can't remember who it was, but...

someone posted in the last two weeks about getting little loopies of thread that were twisted and stitched down. i can't remember who posted, but last spring i had the same problem, and when i read the post i couldn't remember what i did to fix it- til today.

check your needle screw. after about a year it will get a grove in the base of it where it is tightened against the needle. that little groove can cause the slightest play in the needle causing the little loopies.

i change my needle screw every year.

i tried to take a picture of it, hope it is clear enough. see the 'dent' in the old one and how the new one is smooth...

post--13461901799805_thumb.jpg

my machine was used when purchased, so the needle screw was appox. 4-5 yrs old.

i should add that i don't crank on the screwdriver when i change the needle. i use just enough toque to tighten the screw snug, so it's not that i'm 'over doing' it. i don't know if it was the direct cause, but after putting in a new screw the loopies went away...*shrug*

and what i had wasn't a tension issue. it would happen 4 to five times on an entire quilt, and i'd have 'perfect' tension in the rest of the quilting. but it did seem to get worse, before we figured it out....

Archived