Need your help !! How would you load this quilt??

I have a quilt that I am struggling with deciding how to load it. The backing has 3" muslin strips sewed on either side. The width of the quilt matches the width of the backing without the muslin strips EXACTLY. :o

The outer border is applique and my customer requested piano keys from the applique to the outside edge. :(

If I load it with the muslin strips going vertically, then I risk sewing the seam from the muslin strips on either side when I do the piano keys. Or I risk puckers trying to keep the edges inside the seam lines. :(

If I load the quilt with the muslin strips horizontally, I can line up the top edge exactly with the seam line. However, I risk not having enough backing fabric when I get to the bottom of the quilt.

How would you load this quilt?

Debbi

Why do piecers do this?:o

At least she added strips when she realized she needed extra.

I would load the strips vertically so I could see and control the edges. Also, let her know you will probably over-sew the piano keys into the muslin but you will baste the edges for her. Then let her have the "honor" of removing the extra stitches to take off the muslin.

Or charge lots extra for the time it takes for you to do this. Quote her a price and give her the option.

I bet she never shorts a backer again!!!

Photos please, when you are finished??

I would do as Sandra said. call the lady, explain give her the option of replacing the backing with something more substantial. If she says don't worry about the sewing into the muslin strips than don't, load it the way Linda suggested and let the customer worry about what the back looks like. Like Linda said she most likely won't bring another backing like that again.

I have some people that bring me backings with strips added to the sides of the back to make it meet my 4" larger rule on all sides of quilt top and I explain whent they drop off that there is a very big chance that the strip will end up showing on the back of the quilt after binding. I also explain to them that I am only human and that I don't perform miracles ;) when all is done the burden is on them not me the way it should be.

Good luck.

I am with Linda, but when you warn her you are likely to catch the seams I would also mention that you are being forced to load the backing 'the wrong way' and that this may also cause tension problems. Rolling a seam up like that doesn't help at all and if we don't tell our customers they don't know.

I've only had one customer do this, and she is one of my best customers. She took the view that it would be nice if I could make the quilt fit and if it overran she would either trim the border or paint the fabric. Somehow I didn't mind once she took the problem back like that. Oh and of course as she wasn't too worried about it, it worked without problems.

Ferret

Thanks all. I would love to give this one back and have the backing fixed, but it's not a option for reasons that I can't say. Last night I was leaning toward loading them vertically. The muslin strip seams are pressed to the outside so here's the game plan....

I will he quilt back with the muslin strips vertically very carefully so that the seams are aligned exactly on top of each other with each roll.

I will load the quilt top very carefully making sure that it never extends beyon d the seam lines on the backing.

When I roll, I will pin baste the sides at the seam line. Unpinning only when necessary for a piano key. The piano keys will to go within 1/4 of the edge of the fabric so that it never catches the muslin seam and the stitching for travelling to the next key will stay inside the binding.

When the quilt is picked up I will point out the problem to the customer so she is aware of with the next quilt.

In theory it works. :D:D Wish me luck!!

Debbi

Ok, this baby is loaded. Everything is all lined up and ready to go. I put painters tape on the rollers to keep the muslin seam line and the edge of the quilt lined up as I go.

Now I just have to quilt the thing!! :D:D

I really is a very pretty quilt and nicely designed. The applique on it is wonderful. I'd like to post pictures when I'm done, but I'll have to find out for sure from my customer if it is ok to post a picture online.

Hopefully some pics will be coming in a couple of weeks!! :cool::cool:

Debbi

Hi Sharon. It's good to hear from you!!

My family is still recouping from the accident and we are all doing pretty well.

Mom is having some dental problems now and has to have some dental work redone. The doc told her that its typical for people to clench their teeth in an accident and that causes the damage to dental work.

My bruises are gone and the nose is healing. It's still pretty sore inside. I'm waiting for a whack on the nose from a door, book, or something else. It's going to hurt like the dickens!! My ribs and the bruised area around my kidney is also healing. I just have to be careful what I do. I'm learning the hard way when I've done too much!!

Thanks for asking. It would be nice to see you at our guild meetings again!!

Debbi

Archived