The Good The Bad and The Ugly

OK just one more... again please don't try this at home... I thought I could use my push pull free motion method to do the diag. cross hatch and as you can see.... I can not!!! This is the best one though I shift and just keep on quilting like no one would notice LOL Myrna Baby I am ready for a base and ruler.... will this happen when I use a ruler and base??? How do you all do diag. cross hatching and make it look good????????? Feel free to share your what not to does, after you have a good pee your pants laugh out loud giggle at my attempt to be traditional LOL:P

post--13461900102237_thumb.jpg

Hey Sue. I've tried many techniques for this and my favorite ruler is either the dainty ditcher or the small 6" ruler from Willow Leaf. You definitely have to put something on the back of the rulers to grip the fabric. I think sandpaper dots work best. I just use a hole punch and clue them on. I just ordered the new Westalee ruler but I'm going to have to send it back as I got so excited about it being available at Quilters Rule that I didn't pay attention that is too long for my Milli. I think I'll just order direct from Westalee since they have the sizes available. I'm hoping that will give me enough length that I won't have to move the ruler.

I've also tried Sharon Schambers technique of using foam and rice bags to create the resistance. It does work but you do have to get used to not being able to just roll that machine along. Try a bunch of things and you'll find the one method that works for you! I'll let you know how the Westalee ruler goes.

Hay Sue,

Thanks for the giggle. I just got out of a staff meeting at work; took a break and logged in here. So, if it makes you feel better, I really like your pebbling. You are right on the mark with those pebbles! :D

I noticed that your blue cross hatch lines are pretty straight. How did you get those blue lines so nice, even, and straight? Did you use....umm...a RULER for that part??? ;)

OK, so a few weeks ago I was PPP-ing and I was doing a small wholecloth that has crosshatching in the center. The xhatch is the background fill that surrounds the central medallion. It was fun and turned out pretty good (yes, I used a RULER!!) :D But, I got myself in a corner in a few places...and had to backtrack over existing lines along the central medallion and along the outer edge along the border.

Backtracking --- Is there a trick to this? Maybe I'm not using the correct technique? Maybe I am??? If we get stuck in a corner, are we supposed to backtrack over previous lines we already stitched (e.g. around the outer edges of the xhatch where there is applique, a medallion or border) or are we supposed to stop, tie off, bury and start a new location?

Thanks in advance for all you xhatch pros out there!

Shana,

From what I understand there is no real rule on backtracking except that it has to be as exact as possible. The trick for me is to not think to hard about it and then I can usually hit it dead on. If it is a long way from where I want to be I always tie off. I'm just careful to make sure that the backtracking is pretty balanced so that the extra thread in some areas won't show much. I haven't heard of any other specific rules. I use the ruler as a gentle guide to keep me on my lines for curved pieces. For straight lines I will line the ruler back up.

OK so earlier the light was on but no one was home LOL .... can I turn the quilt to do the diag. cross hatching.... then I could still cheat and use the chanel locks and the hoping foot and not have to mark the quilt or ever wash it LOL ??? Hmmmm I think I am going to try and figure that out tonight LoL if any one has done this and had it work please let me know. I am thinking I could create false corners and staple I mean pin them to the quilt and canvis then just line up the chanel locks and go for it.... wowowwwwww yes I am going to try it.... if it works I'll let you know....I'll let you know either way, but if someone else has done it like this please let me know how it turned out for you both good and bad ...

Shana, I've seen both methods in classes such as such as Pam Clarke, Linda Taylor, Karen Mc, so it probably depends on how noticeable it is. I prefer to back track rather than tie off. If you can tie off and bury, it's not noticeable. The flamingo quilt it did for MQS was my first attempt at "showing" crosshatching. I tied off and buried every one! Now I'm wiser and will use the other method to follow around the applique, or dead end. Most of my ends didn't show because of the flange around the block, and most were under the fringe around the flamingo.

Good luck,

Hi Sue

Thanks for sharing.

I have tried the on point method. The backing fabric and batting goes on straight as normal but are half as wide again as the width of the top. I think you measure the top and multiply by 1.44 then add the extra that you would normally add (6" top and bottom).

Then I'd lay the top on the backing and batting and pin baste the layers together using the channel locks to make sure it was straight and baste the edges down. Its a bit fiddly, but so is crosshatching in the normal way.

I bought the Westlee ruler last month and have played with it but haven't had a chance to use it on a real quilt yet.

sue in australia

Thanks Sue

does that mean that the backing fabric would be off grain to the top of the quilt?? will that change the way the quilt hangs?? that sound much easier then what I was thinking I'd have to do. I think I will try that on my next one.

Hay how come no one else has posted pics of the bad and ugly yet... you guys can't just leave me hangn here with bad cross hatching LOL:cool: You can't tell me that I'm the only one thats tried something that didn't work, or maybe I'm just the only one crazy enough to share it LOL I'll buy that.

Okay you knew I couldn't sit quite on this one !!! I have had the privlage of being taught by one of the industries best freehand quilters. Someone who can walk up to any machine and show me flawlessly anything I am trying to accomplish. If anyone has watched Sue thread art you know what I mean, Marky Mark even had to put a turbo charger on her machine to keep up. And yes she does 1/4" verticle and horizontal cross hatching free hand Soooo it's nice to see that she is human Ok just between us don't tell her she can't freehand 1/4" cross hatching on the diagonal I want to watch her try !!

Hay Sue

yes I am a free motion freak that believes you can do everything with out the aid of tools however this is really challenging me, the horizontal and verticle ... no problem the machines love to stitch in a straight line back and forth and up and down... but I can't seem to extend my arms even an inch away from my sides and stay right on the diagonal line. I do all my stitch in the ditch free motion but the diagonal lines are no longer then maybe 8 inches so I can stay in the ditch but on flat fabric where I am tring to stitch long even diagonals while stepping to the side and extending my reach... not so pretty... I should take my own advice and just PPP or take everyone elses advice and just learn to use a ruler LOL we'll see I might just use Sue's idea and mount the top on a slant to the diagonal cross hatching quilts out as if it was vertical and horizontal cross hatching which is just sooooo much easier... I am hoping to tackle my new quilt with lots of both types of cross hatching next week so I will let you know how it turns out... and which method works best.:cool: Or maybe I'll just stick to the thread art LOL

Sue,

I love your method for mounting the quilt on the diagonal. I always thought you would have to attach temporary pieces to the backing. If the backing is on the bias, does this create a problem with stretching, tucks, etc. Can you use this method on a larger quilt providing your table is long enough, or does it only work on small quilts and wall hangings? I can not seem to make a straight. long, diagonal line using a ruler. Freehand diagonals are out of the question for me.

This forum is a great classroom. Learn something new everyday.

Sherry

Millie/CQ

Hey Sue,

Check out the crosshatching ruler at www.offtheedgequilting.com. It works for me ;)

You're right, as a former judge, the comment might be something like, "straight lines should be straight":D

In the meantime, don't abandon your current project...maybe do tiny continuous curve in each square or scribble in every other one ala Marilyn Badger to create a checkerboard. You're way to creative to hang it up just yet!

Archived