Extra Large Bias Binder (Quilt Binding Size)

I have heard several times, in the not too distant past, about an oversized presser foot, to apply quilt binding.

I've searched until I'm cross toed and can't find any mention of it..

Does anyone know of a link or url, where I can find it and check it out further. or,

If you have one and used it, how did you like it?

RitaR

Hi Rita..saw this at the spring Quilt Market in Portland last spring.

You can get information and the product from The Sewing Room here locally.

I called them to make sure this was the right place.

Phone # 503-643-4111, also have an e-mail you can contact them at.

PinsandNeedles4Y@gmail.com

They need to know what brand of sewing machine you have also.

Terry

Rita,

Is it a presser foot or an attachment that goes with the presser foot.If you can get a picture of this foot/attachment can you show it here, please? How wide would the finished binding be? I have a binding machine and I would like to make a binding wider than 1/2 inch finished. Thanks.

Janice, I have no idea, hope to find out later today when I call Oregon about it.. If I understood right though, it's a foot, since they need to know what make machine we have.

Connie and Heidi, I sure will let you know.. I just pray it works.. I just can't stand these bindings the way I'm putting them on now and can't do them by hand.

Later...

RitaR

I don't know if this is the same thing that you are talking about but I use a walking foot to put all my bindings on. Would not put a binding on without this walking foot. Yes, you do need to know what kind of machine and model you have before you buy one. A walking foot prevents the fabric from pushing forward on the top. A good investment.

Hi Knit... I have walking feet for my machines.. this is a big bias binder, if I understand things right. I thought it was on this chat folks were talking about it, but guess it was another. Anyways, will be calling The Sewing Room shortly to find out what other info I can get before I decide. I'd really like to see a pict of one, but have been unsuccessful in my google in finding any bias attachment.

Thanks, though,

Rita

I just called and talked to Mary at The Sewing Room and she said they don't have any large bias attachements at all for binding quilts..

Maybe I'll check the gadget girls.

If anyone hears of it, will you please let me know??

Many thanks,

RitaR

If you have a Bernina sewing machine, than you can get a lovely attachment for putting on binding. Does a skinny binding, and I don't know how you would go around corners. It doesn't come cheap though, about $250 in Canada.

There is a Bernina link on thequiltshow.com web site and you can see a video demonstration of it.

Deanna

I have the Martelli system for my Bernina, but it can be used with any machine that has the extra screw holes off to the side....it does make a very tiny binding 3/8inch...would be nice to have it a bit larger, it is suppose to be able to do miter corners, but I have yet to figure it out...so when and if I use it for craft items only I always round the corners.... IT was extremely expensive for how often I use it for...about $250.00, and right now I can't remember when I last used it so its got to be at least 5 years ago....:(

Rita,

I have an Artisan industrial machine with 2 binding attachments. One wider and the other narrower. I will sell the machine with the attachments for $500 plus shipping. I do not use this machine since I am no longer in business. The machine, table and motor are very heavy. I would recommend picking it up if you are interested.

Cheryl

PS. I am located between Charlottesville and Richmond off of I64 near Gum Spring exit 159.

Hi Anita.. the Kwik Bind might work will have to search back into it a bit.

Cheryl, I really appreciate the offer, but it's just more than we can afford now and for some time to come. We have a pricy trip to the west coast coming up in a couple months.. IF credit card company's stay friendly with the limits and interest rates..

Thanks for the offer.. if the trip doesn't pan out.. will see what I can do.

RitaR

Thanks Holly.. will be doing some email for info from them... they seem to be for commercial machines and all I have is a Viking and a Bernette.. hope they understand my questions.. I really get dutchy at times.. ;o)

Thanks again,

ritaR

I have to chime in here! I once had a Bernina dealer tell me that by the time you fiddled and fussed with the binding attachment, plus the high cost; you may as well put the binding on with out the attachment! I do have one for an old 1936 Singer, and it works, but works better if the "sandwich" in between the binding is kind of thin. Like binding an apron or maybe two layers of fabric. Didn't work too great for a quilt. At least, not for me.

:(:

Sharon Schamber has a youtube video on putting the binding on. She uses Elmers Glue! It works tho!

JMO,

LinneaMarie

waiting on my Millie :P

Archived