Sewing and Quilt spaces

Grammie

Well many of you have heard me mention a New Quilt shop and New Studio. I haven't given up on the Shop but did choose not to purchase the building I was looking at a few months ago. It had some Rita Damage that someone forgot to mention. All things work out for a reason.

Since then my husband and I have purchased a larger home in the Country that will need some updating but it a great house with a huge Yard (6 acres) and lots of peace and quiet. My Quiting space will be 15 foot by 48' and there is room to grow if I chose. I know many of us are trying to quilt in smaller spaces and I am very excited about having this space. We begin painting in a few weeks and getting new flooring put in. One Complete wall in the room is Windows and that will eliminate some wall space but I have about 35 ft of wall space on one side. If any of you have any suggestions on how I can make this a productive space let me know. I've never had to put a space like this together and I want to do it right. Also where can I get the Large TABLE CUTTING mats. My husband is buiding me a huge Table which will really help when drawing out Trapunto designs and Squaring my backs. Any Furniture or Space saver ideas and suppliers are most welcome as I want to make good choices on what I put in this space. We wont' move until my Space is ready for WORK.

Grammie

Sorry so long. I'm rambling again. lolol

Just sharing this with you as you always help keep me out when I need it.

Guest Linda S

Grammie - sounds like a fabulous place to design. Large mats may be purchased from Quilter's Rule -- I have two that I put over my two 3' x 6' tables and now I have a 6' x '6 cutting/design surface. I don't know if you have an Ikea near you, but they have some wonderful cabinet units that you can configure with shelves, drawers, pull-out bins, etc.

Linda

The place for storage/organization solutions is IKEA. If you don't have one near you, check the internet. It's a fabulous store. The things in it are of Swedish design (I'm told) and of course, Mr. Ikea is one of the richest men in the world. Must be why the store is so good. I went to the one in Minneapolis today at it's awesome!!!

How wonderful!! Sounds like a dream studio.

I built a new house about 2 years ago specifically for my longarm. I have a "L" shaped area that is about 1000 sq feet in my walkout basement. Mille sits facing large picture windows to the south and I can look out windows to the east and west. There is plenty of room to spread out quilts, batting etc. The space is wonderful. Right now, I have several 6 ft resin tables put together, but would like to eventually get some kind of table that can be moved around and with storage space built in underneath the table.

Have you look at QuiltUniversity.com? There is a class on designing a quilt studio. I know nothing about this class, but I've taken several of their classes online and really learned a lot.

Good luck with your new space.

Debbi

Grammie,

What fun!

My sewing space has a great work table made with kitchen base cabinets lined up back to back. One side has 3 cabinets with drawers and the other side has 2 cabinets each with a drawer and a cupboard. In the middle of that side I left a space in case I ever want to pull a stool up to the table.

Make sure that the height of any work table you build suits you. That is the most important part of the design.

My table is not movable, not easily anyway, and that might be important to you. One change I would make is to round the corners of the table top, which is formica. I have to be careful with my corners as they are square and on the sharp side.

I love IKEA stuff and have many storage units from them, but check out kitchen cabinets as a more durable base for your table or tables. You don't have to spend a lot of money to get good ones.

Linda/9patch

Tammie -

You will be so happy in your new space! Good for you - sounds like a great

place too!

I am in my house right now, and hope to build a studio soon. My cutting

table is something that I designed and had a local carpenter build for me.

I have 2 sides that either fold down (photo has 1 up & 1 down)

and out of the way, or when they are up I have a full 4' by 8' table. I also

had him put dowels and build the drawers deep enough for thread. There

is a removable shelf behind the doors. This is on wheels and is my Kitchen

island when I am not using it for a cutting table.

When I do get it in a studio, I will install better legs on the corners and be

able to mount a roll of batting at each end. Then this could be just brought

up and around to measure and cut. Cool huh? I do have the 4' x 8' cutting

mat by Quiltersrule - I could store bolts of backing fabric in this, but right

now it is holding a bunch of my fabric stash. I need a better way to sort -

fold - and store that!

Please post photos after you get all set-up, would love to see what you do!

I had my studio built last year and bought a sewing cabinet and craft/cutting table from Horn, both on wheels. I put in a couple of inexpensive closet type things from Lowes and have had my builder keep his eye out for kitchen cabinets that were being replaced. As it turns out, we decided to replace our kitchen cabinets and yesterday they removed them from the kitchen so DH & I put them in the studio. I still need to paint them and decide on a configuration. They will go on the back wall behind Mille. It's so exciting.

Holly

In a previous kitchen I was terribly short of space (it was an Eichler, which will mean a lot to those on the West Coast). When we remodeled, I had no room to re-arrange the cabinets but my kitchen designer helped me gain more counter space. We installed a lift-up shelf that was hinged to the side of one cabinet at the end. The bracket/hinge they used was VERY sturdy and inconspicuous. It was easy to lift the end up and pop the bracket so it stayed up. I don't think I'm explaining this simple thing very well. But it was terrific. The resulting counter was very sturdy and strong. Mine was plywood with a Corian top but it could have been anything. It was not expensive either. I liked the fact that it didn't require a leg of any kind going down to the floor, so it was always easy to walk around. Mine, when up, covered a doorway into the dining room. We removed the swinging door that used to be there to make room. Eventually that's what I'm going to do when I get my final cutting table. I intend to buy two tall kitchen cabinets from IKEA and have DH install wheels under them after joining them together, and then add pull-up counters. I hope this makes sense. We're on a tight buget and I have a small bedroom that is sometimes a second guestroom. Gone are the days of my huge workroom.....

• 5 months later...

Don't sell yourself short - many of us are out in the garage in - in the basement - in the barn. I am in a very large garage, no central heat or a/c, the lightening is terrible, but the spirit is bright. Life is a journey, and someday I hope to improve my quarters. Till then, I plan to read the comments and get valuable tips from others that have made the move to a studio with all the bells and whistles!

I am in a converted bedroom that doesn't have much space to move around. Thankful to have wheels on my Liberty.

I love to hear about peoples studios and room. Its great to hear about all their bells and whistles also.

Grammie -

Your new space sounds wonderful. Your post has generated alot of input on cutting surfaces too. PLEASE post a picture when its all done.

Judi -

I LOVE YOUR THREAD DRAWER. I want one of those!!!

Mryna's idea on the cabinets is a great one. She always has good ideas:cool:, so check it out. I think I will check that out myself!!! ::)

My husband was on a motorcycle trip with his friends when my sister, daughter and I took over the master bedroom for the machine. My living room is 22 X 24 and perfect for spreading out and trimming in the floor. I have a 36" X 60" cutting mat glued to plywood that fits on the kitchen bar (and is there all the time except when we host a big dinner) and my kitchen table has an extra piece of plywood cut and sitting on 5" styrofoam blocks for pressing surface, didnt want to mess up the finish on my kitchen table. The whole house is basically "My Quilting Space" and my husband plays in the garage. Just the 2 of us here now so I'm not putting anybody out really. Have to tidy up when grandkids come over though.

My quilting/sewing area used to be my living room and dining room. My stash storage area is in one of our extra bedrooms which is also my husband's home office. I have also taken over most of another bedroom (this holds the quilts that need to be quilted and extra batting) that used to serve as our guest bedroom but we haven't had guests in a while and I guess all future guests will have to stay in a hotel!:D

I have a doublewide mobile home that has one bedroom for me and two for quilting-computer. I could us another one for stash management. Ha Ha. This weekend we are cutting out the wall between the two bedrroms to make more room for my machine. I thought I shouldn't have to practically stand on my head to reach the machine. One thing I did that really rocks is I had an elelctrician put in 8 foot lng daylight lights. They are much imporved over the cheaper garage type of florescents. some of you may be able to have your DH do it. It is the best investment in my sewing room I have made. I can literally quilt in the middle of the night with good light. Good luck on your spaces. Cheryll

Archived