I read somewhere sometime ago that someone used Maquire's Wax on the wheels or rails on their machine. Can anyone tell me if they do and how do they use it? Does APQS approve using this? Will it make the machine head glide smoother? I am a newbie and still trying to get nice round circles, not ovals. TIA

Yes there was a thread about waxing or not waxing rails only --not the wheels -- most chose not to wax . Wax will build up which will be harder to get off then apply again . APQS does approve I think they even suggest it in the manual . Waxing is another personal choice . All I do is wipe my rails down each day with soft rag and rubbing alcohol works great also for my wheels I take a q-tip with alcohol on it go around each wheel .

My millie glides smooths . I believe getting nice circles just takes some practice then more practice . That is what has worked for me .

good luck and welcome to our forum

Happy quilting

With PPP your circles will do better. In order to get better control, I actually did a queen size ebay top made with lots of triangles and didn't use a ruler. This helped immensely learning to guide the machine at an angle. Over time, (like 1 year later, I sew part time) all of a sudden it felt like anything was possible on the machine. It actualy moved like I wanted, I could retrace over the top of feathers, etc. What a liberating feeling that was.

Old ebay quilt tops are super, you have no emotional or time investment in making a top and there are lots of things you can try like stencils and no one gets hurt.

There are some who do and some who use to and some who have never used the wax on the rails (rails only never on the wheels).... those of us who use to either have given up the wax and moved to the Edgerider wheels or decided it really wasn't helping that much anyways.

If you decide to wax...just apply a very light light application and make sure you buff it off completely with excess batting or paper towel. Like Caron stated...it lasts about 2-3 days and then you need to do it again. I personally gave up...to much of a hassle for me.

:PI still have a full can...maybe I need to go buff the car instead. ;)

I'm a firm believer on maintenance....so - after every quilt I like to clean my entire machine and table and after every 3 bobbins I oil the bobbin area. Waxing included. My DH has taught me well on maintenance -- he had a Stihl chain saw for 25 years, when he finally took it in for repair, the man said he had never seen a saw that old in such good shape. It does pay to do some minor maintenance for the life and performance of the machine. It seems we are all in such a hurry these days that we don't want to maintain our precious equipment.

Sharon

Originally posted by countrystitcher

I'm a firm believer on maintenance....so - after every quilt I like to clean my entire machine and table and after every 3 bobbins I oil the bobbin area. Waxing included. Sharon

I totally agree Sharon that maintenance is a great thing...my old machine shines and acts just like a newbie....she is 12 years old. However, from talking with the techs at the different shows, they are telling us now not to wax or if you do don't do it as often. Its not needed and its something that maybe shouldn't have ever been brought up. The Jury is still out on this...some still swear by it, others like me have stopped because its not needed...

As long as you are cleaning your wheels and keeping them clean from dirt, lint and excess threads and the rails clean of both oils and black oxidiation free, that is really all that you need to do.

Its just a step that maybe you really don't need to continue to do...but if you do, I guess to make sure you get it mostly off. The aluminum will oxidize regardless if you wax or not...so if you just rub it clean each time that will keep that off.

Edge Rider Wheels can be obtained from Kings Men Quilting Supply http://www.kmquiltingsupply.com/

Here's the direct link to that page.

http://www.kmquiltingsupply.com/Parts/Wheels.asp

They run $160.00 per set.

I have them and it made a world of difference with my machine but its antique and heavy.

Hi there, I think I might owe Carol BIG time - I was checking the posts out as I do everyday and she mentioned the rubbing alcohol and the cutip for cleaning on the wheels. I who have only checked for loose threads on my wheels - dips a cutip and runs it around my wheels and didn't that little cutip come out disgustingly black. Took me several whirls around to get it clean. So - I am thinking my circles might just improve as well!! Carol - we haven't met in person, BUT should we ever - I owe you a coffee! dianne

Hi Sara!!

Welcome to the chat. You finally logged on after lurking for so long ;) I wouldn't recommend waxing the rails, it does build up over time and causes problems again. You may just need a wheel adjustment. Do you still have my email? send me a photo of your wheel placement.

Alcote -

Edgeriders..... For the longest time I didn't think I needed them, well, just recently my Freedom started getting rough to move and would throw me off my course. I bit the bullet and bought the ER wheels. Wow, what a difference! I like them so much I became a dealer just recently. I have the wheels in stock for APQS machines, both with new and old style channel locks. They are not yet up on my site, but if you are interested, you can email me.

Wow, thank you ladies so much! I thought that it was something that once you started you had to keep up. If it doesn't really help, why start. I guess that wax is best left for the car. LOL I agree that maintenance is the best thing to keep up. I have a regime that I go through each time I start up the machine, and when I am going to load a quilt. I have been cleaning the wheels and rails with alcohol and q-tips and a micofiber cloth. And dust, dust , dust the whole shebang.

Thank you for the warm welcome and the help. Yes, Patty, I am here. No longer a lurker, but a reader for sure. Thank you all for the help!

Archived