Quilt Shopping to Memphis!!!

Next Wednesday I will be heading for Memphis w/ DH. He is having his 45th High School Reunion, and he said we could go Quilt Shopping!!!! YIPPPPEEEEE!! Anyone have any specific Shops that are worth stopping at??? I am stopping in Springfield, MO on Wed. night so I am going to shop at one Quilt Shop there (my sisters favorite) and from there I don't know. I will be going by or through White Plains and into Arkansa and into Memphis that way if that helps anyone.

So give me some shop names and towns girls I don't have to be in Memphis till Fri. night.

Renae

Renae:

Don't know if you are into art quilts but one of my favorite quilters, Pam RuBert is having a show at the Creamery Arts Center in Springfield all this month. We'll be traveling the northern part of MO but if I were passing through Springfield, I'd make a quick stop to see this woman's whimsical, humorous quilts in person.

OK Renae

There are several quilt shops. Carthage has several if you are coming down 71 to 44, right off Hwy. Republic on hwy 174 has several west of Springfield. Merrily We Quilt around on E Sunshine near Hwy 65. Rogersville has one on right, right after light you will see the signs. There is another past Seymour see signs. West Plains (Home of Gammil)is where you go to get to Memphis. Has nice little towns to shop or brownse. I am not sure about ARK but there is a dry goods place down there called Marshels, very reasonable prices in bolts. I think its in Mountain Home or near there. Email me privately and I will get addresses down better.

Mary Beth,

The Creamery Arts Center is near the square, on Sherman St. between Chestnut Expwy & E. Trafficway. Ozark Piecemaker's Quilt Guild is having their (every other year) show Sept. 18-20th at the Springfield Expo Center 635 E. St. Louis St. Springfield MO. You can check it out at www.ozarkpiecemakers.com

Thanks girls.......this is great! I am certainly going to be spending some time in Springfield and I will let you know about the Creamery Art Center Mary Beth.......:D

Love bugs, Sylvia??? Come on don't leave me in suspence. What are they????:o

It is kind of cool to go quilt shopping w/DH because I just tell him where to go, (so to speak...:D) and he does all the drivingl. If I happen to miss a quilt sign he just says and quote, "hey, there's another quilt shop" and pulls in. Isn't he the best???;);):D:D He's a keeper!!

Renae

Renae,

I was just like you... I didn't know what those southerners refer to as "love bugs" so I Goggled it and this is what I found: (copied and pasted from web site)

Bring lots of windshield wiper fluid.

The southern states are home to all sorts of pesky creatures, cockroaches, ants, and general insectoid and buggy critters. But there is one in particular that causes southern drivers to curse, rant, and commit mass murder: the dreaded love bug!

Twice a year, in May and September, the love bugs take to skies in swarms to meet, greet, fornicate, and perpetuate their pesky lineage. Small flies with black bodies and wings and an orange spot just behind the head, the scientific name is Plecia Nearctica. In south Alabama, they are simply known as the #@%& love bugs, so called because when they emerge in flight, you rarely see one without another attached in tandem to the backside. While one is always flying forward, the other is a helpless hanger-on doomed to see the world in backward motion and pray the one in charge knows what it is doing.

The reason southern drivers despise these bugs is not because they bite, sting or crawl into orifices like some of our pest imports from Central America. Love bugs travel in pairs, fly low, and are slow moving due to the extra passenger in the back. Windshields, car bumpers, front grills, and every other exposed part of a moving vehicle are soon coated in a lovely science experiment display of carcasses. And love bug innards ain’t easy to get rid of!

post--13461900389732_thumb.jpg

Yes they fornicate in public and because they are so intent on fornification they end up murdered on someone's windshield. We get them every year but especially after a storm. There are millions of them and now you know why. Luckily their life span is only a few days but boy, do they take advantage of those few days! (The fun part was trying to explain it to young children). And, yes they do go by another name here in MS but we are all ladies and gents here!

Archived