Extended Bases

Yet another lurker coming out of the woodwork! I am a new APQS owner and hope to get my machine set up over the weekend. I am thinking about ordering an extended base and have read comments about bases on the forum and wonder if anyone has tried the see through base that is sold by Off The Edge Quilting (http://store.offtheedgequilting.com/baseplates.html?) I would add a live link if I could work out how to do that! The one sold by Donita Reeve seems to be quite popular and that is also a consideration.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Sue

Sue,

I, too, am thinking that a base would be a good investment for rulerwork. There has been past "discussion" about the Hartley Base and the clear base offered by Off The Edge. I know that the Hartley slips onto the machine (and off) pretty easily and the other has to be attached. Ladies, who own either, correct me if I'm wrong. Another base would attach around the Hartley, that would create a bigger surface for ruler work.

For me, I would like something that is fairly simple to put on and take off.

Mary Beth, My Hartley base was sliding off also. I got this info somewhere on this forum but I don't know who to give the credit to.

Get some of the rubber grip shelving liner, they also use it as place mats and cut it and stick it in between the

machine and the arms of the base. It really helps keep it in place and for cheap. I found the rubber grip stuff at

the Dollar Tree but I bet they would have it a Walmart or any place like that.

I sure hope you figure out what I am talking about, I'm not all that great at describing stuff.

Michele

I use 2 different extended bases. The hartley for when i need to do some ruler work but not alot. it's convenient to slip on and off when quilting. When I have alot of ruler work I use the RulerMate from lovetoquilt.com You can leave the RulerMate on all the time but when I do pantos I prefer to remove it.

Hi Kids,

I have an extended base from "Ilovetoquilt.com". It's all metal and it fits perfectly on my Ultimate I and on my Ultimate II. That's right, you heard me right, on the Ultimate II. Since my UI is computerized I have been leaving the extended base on the UII and I'm OK with that, because I do all my SID work on the UII. Regards, zeke..........

I started out with the RulerMate when I purchased my machine two years ago. I guess I got an older design because mine was really cumbersome to attach. I had to take the original plate off and then screw on the RulerMate and add another washer to boot. Since then I have seen other RulerMates that just slip on and have clamps underneath. I now have the Hartley extended base and love it. I got mine from Myrna. It just slips on and off with ease. It has a slot that fits right around the original plate that holds it in place and no slippage at all. I am very satisfied. Too bad I spent the $$$ on the other one that I never use now.

• 2 weeks later...

Sue,

We have a RulerMate from Donita Reeves and my wife loves it. I was concerned that the weight would affect the handling, but it works great. It is left on all the time and just sits below the fabric, so there is no drag. The Hartley base is wobbly and drags under the fabric. I would be willing to sell it with the 2 rulers for half price.

Lynda....put the other one up for sale....there are those out there that are looking for your RulerMate to fit the Millie....I'm sorry you didn't like it, but we each have to get along with our toys and if it didn't work it didn't work.

Personally I won't sell my RulerMate for anything...I put it on almost 4 years ago, and it NEVER comes off (other than when I clean the machine), I'm not really sure when the original cover plate is now... I didn't know she had changed her design...I recently had a friend buy one, and she had to take off her plate to attach, but she too leaves it on 24/7. Will have to go back to check out her web to see if the new one looks like the older ones.

Okay I just peeked at Donita's site...the one that clamps on is only for the NOLTING machines....all the APQS fitted ones are as before take your plate and screw on hers....

Archived