Freddy Moran quilts using lots of color with some black and white. Then I found a book by Susan Stein, Double Wedding Ring Quilts, coming full circle. She gave lots of ideas that were very non-traditional using backgrounds that were scenery, three dimensional add-ons, etc. It's my nature to go outside the box. Voila!:D

OK. Yes, I have always wanted to make a DWR for myself, and definitely will do that some day. :) But...I do hesitate a little bit with making one for a customer because they absolutely do not have any idea about the level of difficulty and time required to do this accurately with beautiful results. This customer is an acquaintance who lives in Texas and when she called me she really was clueless as to what was involved with this type of project. Of course, she wanted a King size, too, which is a lot of $$ in fabric and batting, not counting the labor time to piece it and then quilt it. I did give her some other options. The wedding isn't until June 2009 so plenty of time to piece and quilt one. :)

But yes, I would love to make one (for me) one day. And sure it will be King size.

Hi Shana. I am the person who Darlene Epp spoke about that just recently quilted the DWR for a client.

It did turn out amazing. I will try to figure out how to send pics to you, by trying to post them here.

I also just today, found a kit by Benartex, that has die-cut pieces all ready to go!!! They also have clipped notches to line up when sewing!!! It comes in 2 choices: white background with bright multi colors ($129 cdn retail) and a really cool black one with batiks ($169 cdn retail).

They are available to order thru Trend-tex. This includes fabric for the front only, and I believe it was queen size? You may need to order 2 kits for a good size king. But I thought for a contract job, it would make your job easier. I am purchasing the black one from a store tomorrow. Let me know, if you want contact info for the store I am ordering from. -Debra

Archived