Hawaiian Quilts

I'm at my other job right now(doctor's office), but my piecers know where I work and deliver things here sometimes. Usually they call first. Today I had a new lady show up with her hawaiian quilt started in 1998. She had finally finshed it and called a friend to get my number. Well she just walks in and says "I have this quilt." So we looked it over and discussed options/colors and I started to give her a ballpark figure on the cost and she just held up her hand and said "I know its going to cost a lot, whatever, I just want it finished." I'm still amazed. And she doesn't even need it next week. :)

I have one in the works, but I'm making it for myself so I haven't kept track of the hours. Generally though, with Hawaiian quilts and the echoing, one line just follows the previous one. Can you post a picture, just so we see how complicated the applique work is?

Dianne

Hi April,

I did a Hawaiian abuot a year after I started. I was in over my head but it turned out fine. Lots of echoing. It was a king and she used home decorator fabric on the back. Very heavy. Anyway, here is the link to my blog. I can't see webshots from work but I think there are a couple photos in there of close-up.

http://ramona-quilter-big-dream.blogspot.com/2007/03/marys-hawaiian-quilt.html

I did echo work on my Baby Faces and it didn't take as long as I thought. It depends on how precise you are--I was pretty shakey at first, but after I got the rhythm and decided I didn't need a ruler, I just winged it and had fun. Wouldn't do that on a customer quilt. It's probably not any more expensive than SID or custom feathers.

2614870880100404369S500x500Q85.jpg

I have a book I bought in Hawaii, Poakalani Hawaiian Quilt Cushion Patterns and Designs. The quilting suggestions show lines varying from 1/4 to 1/2 inch with the description as quoted: "Your true guide for the quilting lines should be with your own feelings so as to make your quilt truly a more personal experience."

Hope it helps.

April, I am at the point of almost finishing the applique, there really isn't any piecing. Essentially the applique is cut out from a single piece of fabric the way you would cut a paper snow flake.

I checked 3 of my books on Hawaiian Quilting and this is the spacing info I located:

From Hawaiian Quilting as an Art by Kepola Kakalia:" Hawaiian quilting follows the contours of the pattern that is, the appliqued design at approximately 1/2 inch intervals."

From Hawaiian Quilting by Elizabeth Root: "The first row of quilting is worked on the background exactly next to the appliqued edge. (SID). Subsequent rows of quilting should be placed a uniform distance apart-1/2 to 1"

From Hawaiian Quilt Cushion Patterns and Designs by Poakalani and John Serrao: "SID. Quilt around the edge of the design. Next quilt the outer edge of the design, follow in an echo like style. Use your fingers as a spacing guide. Quilt no larger than the width of your index finger and no smaller than the width of your baby finger."

So there you have it. It's open to interpretation. A couple of years ago I was in Honolulu and I stopped into a store that specialized in "Hawaiian" quilts. Lots of quilts completely finished, some kits, minimal amount of other supplies. I was surprised at the quality of the fabric. I thought it was kind of on the poorer side. I was also disappointed that some of these quilts were imported from Asia. Outsourcing? They were also quite expensive.

Hope this info helps.

Dianne

I lived in Hawaii for several years and, while I never got the hang of that magnificent needle turn applique, I did see many beautiful and traditional quilts. I saw echo quilting on the older quilts that was 1/4 inch apart but have also heard the advice to use the width of your finger as a guide for spacing. (Don't get your fingers near that longarm, though) LOL:D

Um why not get your fingers near it? I do all the time, you do with a domestic machine and I find it gives me a lot more control. OK sewing over fingers with any machine is a very bad plan, as is hitting them with the needle screw, but having them nearby or indeed using them as a guide is quite possible and I know I am not the only one who does it. I can't remember who else I have seen using a finger instead of a ruler.

Ferret

Originally posted by Ferret

I can't remember who else I have seen using a finger instead of a ruler.

I use my fingers all the time, but then again I don't have a hopping foot....but then I would even then...you would just need to be a bit more careful.;)

I used my hopping foot to measure the echo. I lined the side of the foot up to the previous line and off I went. So is that 1/2 inch? Whatever it was, I thought it would never end. In fact, I called her and suggested that we throw in another floral design in the corners.

It's not pretty what happens to quilts when people just add more fabric to make it bigger without regard to the otherall design. Just isn't pretty.

By the way, this was 2 years ago. I think I would do it a bit differently now.

post--13461901286646_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by ramona-quilter

By the way, this was 2 years ago. I think I would do it a bit differently now.

Ok Linda--what would you do differently today?;)

Please share your thoughts and two more years of experience!

(This is great! I loved that quilt then, and I love it now. What would Linda do differently? How could she make that gorgeous quilt better than it is now?:) Let's pick her brain!)

Interesting quilt. Most Hawaiian quilts are a unique design. This is a kind of sampler! Looks like it doesn't like to lay flat. Maybe some steam will help. Good luck! It should turn out great. Custom quilting for sure. Don't you love it when someone says they don't care what it costs, just get it finished!

April,

Some starch and steam should help that to lay completely flat. Are they all echo designs. I don't know what the customer was thinking when she put that polka dot fabric for the background. JMHO! If she gave you the book and liked what they had then I'd just use that. I would change thread colors for each block which will be a PITA but I think seeing the thread really show would really take away from that quilt. You also might want to consider black batting depending on what is on the front.

The Black in my opinion,is really going to hurt the eyes on those lighter background pieces....not sure I would like that, but again not sure I would again do a quilt that they brought the book and said I want it just like the book.

Tryed that once, but the book's quilt had been hand quilted, first mistake was taking it, second was I didn't have the EXACT stencils for the quilt, close but not 100% perfect....customer screamed like a cut cat it didn't look just like the book. DUH...you can't make a machine quilted quilt look hand quilted.

Even saying I can get it close didn't make this person happy, she wanted it to be exact....my answer should have been then take it to that quilted to have it done....:o

Originally posted by April W

Did I mention the back is purple and she wants the whole thing quilted in one color? Black or purple?

YIKES! I'd use monopoly on top, purple on the back if she doesn't want different thread. I think either purple or black on top is going to really look bad....just my opinion! Just not my flavor at all!

Archived