My Sister's First Time Quilting!!!

Some of you remember my sister, Carla, from MQS last year.

Well, she is a hand quilter and has been for about 18 yrs. now.....and she is an R.N. by trade (part-time). She has been making quilts for people at work for the past 4 yrs. and hand quilting them until this last one. This gal wanted a round tablecloth and she wanted it in squares and brought her a pic of exactly what she wanted and the colors she wanted her to use. So Carla made it and then asked if she could quilt it on my Milli using a panto..so of course I said yes.

This is the Panto she picked....."Falling Leaves" by Diff'rent Strokes. This was her very first time using a quilting machine of any kind or a panto and I believe I have her talked into buying one when she retires from nursing. Girls.....we have another convert......YIIIIIPPPPEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Here are the pictures of the quilt she made and quilted...she just sent me the pictures today....by the way she lives in Maryville, MO.

Yes Heidi I had an apostrophe so I changed it ........Thank you.

Yes all 4 of us girls quilt.........but Carla and I quilt the most and I do it as a business. Carla wants to when she retires from nursing. We meet at my moms every Spring and Fall, next month in fact, and we all 4 girls bring our sewing machines and things we want to work on and from Thurs. night to Sun. night we laugh......play........talk.......watch movies.......shop hop or what ever else we want to do. It is just us girls and we have a ball........:D:D:D.

Originally posted by Renae

Yes Heidi I had an apostrophe so I changed it ........Thank you.

Yes all 4 of us girls quilt

Renae - I figured out one night when I was trying to post and decided to start changing the name of my file and sure enough! Glad it worked for you.

That is so nice that you all quilt and get together! Makes me wish I had a sister! I do get my daughter to stitch a little and my son's gf made a quilt too. Too bad they didn't get the bug bad!

She really did a great job........when she gave it to her customer I guess she liked it so much she showed it to EVERYONE and then brought it back to work the next day to the everyone that didn't get to see it the day before. :D:D

Carla said now she has 4 more quilts to make and they are T-shirt quilts. She seems to make alot of those for her customers. I know one has to be made by Christmas but I don't think the other have to be done till next May. Those she ties.........at least that is what they asked for because of price.

Renae

Renae! Tell your sister "Great Job!" She'll LOVE LA quilting - you get done sooo fast!

My sister in FL is also a quilter, and I'm so impressed, because she's only been quilting since the 1990's. I began in the '60s! She helps to watch over our mom who never shared our "creative talents". (Mom always tells me to go get a real job because only dead artists make any money) She's just so encouraging! LOL She is blind and has a strong touch of dimentia... But then she'll be 88.

When I closed my store, I sent my sister a yard or two of every fabric I carried! It was sooo fun and it reallllllly was a stash builder for her!

Our baby sister is also an RN... someday we'll get her over to the "quilty" side!

Bobbette, our mom tought all 4 of us to sew at a very early age but never was a quilter. Carla is the one that taught me and my sisters to quilt.....and she had taught herself. Her first quilt she still has.....:P:P and it really is a doozy!!! We both laugh at it. But it just shows where we all begin, if we keep our first quilts.

Renae

Thank you girls for all your nice comments and I will pass them on to her. I tell her about the things we talk about on here and she can't believe how we can solve problems and help each other so much and not know each other. I told her it was because of our quilting......she said she understands that but she said when she was in a quild she still didn't feel close to any one enough to ask questions.......it was just to cliky (sp)? .

Have a quilty day, Renae

Hey, I know that guild! Funny, there must be more then one. When people think of quilt guilds I think they get an Aunt Bee kind of picture in their mind. I belong to one guild that is very, very friendly; such nice ladies. The first guild I tried to squeeze into...was very much a clique and I really don't care to go there again. We have a very special group of women here to be able to access them at a moments notice.

Renae, you sis did really great first time quilting on the longarm! :) Renae, I agree with you...truly, I think that this chat board is such a special, special place.

The positive kharma/culture that was created and evolves and continues to grow and get better and more fun all the time. I see so much diversity; so much creativity; so much talent. New people popping in with their questions and advice. We all make this place really safe; really fun.

I am so glad to have this wonderful place in which we all have played a role in creating.

Best of all, lucky, lucky me...Me... I get to be a part of it, too. :):):):):):):) I have learned so much from you all and for this I am eternally grateful. If it were not for this chat place, I would still be in my early stages of learning how to do this quilty stuff. Thanks for all the help along the way.

Shana

(who loves quilts, quilters, and quilters who quilt quilts)

Archived