How would you quilt this Lover's Knot?( now has picture)

I just got this quilt in this morning and the only think my customer knew about how she wanted the quilt to be quilted is that she wanted each of the Knots done as a group. either a feathered wreath or ???? This is a quilt for her daughters wedding quilt (got married last year) and she said that she wanted it custom. It took her a year to piece this and isn't in a hurry for it - She also wants just a small vine and leaf in the yellow sashings. I'm picking all of your brains and she also was enthused to know that I could get some great input from this group. So - don't feel any pressure, but what would you do?:cool:

Whoops I forgot the picture. Here it is

2568775290094956607S500x500Q85.jpg

Thank for the suggestions.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, I agree...that one was a bit over the top as far as I was concerned as well, but where she wanted custom....well, I was just trying to help you decide that you needed to talk her out of it, and go for just plain ol' simple...SID and background fill.

I think she needed to take out 2 loans for the thread on that quilt...there was a ton of it...;)

Hi Patty Jo,

Perhaps you could take the larger designs and break them smaller to do the feathered wreaths. The interior blocks that look like a grid could have a wreath placed there to fill the block of four. The adjacent areas could then have a partial wreath or feathered swag placed in all four of the L-shaped areas. That would fill all the big squares and then you could finish with your leafy/vine idea around in the sashing. You would only need to design one swag and one wreath to transfer the design to the top. I will send you an email with a thought on how to do this.

Very pretty quilt top!! Can't wait to see a finished photo!

I charge per bobbin and have a set price per bobbin based on the type of thread. To get the price, I determined the price per yard of each type of thread, based on the retail price, then I detemined the number of yards in the bobbin for each type of thread. I have a spreadsheet at home with this information and let it do the calculations. If anyone is interested, I can post it online when I get home today.

Debbi

I am no expert - but I would centre a "wreath" or circular design where each set of four blocks meet. So I gues;)s that is the centre of each "knot". Then I would repeat that same design, but only use 3/4's of it, centred on each of the outside corners of that central "square". If I could work out how to draw on a photo I would as I am not at all sure that I have explained it very well. :o

If your custopmer is keen on a leaf/vine design, then I would maybe do a wreath of leaves, to combine the circle with the leaf design.;)

Deb honey, you have a hell of alot more patience that I do. You unwound bobbins and measured them while watching t.v.

Now why didn't I think of having my hubby do that?

His hands have to be constantly fidgiting with something while watching t.v.

Yes, PLZ post the helpful hints Linda/Deb!!!

And Bonnie dear, that quilt is DROP DEAD GEORGOUS! I LOVE THOSE HEAVILY QUILTED BACKGROUNDS!

**I too would do a simple meander to pop up those knots**

As for charging a thread chg..I have a flat $5.00 for 1-5 bobbins used, flat $10.00 for 6-10.. rarely go over that but it would go up to $15. if I go over. I have had quilts that I have used 24 different colors on, which means I probably had at least 44 changes, I have no problem charging like $15 even though it may be a small wallhanging.. I just explain that a lot of LA's charge $3. per color change over 2 colors..so $15. is a deal.. I wind all my own bobbins and I only use Bottom Line. If a customer requests a top thread in the bobbin, I make it clear there will be an addt'l chg on top of the regular thread chg. I have never had anyone say one thing about the thread charge. :) Calculating how much thread is on a bobbin would cost me more in time than than I would recoup. I have 40 quilts waiting to get done right now, I'm doing good to keep track of how many bobbins I use while I'm quilting...Spreadsheets make me stutter:o

Archived