Need this quilted

Hello I just finished this beautiful quilt top I am getting my long arm in a few weeks and I don't want to attempt to quilt this being a newbie....I am looking for someone who has some great ideas for what type of quilting will look good and anybody who may be interested in quilting it for me...I would love to see a lot of feathering in this quilt but I don't know if it will look good with all the florals any ideas would be appreciated...thanks Jackie I am posting a picture hope it works.

post--13461897743943_thumb.jpg

Nice top.

I would want to do something with feathers on this one. Wish I was doing it.

Most of mine have been edge to edge so far. I am looking forward to trying a semi-custom or custom approach.

This has lots of open space for feathers. What fun!!

You can always set it aside and practice on other people's tops until one day it hits you on what look you want. lol

If you don't do others quilt tops well then just go for it. Don't forget your Hartley for the circles to freehand your feather wreaths.

Casandra's Rose is a nice panto for this one I think.

Hi Jackie,

Just curious, where about do you live in the Chicago area?

As for feathering, because the background areas are a print fabric, you won't see the quilting. Now if you have a plain backing, you would see your quilting. You might want to put this aside until you are more comfortable with doing free hand quilting.

Have you considered taking some classes?

Char

I agree with Charlene. I hardly ever (if ever) recommend fancy quilting if the background is such that the quilting isn't going to show up and from what I see in your picture, the quilting probably would not show up on the top.

Depending on what you use for the backing, there are some really pretty pantos that would be pretty on the back side. I love Divine Vine when it shows up on the back.

Good luck!

Just a thought...you've got your blood, sweat and tears into this top so far...why quit now? Spend a couple weeks practicing on other things and then jump into this one...and you'll be able to say "I did every stitch BY MY SELF!! Get some cheap fabric that has a big design on it...large flowers, etc that would be easy to trace around them...but it in the quilting machine

UPSIDE DOWN....Backing where the pieced top would normally be...and then load the batting and a simple inexpensive backing...Trace around the

designs in the floral blooms, or whatever is your design. Throw in some

stipple quilting in between just for fun...and by the time you are finished with this "el cheapo" quilt, you are ready to quilt your own....a person can always use a quilt stuck in a bag in the car for emergency, or for the kids to

roll around on the floor watching TV...or try cheater fabrics and do likewise...some of them are kind of cute when finished. I cut mine into 1/4's and bind them for baby quilts for charities...ANyway...I hope I gave the impression that I'd sure love to see a picture of this quilt when YOU

are done with it....good luck and happy sewing..ML

thanks that is exactely what I decided to do is quilt it myself...I plan on spending the first few weeks to a month quilting on muslin and practicing pantographs.....I appreciate all the help and comments...anybody has an suggestions on a good pantograph for this quilt? Thanks again you are great!!!!

Hi Jackie.

When you get your machine you should also recieve a panto that is called Double Plume, it is from golden threads. I probably would have never purchased this one as it does not look like anything special on paper. I have used it on a few quilts with floral fabrics and it looks very elegant. It is one of the easier ones to stitch too.

• 1 month later...

I LOOOOVE both of your quilts. The double plume looks like it would be the perfect design for the quilt I'm currently working on for my daughter. I looked it up on the Golden Thread website, but the panto there looks like it's a much tighter design. Do you know if that's the one that was used for the 4 patch quilt?

Thanks for your help!

Archived