Hi, newbie here - I have a couple of questions. I finally used a prewound bobbin and had a separate bobbin case I planned to keep just for prewounds, so the backlash spring was out. Well, as per Superior Thread's advice as well as Jamie's video, I did the test where it would flip over in my hand and not lift. (It was a Glide prewound). Anyway, it kept lifting out of my hand and I kept loosening the bobbin case screw until I had it not lifting. However, as I was inserting it into my Freddie, the screw fell out and I couldn't find it anywhere on my multicolor Berber carpet. (!!!!!!!) Luckily I had another bobbin case I was going to keep for bobbins I wind, but now it's my new prewound bobbin case! So I fiddled with it but was afraid to loosen the screw too much, and it was still lifting slightly out of my hand when I got annoyed and just stuck it in. The tension looked ok but I thought I saw a few places that looked slightly eyelashy. so, I'm curious about the best way to check tension on prewound bobbins.

My second question is about using variegated thread in bobbin and top. Should I be seeing dots of the bobbin thread on top?

I swear, sometimes I feel like I'm Lucy in an 'I Love Lucy' episode! The last episode would have been when a washcloth got sucked up into my bobbin area on my Freddie. Thanks for any advice!

You didn't say why you're doing all the testing on your bobbin.  Why don't you just put the bobbin in the machine and do a test sew?  I've owned a TOWA gauge for 9 years and I have never once needed to use it.  I know how to test the bobbins using Jamie's method, but again I've never needed to do that. I always sew out a little test piece on the side when I start a new quilt and if I think I need to I will adjust the top tension.  My bottom thread always looks good.  I always use pre-wound bobbins so I just figured that was why. 

Word of warning - Jamie's method did not work for me at all!  Tried it shortly after I got my machine, and it messed my tension all up.  So it's good for some, but not for others.

I love my Towa gauge.  Wind all my own bobbins, and it really works well for me.

As for seeing dots of bobbin thread on the top, I would guess that your top tension is too tight.  Does it only happen with variegated threads?  That would strike me as unusual, but I don't have the level of experience many others here do.

When I use Glide pre-wounds I typically just have to pull a couple of yards out before I load.  Tension on the first couple of yards is tight and once I release those couple of yards from a brand new bobbin I'm good to go with typically very nice tension.

Just my two cents worth.

I wonder if that is why some folks have issues with Jamie Wallen's tension method?  When you review the video, he discusses pulling off a few feet of thread once you install the bobbin ,and before you pull the bottom thread through the needle hole.  He does the same thing once the thread is pulled through the needle hole.  This may be for a reason as Patrice shared.  We just may all be old dogs learning new tricks.

Have a great day.

Cagey

I never check my glide bobbins, the magnet makes it almost impossible.  I pull some thread off the bobbin and put it in my machine, it's always given me great tension.  Variegated threads differ, what brand are you using, we may be able to help you better.  My machine doesn't like Superior's Rainbows so use other brands.  However, it does sound like the top tension is a little tight.

Archived