Coral snake in back yard this a.m.!

When I was in the 3rd grade (back during the covered wagon era) I took a small garden snake to school for show and tell - I would do anything back then - and my teacher thought it was a rubber snake until I put it on the floor and it slithered toward her - to make a long story short, I was told to never bring a living thing to show and tell again, the teacher ended up standing on her desk, and I had to stay in during recess as a punishment. My mom and dad got really angry at me cause they didn't know I was going to do it but after I had gone to bed, I heard them laughing about it. :P:P:P

Fast forward 50+ years and now I would be the teacher on the desk. I don't mind looking at them at the zoo behind glass, but don't want any part of them.....

So glad that your DH saw this before it saw him.

I'm with Shannon and Dory too. Rattlers are the only snakes that get killed here. My 8 year old son saw a snake under my wood box in the house, at the end of last summer. I peeked under and sure enough...a baby bull snake. He wanted it, but since it was a baby, I let it go outside to grow up a bit. Maybe this year we will see it. They are great at keeping the rattlesnake population down and the gophers and mice. With 7 kids running around outside...I need to know that something is out there hunting rattlers! I always keep a shovel by the door...just in case a rattler makes its way close!

Hey Sharon, I just had that conversation this weekend. I was shocked to find out some LDS people I know actually shoot guns. Has nothing to do with LDS, just the people. They don't hunt but they target shoot and have a whole gunsafe full of guns and ammo. I carry concealed because of my job and other issues. Took all the classes. Been hunting since I was 12. That's --oh too many years--:D:D:D:D. I tried turkey hunting. Sneaky little gobblers. Hated geese and duck hunting after standing in an ice covered swamp on New Years Day for hours only to have the fog come in and the geese fly off. No more of that. Elk, deer. No bear cuz I won't eat the meat. Only what I will actually eat. No mulies either. The meat is terrible.

Nancy

Shannon...you are quite the gal! Quilting and hunting...anything else you want to tell us?!?

My husband shoots wildlife with a Canon D50 EOS Camera Body. That is the extent of our hunting even though we live in a great place with lots of Roosevelt Elk and plenty of Boone&Crocket record Mule Deer coming out of these parts.

WOW, you never know what kind of discussion will come from one little post. :P

We only shoot with a Canon D10 (I think); no guns. The one time we thought we might need a gun (two mountain lions in our barn lazing on the hay:o), our shotgun only had birdshot in it:( That would have probably made the kitties very angry. They stayed for two days, never bothered the dogs or the horses and left periodically so we could still feed. We think they may have had a kill nearby, but we never saw anything.

Shannon, I used to have a deer head on my wall as well...bought Roscoe at a yard sale:D:D:D

Since we live in the middle of hazelnut country, I'm pretty good with a squirrel gun. I won't shoot the silver grays though. They are just too pretty, and there aren't as many. I have shot ground squirrels (rodents), skunks, and raccoons--all pests to a farmer.

Yesterday morning this is what I saw out the kitchen window. She was EATING my snowball bush! and HE was just on the other side of the driveway, down the bank, nibbling the leaves on the apple tree. It's not the greatest picture, but I think you can see her rump beside the snowball bush.

2867989490100404369S600x600Q85.jpg

Shannon,

I have a hunting license too. I could never hit anything, target or live deer. In the beginning I thought it was horrible to shoot a deer until Bambi came into the yard and ate my garden, including tomato plants, bushes, tulips and arborvites. Then they weren't so cute anymore. The woodchucks are pretty bad too. I only scared them since I can't "hit the broad side of a barn" so to speak. We are pretty lucking where I live because we have snakes that help keep the mouse and mole population down. The rattlesnakes are mostly up in the Adirondacks or the Catskill mountains and thankfully not around here. Maybe its the climate that keeps them in the mountains.

Charlotte

This is very educational, I thought that I was just going to learn about quilting on the site! We have a wildlife problem too with raccoons, however it is what they leave that is of concern to us as they are contaminating our pool. Yuck! Any suggestions? We have had the most success with motion activated sprinklers but they seem to have lost their fear of those. Even the pest control company failed dismally.

Sue

Sue, you may have neighbors who are feeding them as pets. That will definitely bring those raccoons out of the woodwork. Not much you can do. AND they do love water. I can always tell when they're around, my on-the-ground-birdbath-used-to-be-a-dog-waterdish has more muddy water in it than the robbins leave. Our neighbors all have chickens and livestock, so we shoot pests for their benefit.

My dad had some visiting raccoons once, started feeding them dog food cause they were so cute, even sat up at night with a video camera and spot light. He got some great pictures. But then there was a population explosion and he had to stop feeding them. They fought for the food too! A while back there was a virus that wiped out a raccoon herd in the Portland area. Or maybe someone poisoned them, I don't remember the details.

Electric fences work, but you have to put up several wires at just the right distance from the ground.

Good luck

Boni,

We have neighbors with an outside dog which I am sure is part of the problem. They come and check out any leftovers. They are cute from a distance! We have had so little rain here this winter so I am sure that the pool is even more of a lure. I wouldn't mind them if they weren't so messy. It is like having a pack of dogs without any of the benefit. I don't think we can go as far as an electric fence where we live as we are too close to our neighbors and I would hate to shock them! Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Sue

Some friends of our have a large Koi pond in their backyard--the focal point, and it's beautiful. They had trouble with Great Blue Herons coming and eating their Koi! The only fix they could do was put netting over the whole thing. It really spoiled the look, but it kept the koi safe.

You need that pool for fire protection, right? If you're in a drought area, fire danger? it will come in handy. You are probably right about the little critters seeking water during a dry spell. Those raccoons are vicious! They have a frightening growl/scream when threatened. Our dog of long ago treed one once and was trying to climb the tree to get it. That raccoon knew he was toast when DH went out with the shotgun. The raccoon really put up a fuss with that dog, growling, screaming, and such. I was sweating by the time I dragged the dog away so DH could put him out of his misery. Whew! Don't get near those cute little critters, and don't let any children try to pet them either. (it's the mother in me, I hope you know this already)

Archived