how to skin a quilt?

Helen G

Helen,

That's what you do when you capture a wild quilt and want to mount it on your wall......:P

Actually, Bonnie is the "queen" of this technique (as she is of soooo much on this chat! Bow, scrape, grovel.....) - check out her technique at http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=13035

it's about 2/3 down the thread.

I hope (PRAY!) I never have to try this at home!

Bless you for asking this questions Helen, bless you Barb for the link, and most importantly bless you Bonnie for the technique!.

Now if I had only read this two days ago.... I just had a major mishap, which I have been a bit too embarassed to post about, but it did involve some frogging. Thank goodness only the very last row of my first attempt at a pantograph. It took me hours to do 1 10" row, using my ripper and a razor style ripper. The razor was faster, but twice, I made tiny cuts in the top. It is a present for my niece and I was able to repair it, thank goodness. But, I am so thankful for this information I know it will save me in the future.

Thank you all, I love this forum! :)

I second the "Barb you are too funny".

Thanks to Bonnie's method, I just spent the last two days skinning a quilt. If I hadn't read the post, I'd probably still be at it. I found that it was easier when I used my smallest rotary cutter. It was kinder on the top and backer.

Thanks again Bonnie, you saved the day!

Love your humour Barb....for a minute I began to wonder what kind of in home business I was starting here!! Thanks Bonnie for sharing your expertise--it is one of those things you want to know how to do, but don't want to have to do it. So I have tucked it into my "forum" file. I don't always read all the posts to a subject, so must have missed it. Your technique could save a major disaster so someone's quilt top.

Thanks to everyone on this forum who shares so generously with their knowledges and tips, you ladies have truly paved the way and made our journey easier.

We should think of some kind of award, trophy, ribbon and certificate we could give Bonnie. pen to suggestions for her title. She saves all of us many hours of heartache.

perhaps there could even be a catagory in a quilt show, Bonnie's saved quilts:D

The skinning really does help, also make sure you have a very sharp blade.. then it just nicks the thread, not into the top or batting.. and lean the blade, maybe 30 degrees, into the thread towards the batting, not straight in, straight up and down or at too large an angle. By doing this it lessens the fear of cutting into the top, or through to the back. If you are getting thru the backing, you are really pressing too hard, though I did see and understand she said she only nicked the TOP of the quilt.. Glad it was fixable.

With a real sharp blade, you barely have to touch the thread to cut thru it..

Bonnie is the Best..

BESTEST IDEAER for QUICK QUILTING TIPS

RitaR

Bonnie you saved me from hours of frogging. I'd only done one pass on this quilt, but I was frogging for hours and only got about 1/8 th of it done.

I used to reupholster furniture and used this method and had totally forgotten it. I use a one-sided razorblade and got it almost all done in about 2 hours.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Archived