Need advice about needles

I really need some feedback about needles. What are some of the brands you use & why are you happy with them? Need advice on regular needles vs titanium needles. I am not happy with the ones I have been using & want to try some other brands. Appreciate all help.....

Saundra

Hi Saundra

My personal thoughts on titanium needles is "JUST SAY NO" I would stick with the needles you can order from APQS, your machine is guaged to work perfectly with then and the cost is not high, if you are looking to try something new then play with the next size larger and the next size smaller then you are using now. But remember if it's not broke... don't fix it:cool:

Hi Saundra:

Word to the wise: A friend of mine (who owns a different brand of longarm) suggested I try the Gros-Beckert titanium needles because they last much longer. They're a bit more expensive that the ones recommended by apqs but I gave it a shot. When I started having trouble and called Amy (apqs tech par excellence) she educated me that those needles are a tiny bit shorter than the standard ones so they can affect your stitch quality. I switched back to the 'Singer' brand that came w/the machine. Looking forward to hearing what others think.

Hi

I always use the Singer needles in the yellow packet that came with my machine, always the MR4 and I have no problems and great stitch quality. Mike Moore who designed our machines says they are precisely the right length and profile for our hook assembly, they are even cheaper than Titannium, so I follow his instructions.

Sue in Australia

I use both the yellow package and the GB (titanium). But here's the rub, you need to educate yourself a bit about the GB. The letters on the package have meanings that will effect you. The R's are sharp and the FFG (I think it is) are slightly ball pointed. I switched to the GB when I was doing a quilt that had thick applique and it kept breaking the Singer needles. Once I switched to the GB not one more lick of trouble.

I think there is a time and place for them both, you just have to figure out what works best for you.

Archived