I went to a quilt show.

Hi:

I went to a quilt show today and for some reason left feeling totally confused. I did see a few very pretty quilts.. a Judges choice that only took honorable mention.. never did find the best of show.. only a handful of blue ribbons.. Loads of honorable mentions, some beauty's that were extremely well pieced and beautiful machine quilting, without even honorable mention.. I don't know what the judges were looking for or at.. I even asked questions and one of the Quilt Police said none of them understood either.

Wish I knew if they are the same judges who are to judge the show we are going to next weekend. Hate to think what it will be like.

Guess there are all kinds of quilt shows and all kinds of judges.. keeps the world going around.

RitaR

For four years I entered many quilts in the machine quilting shows, and admittedly I did it not because I thought my pieces were show quality--I just wanted a professional opinion of how I could improve. And you know, I learned a lot. However, I'm getting the feeling that judging quilts is purely subjective, depending on the judges taste.

That's not to say it's wrong, but I shake my head a lot too. I'm just glad I don't have to do the judging.

BTW, this forum is the better place to get professional opinions!!:cool: and it's free:D:D:D:P:P

Rita

the blue ribbons that you did see. Were they on qullts that were machine or hand quilted and how dense was the quilting whether it was hand or machine. I have noticed lately that if a quilt is not quilted to death almost to the point of being flat and stiff it doesn't get the blue ribbons. Just my observation of late. Jeanne

I remember years ago, I made a piece of original design Hardanger and submitted to the MN State Fair. They displayed it upside down...the wrong side was showing. Now you want Hardanger to look good on both sides...but that was ridiculous. Then the comment was that I didn't use good fabric...I used Hardanger fabric imported from Germany!

I asked later who judged these events...not that I should win, but that they didn't seem to know too much about what they were judging. Members of the needlework guild were the judges, and they weren't experts in the area they were judging, just members of the guild.

You never know what will hit someone.

Our guild holds the largest quilt show in Arizona each January. There are always over 300 quilts on display. In past years, votes from viewers determined which quilts would win the ribbons but for the past three years we have brought in professional, certified quilt judges to review the quilts and award the ribbons. I have volunteered at the judging all three years. The environment is formal and serious and I find the process fascinating. Certified by NQA or AQS, professional judges rate the quilts by category for workmanship and design. The quiltmakers remain anonymous and each receives written comments from the judges after the show. These experienced judges offer specific and carefully considered remarks on where the quilter can improve his or her skills as well as praise for each quilt's special qualities. I have learned a great deal from the judges' comments about my quilts and have become a better quilter because of the show experience.

Judging IS a bit subjective and sometimes we disagree with the results but I believe it is a job that should only be done by those who have taken the time and done the work to become certified. If you ever get the chance, volunteer to work a professionally judged show. There is much to be learned behind the scenes.

Oh Mrs. A.. you said a lot! And it's true.. volunteer, then take the classes to become a "certified" judge..

the quilts I saw with blue and without blue.. were all but one machine quilted.. only saw one done by hand.. and the density of quilting varied.. one without a ribbon was quilted without more than 1/2 inch having stitching.. I wondered how many weeks/months it took her to do it..

I do have to say though, that the quilter, (and I do know her), left dozens of long threads hanging on quilts she did for others.. some 4 to 6"long. They weren't hard to see. I don't think that was fair, or right in any way, even if the quilt wasn't intended to be entered in a show. She should have clipped as she went or t&t'd them.. She did not piece that quilt, either. And has a la business.

I didn't realize quilt shows this large, over 200 quilts entered, or any quilt show would even consider not hiring a judge.. As small as our guild is, only about 30-32 members, even we hire a judge.

If I didn't have the training by helping in several shows with a certified judge, or hold the certificate I'd not consider judging for a show.

I think those with more experience, (I've only entered one fair and one show), would have a much better idea of what to look for than I, but I'd hope they would have at least assisted several times, prior to judging.

RitaR

Originally posted by Mrs.A

....If you ever get the chance, volunteer to work a professionally judged show. There is much to be learned behind the scenes.

I agree with this! I volunteered to assist the judges in the room holding quilts, acting as a scribe and taking notes. I did exactly this and learned so much by the judging process and why some quilts that look like they should have gotten a ribbon did not.

Sometimes it's something as simple as the owner of the quilt did not enter the quilt in the correct category so it was disqualified for that reason alone.

Sometimes it's stiff competition in a specific category between quite a few quilts and the judges have to pick the sparkliest diamond among a bucket of sparkly diamonds (very difficult to pick!) Sometimes that sparkliest diamond is picked because it is singled out for one specific reason over the other sparkly diamonds. In these situations, the judges have a difficult time because all of those diamonds are so sparkly. :)

Sometimes that quilt would have won a ribbon except for a small detail like the binding in one corner had an issue or the border was not square or a little wavy. Simple things like this could be a ribbon yes or no.

If you get a chance to volunteeer to be a scribe or help the judges in the judging room, do it. The things you learn are priceless. Just remember this type of work, it's a long day or set of days...but it's worth it.

Definitely volunteer for a a show that has the certified judges. Sometimes the smaller shows or state fairs have volunteer judges who may not have much experience and it's not the same capacity for judging.

OK, and I think the most important thing I learned by volunteering in the judging room was not to be afraid to put a quilt in show to be judged. Now that I've seen this for my own eyes, I actually have a different frame of mind about getting my quilt judged now. I remember hearing people say "oh I could never get my quilt judged because I can't bear to read the bad things the judges might say and how they picked apart my quilt"

Well, I will tell you that they don't pick apart your quilt. They don't have time to get out the magnifying glass and pick it apart. And why would they do that anyway? The judges are there to "promote the art of quiltmaking" and 99% of the time the judges are quilters, too. Why in the world would a fellow quilter (a judge) want to intentionally pick apart and destroy the morale of the person entering a quilt to be judged? It's completely the opposite. They are giving constructive feedback for improvement so the next time a quilt is entered, the quilter may have worked to improve the skill and the next quilt will be better. This really is promoting the art of quiltmaking.

I really appreciate all these comments. I am in charge of organizing a show for my little arts group, so I have to pick people to be the judges, and give them tips on what to look for. As far as I know, there is not a certified judge in all of Polynesia, and the cost of bringing even one of them in would exceed the show's entire budget, so out here we are kind of making it up as we go along. I file these comments away for next year, and hopefully we'll get better each time. In the end, though, I think most judging is subjective, as Ferret's experience so aptly shows.

Catherine, I think there may be one or 2 judges that would be willing to spend their vacation in Hawaii just for the cost of lodging for a day or so to spend an afternoon being a judge. Just my humble opinion. If I were a certified judge, I'd be first in line!!! Have my bags packed in less time that it would take to go online and buy the ticket!! And I wouldn't forget my sunglasses!:cool:

Seriously, this is a very good topic. Thanks for all who posted.

Catherine:

I used to live on the Big Island so I know how limited the quilting community is out there. You can get some good information on what it takes to be a judge by looking at the curriculum of the certification programs at NQA and AQS. In such a small 'universe' of quilters, it will be difficult but try to keep the quilters as anonymous as possible (we use painters tape to cover over any labels) during the judging. And if you like, I can send you a copy of the form our judges use to score each quilt. Just send me a U2U or an email. I'd be happy to help in any way that I can. Nancy Arseneault now of Tucson AZ

Archived