oil dripping

I am quilting a small throw and my machine has dripped two spots of oil on it. First, how do I get them out? Second, why did this happen. I haven't been able to use my machine for about 3 weeks, so I cleaned and oiled it this morning. Did I just over oil? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Peggy

P.S. How many times do I have to read "don't let the machine rest over the quilt" before it sinks in. I guess I learn things the hard way.

Peggy,

Here's a quote from a thread in January:

"Be careful when you oil - I always run on a batting scrap after I oil, just in case the needle picks up a little excess oil and transfers it to the fabric... ask me how I know...

If this happens, sprinkle a little cornstarch on the oil spot on your fabric and let it dry - the cornstarch should soak up the oil

Julia"

Yes, you are over oiling :o Before oiling the wicks, touch each one with a dry finger. If your finger comes away wet, don't oil that wick. Don't worry about how long it has been since you last used the machine. Test each wick and only oil them with a drop when it is dry to the touch. The only area you need to oil on a daily basis (when using) is the hook assembly.

Do like Mary Beth said and remove the side cover and wipe up the excess oil.

Originally posted by Katydids

Do like Mary Beth said and remove the side cover and wipe up the excess oil.

Patty,

I have never been able to get my side cover off because the screws are tightened so tight. I think the guys at the factory added a few drops of Locktite and then torqued these screws tight with air wrench to make sure they never ever ever ever will move again! I even had my DH this weekend with his he-man brute force try to budge one of these screws and he could not do it! We were afraid we might strip the screws (or he'd pop a blood vein in his neck) so we stopped.

How in the world is a girl supposed to get into this side compartment when these screws are bolted in so tightly? There is absolutely no way I can get them to budge. So needless to say, I've never even got to look in that side comparment for maintenance. :(

Shana:

Take a Phillips screwdriver that fits the screws correctly. Take a hammer and give it a whack, not a tap but a real whack. I have never failed to get a screw loose using this method. What this does is push the threads on the screw away from the threaded area in the machine. It will then come out fine. Some of the screws are put in the machines when the paint has not fully cured and this will sometimes cause them to be a bit harder to remove. I've has screws with damaged heads and the new screw removers work great, you just need a drill. I had a allen set screw head that was stripped on a CQ and this tool worked great. There are several manufactures that make them including Sears.

As far as oil dripping the only way this can happen is over oiling. I have yet to see an APQS machine that has had the wicks under oiled.

John

We have ALWAYS left our machine sitting over the quilt wherever our last stitching happened to be! (APQS brand only. Many of the other machines do leak oil overnight!)

The only time you need to be moving your machine when you leave for the day is if you are OVER oiling it! Remember is only takes a small amount of oil to make your baby happy.

Don't think of your machine as an entrant into the "oiled pig" contest!:D

Archived