Minkee backing?

Hi Kristina, I've used minkee several times, first don't try the minkee with the dots, they are just stretched spots and get caught on the machine. My Millie prefers the minkee on the bottom and since the threads sink into it it's easier to have it on the bottom. That way I can see where I've quilted! :)

I will only do all over designs with minkee it's just easier. It's stretchy and has a pile, if there are seams in it they should be as few as possible and pressed open due to the bulk. A light batting is best, Dream select or request loft. It quilts up nice just be sure to watch your roller tension and keep an eye out for ripples along the back edges.

I am sure that there are others on the list with more suggestions but that's my experience! Have fun!

i just took one off the frame that had minkee for backing:

- pin the edge that has been cut from the bolt. it's the stretchy-est edge. that way the non-stretchy way will be perpendicular to the rollers, making quilting it easier (MHO) i also try to load it with the nap going towards the belly bars.

-watch your batting. it doesn't "felt" like with normal cotton. tends to slip and slide.

- like above, watch your roller tension. to much and the quilt will 'ripple' when unpinned.

- i use a 3.5 needle. for me it seems to work better. *shrug*

- cutom quilting minkee can be a headache. i agree with an allover/E2E . but it DOES show the quilting in a way that makes it all worth it in the end.

i don't accept quilts that have pieced minkee backings . been there, done that, won't do it again.

hope this helps.

Shannon - - thanks for the minkee tips. I quilted one on my DSM, and nearly had to slap my Bernina! It was SO SLIPPERY it gave me a pain in my neck, literally, after about 20 minutes. I love the way it turned out, but wasn't nearly brave enough to load one on my Millie. But now I've got courage.

Laurie - - thanks for sharing the beautiful, eye-popping quilt. That's some really yummy custom stitching.

Julie

Originally posted by doodlebug

i just took one off the frame that had minkee for backing:

- pin the edge that has been cut from the bolt. it's the stretchy-est edge. that way the non-stretchy way will be perpendicular to the rollers, making quilting it easier (MHO)

Interesting because I always pin the selveges to the leaders (in my case, zippers). And, if the Minkee needs to be pieced, I make sure the nap all runs the same way otherwise it IS a PITA!!!!

Archived