The Good The Bad and The Ugly

Hi Sue P

You wouldnt have any problems with the backing stretching as you quilt because its loaded on the straight of grain but I'm not sure how it would hang as a wall quilt, the top would be hanging straight and the backing would be on the bias so I think it would cancel itself out.

It drapes well as a bed topper.

Best wishes

Sue in Australia

Hay Dawn

I went to the site... which one would you say will be quickest and easiest to use the 20.5 or the 14.5, can I cross hatch with out marking the quilt first??? You know me I just want to get her done and not have to wash out all those blue lines LOL. I am going to finish the one I started then wash away all the blue and then see how it looks, then I will add designs into all that cross hatching to hide the ooooppsss. LOL wish me luck... it's like a dare or challenge now and I will some how master it or go even crazier tring... actually I am really loving all the new stuff I am learning, a big thanks to everyone helping me out... this whole traditional, not free hand, mark it out and use tools stuff is hard LOL But all the advice you are all sharing is really helping me rap my head around it.... Thanks!!! Oh Dawn as a judge... what's your call on the backing being on the bias??? ;)

Hi Sue,

The ruler length depends on how far you want to stitch without moving. The shorter one works great with Lenni and Liberty systems, and the longer one is good on Freedoms and Millies. However, it can be a bit long if you're trying to use the 60-degree mark to do diamond crosshatch.

You don't have to mark anything other than a horizontal reference line in your case (traditional piecers would use a seam line for reference). It comes with directions on how to use it. It might be a good YouTube topic at a later date!

As a judge, I'd be most concerned that your crosshatching was straight and true than if your backing was on the bias. Just measure the quilt carefully "tip-to-tip" in both directions and make sure the numbers are the same.

Thanks Dawn from what you are saying the longer (quicker) ruler is my tool of choice I will email Mari Lee at off the edge right now !!! No marking.... straight lines.... instructions (that I will have Jon read and tell me about after I try it once or twice LOL) that sound just perfect.... I wonder how much it will cost to over night into Canada from the States.... it might be quicker for me to jump in the car and drive down and pick it up LOL now I can't wait to try it.... hmmmm I wonder where Off the Edge is located.... maybe I can talk Jon into a long week end trip... oh wait this week end is a Canadian long week end.... I know I'm like a kid at Christmas but I just want to get to it !!!!:cool: Wish me luck on the long week end bike trip idea LOL

Oh Merry Jo

you are soooo nice and kind but no it just jumps out and bits you in the butt as soon as you look at the quilt.... I am hoping that some of the oooppsss fade away once the blue is gone but I used yellow thread soooo yahhhhhh the whole peace is a live and learn thing... maybe the thick thread art out lined design will help distract from that or I will use Dawns idea and do what I love and fill in all those little squares with free motion designs:cool: I'll be sure to finish the finished wall hanging... well it might not have binding on it when I do the final pics.... LOL... That would be a whole other issue LOL

• 1 month later...

When I saw the first picture (without my glasses on) it looked like a picture of a spine. Mind you I work in a chiropractic office and they're every where here. I put my glasses on and it turned out to be beautiful hearts on their sides. Glasses aren't strong enough to actually see any cross hatching though. LOVE the hearts!!!

Archived