Newbie Topics

Ok I began my first Quilt Top last night. Scrap pieced top that wasn't perferctly square but loaded well. I am doing it freehand to get used to the machine movement.

Some discoveries:

1. Rattle in bobbin, some heavy vibration if I move to fast like going up or making big swoops. I cleaned out the bobbin area and some improvement. Began again not long after I began quilting again.

2. I can feel some drag I believe is due to the heavy chord. Not sure what we will do about that. Looking at overhead wiring system that my husband will design.

3. Seems the holes appear big but very few signs of top thread on bottom. Being that you can see deep into the holes my guess is that this will disappear with a wash. Comments welcomed.

4. I did much better if I moved from right to left and the stiches are better but the noise seems to be louder when going left or swooping the the upward left direction? Difficult to explain.

5. I floated this top and found it much easier but it doesn't seem perfectly square although it probly isn't pieced perfectly. I just need practice.

6. Not sure if I am putting it too tight on the roller yet. I have it with a little give when you rest your hand flat on it without pressure. A training class will clear me up on this I'm sure.

7. Still working on tension but its better.

8. I'm in desperate need of a better lighting system and my husband is looking at how to approach it in a very odd room with two level ceilings.

9. New to working with larger tops and squaring up is very difficult in a small space. Looking to purchase a fold away cutting table maybe from Horn to go with other sewing furniture. I find this so difficult.

Sorry so long but I really appreciate the suggestions. Any photos of storage solutions, lighting solutions, overhead wiring would be greatly appreciated.;):o:mad::(

Hi, Grammie...I'm a newbie, too, but I did experience a rattlie noise when I was first practicing. After lots of reading on this site, I saw somewhere that it's good practice to clean the bobbin area with each change of bobbin, including the bobbin case (it tends to collect scads of lint & cleaning it with each bobbin change will minimize those types of tension issues), plus put a little drop of oil on the raceway in the bobbin case. Also, I've noticed that the prewound bobbins seem to be more clattery when they get closer to the end, whereas I did not notice that noise when using a regular metal bobbin. I tried the prewounds with their sides on as well as tearing their sides off; either way, they made more noise when the thread was nearing the end.

Hope this helps on one of your issues. Also, the better we get to know our machines & how to load tops, etc., then we'll better at turning out those square tops, slowing down in the points & curves, and just having a prettier quilt, in general. JMHO

Pat

AZ:cool:

APQS Mille

Grammie.

are you using a metal bobbin? "Some" rattle is normal not hugh amounts

Vibration and drag ~ make sure you have all your wheels adjusted properly. Work on one set at a time. If its hard to move back and forward adjust you machine wheels. Side to side adjust your carriage wheels.

Drag on the cord ~ an overhead wiring system helps with that. Something else that seems the help is to drape the cord over the top of the machine, Why ??

big holes . The holes will go away. I use a 3.5 needle, a 4 will leave larger holes. Depending on the fabric and the batting the hole may seem to show more. They close up when you take your quilt off the leaders.

Sounds like you have good tension on your quilt. You don't want it too tight.

A lighting system over your machine is great. I have the overhead wiring system from APQS and have lights mounted to that. It's AWESOME

Horn has a lot of really cool tables. I love the hydrolic sewing table. Wish I had one:( You can also use your machine table by getting your fabric folded square, draping it over your rollers and having one end of your fabric laying on the back of your table Just put your cutting mat on the machine table and trim. Flip the other end of your fabric over to the table and trim that side. You are ready to go. The table makes a great light box as well.

You are correct, you are ready for a training class. This would clear up a lot of your questions and get you going with comfidence.

And ask questions we are a friendly and helpful bunch here.

Myrna

#2. I'm assuming you have the heavy curly cord. APQS also has a nice lightweight straight cord which is way better. My first machine came with the curly cord and was forever catching on the carriage, etc. I replaced it with the straight cord, and I don't even know I have a cord any more. It never catches or pulls.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mryna

I believe I will order the 3.5 needles. I like the 11 to 13 " in stitch regulated mode when doing freehand. I do not like the big holes too much. Also I am not crazy about the metal bobbins. I think APQS should rethink these. My husband drilled a tiny hole in one of mine to give this a try ( So I can put thread through and hold for grip). Difficult to get the Thread to grip. Would be nice if the interior spool on bobbin had some grip to it kinda like my bernina bobbins. I am going to try a fine sand paper that you buy for your sanders that has adhesive and put a tiny strip around the spool for grip and see how it does. The bobbins that Get wound are not taught from the start and your changing bobbins long before your out of thread. No matter what I am in Love with my machine. I am having the time of my life. I hope my criticism is constructive and thoughtful. Thanks again. Can't wait to show some photos of my quilts real soon. PS. I hope everyone was blessed with a Wonderful Thanksgiving.

I might be talking about something different but if you're talking about holes in the sides of the bobbin, I have two different ones. One has several (5 or 6) holes around the side of the bobbin and one has more of a solid bobbin with a little slit in it where I can put the thread through and hold it taught while winding the bobbin.

APQS may have changed the bobbins they use as I got my Millennium over a year ago but some of my bobbins are 5 or 6 years old.

You might try Kings Men Quilting Supply to see what kind of bobbins they carry. That's probably where I got most of the ones I use.

If this isn't even what you're talking about . . sorry.

Hi Grammie

I noticed you mentioned that the bobbin tension is not tight.

You can adjust the tension on your bobbin but its a different procedure if you have a separate bobbin winder to a built on bobbin winder. give the factory a ring on Monday and tell them what you have and they will explain how to make tighter tension when winding bobbins.

Sue in Australia

PS / The bobbins that come with the machines (in the last year) are aluminium not metal) when you order make sure you order the same as you have already

Grammie ,

APQS has a new bobbin that looks like aluminum (lighter silver colored) and is getting mixed reviews from users. It seems to be lighter weight than the older style of metal bobbins we are all used to. It has no holes on the side and you have to wind the thread around the center 5-6 times to start winding them. Kingsmen sells the older style with holes on the side that you place the thread through to start winding. I belive that they are about 50 cents each

Sounds like you are on the right track - persistence, practice and patience is all it takes!!

Good luck

Susie Q

Grammie,

Isn't this site great!?!?!?!? I love all of the help we can all get here, thanks to everyone! Last week I had a lot of vibration when going from right to left on quilt tops; my husband checked the bolts on the legs of the Millie table and several of them were loose, he tighten them up and no more vibration! As for the tension on the loaded quilt I had read somewhere that if you put a finger up from the underside and you can grip the tip of it with your other fingers and thumb then your tension is okay, you really don't want it too tight, that can cause many problems. I use the metal bobbins from APQS about the only time they rattle is when they are becoming low on thread. If they rattle at other times I use a needle nose plier to pull up and out on the tips of the blue thing that is in the bobbin case. They just need to be tweaked every once in a while. Whenever I change to a new bobbin I do use the airhose on the bobbin case to clean out the lint. Whenever I am done whith a quilt I use the airhose on the needle and bobbin area and spray WD40 in the bobbin case area (the actual case is not in there at that time). I then let the machine run for about 5 minutes, turn it off and then whip out the area that I sprayed. It seems to make it run more smoothly. I hope these tips will help.

What I have learned from this site is that each machine seems to operate a littte differently and that with use and practice we all learn what thier personalities are.

Take care,

Ramona

Another thing to take into consideration if there is rattling and tension problems is to check to make sure your bobbin is wound properly. Last week I had to readjust my tension guide on my bobbin winder because the bobbin was winding uneven. All it took was a quick adjustment that is mentioned in the instructions that came with the bobbin winder. It now works better than ever.

I also have a Bernina for my DSM and the bobbins are also the "L" bobbins just like the ones that are used in the APQS machines. When I first got my Liberty a few months back I had to wait for my bobbin winder to be delivered so I was winding bobbins on my Bernina to use in my Liberty...I also tried using my Bernina bobbins because I too prefer the extra grip in the bobbin that Bernina bobbins offer and they work great.

I do wish that the APQS bobbin case had the latch that holds onto the bobbin like the Bernina cases do..makes it easier to do the tension test without the bobbin falling out of the case. Just a thought for improvements in the future.

Joann

Grammie,

#4 I've noticed a stuttering noise when quilting from right to left. Then I read that the machine prefers to quilt left to right (from front of machine). You might want to try that.

I agree with the comments on the lint. But it is not just a problem when it is in you bobbin path....it seems to gather thread bits and then they get wrapped around the carriage wheels and track wheels which causes the machine to drag vice glide. I wipe the whole machine, including all wheels, down once a week to keep that lint and thread uner control.

It sounds like you are learning your way around your new machine. This site helps so much with ideas. There is a lot of experience here.

Have fun.

I clean my machine after every quilt, and my area, it keeps the thread,lint, etc under control. And I oil at the start of everyday, the bobbin area and the wicks. All except the side wicks, about once a week seems to do it, otherwise I drip oil.

I have a power /surge protector strip taped to the underside on the back and my cord plugs in there, so there is no drag. I just did not want to mess with overhead. I also have strip on the floor that the cord runs thru and them my anti fatigue matts, so I don't trip on the cord going into the wall. I am a clutz sometimes so I need to be barrier free.

Totally new...............

Rattling noise coming from the upper back of the machine head ?? when speed set at 7 + which isn't very fast.

Doesn't seem to matter which direction I go in.

Have oiled & cleaned everything I know about.

Everything in level...

This is my first quilt .......... this is soo much fun.......

everything was going great for about an hour then it got noisy and it isn't coming from the front of the machine???

arlene f

Freedom

Check to make sure all your screws are tight. Sometimes if they aren't snug to start out, after you have quilted for a little while they work loose and rattle. You can move your machine off the quilt take the bobbin out and unthread the machine, go around to the back and turn it on as if quilting, moving it around to pin point the source of the noise.

Myrna

The cover over the motor sometimes will slide down and rest on the rear cover (with the meter) this can cause a real racket. You can isolate this noise by putting your hand on the on the cover (with the machine just sitting and running) the noise will stop or change. Loosen the screws (3 on each side) and move the cover up until it no longer vibrates against the rear cover. This is not an uncommon issue.

Good Luck,

John

Archived